import duty on personal effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee Filkins

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Does any one know, what is the duty on importing ones personal effects if one buys a place there for renting or personal holiday use. I am will be very keen to know the position if there is a duty what % is it on furniture, electrical, Picture frames, sculpture, etc.

I have collected aot of the above things over my years of travel and would like them to be used in morocco. Most items purchased out of EU have duty paid on them.

I have been to moroccan government websites and have e.mailed them but no reply.

B

Beluga

What I know from French people who lives there , it is very hard too imported in Morocco also you personnel effects , the taxes are very high and depending from what it is. I know that some French peoples makes arrangement with transport compagnies too put there personnel effects in the back of the truck

M

moroccobound

There is NO duty on personal efects as long as you bring it into Morocco at one time, ie, you can't bring your items into the country piece by piece.

M

moroccomania

Hi camel,

This is what I understand. You can import your personal effects and furniture into morocco without any import duty. However, your residency permit needs to be issued before you can do that and change of residency legalised in your current country. If you import a car, it has to leave morocco every 3 months!!

I know this may not help much considering this is for someone residing in morocco and you are enquiring about rentals! Like moroccobound says, if you import one at a time, you shouldn't have problems because tourists are allowed to "temporarily" import various items into the country. Ofcourse, that may not bode well for flight costs every time you have to take one chair with you!!

L

Lee Filkins

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you both for your replies. I have the furniture etc stored in south of Spain and will take all of it in one go.

I have done a test run of taking my car accross to Tangiers. It was a complete night mare, my car documents, passport etc was whisked away from me. This person had no uniform etc. He could have be anybody and do the runner with my documents. It took nearly two hours and despite of this I was still stopped twice within the port area.

On the way back I was once again given a third degree. The whole car had to be checked including a screw driver being used to hammer the body thus affecting body work. This made me lose my ferry.

M

moroccobound

Camel

Sometimes you are lucky and are wisked through, sometimes you have the experience you did. It is the luck of the draw I am afraid.

I hope your next experience will be more pleasant.

L

Lee Filkins

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
moroccobound said
"There is NO duty on personal efects as long as you bring it into Morocco at one time, ie, you can't bring your items into the country piece by piece."

How does the customs know it is your first time ????. How does one prove that this is their first time, i.e. what is the mechanics of doing so. What paper work will be required ?

I, guess that they will ask you to show your property purchase documents, and after that you will probebly be given a time span say e.g six months etc or perhaps write/stamp something on the passport.

L

Lee Filkins

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Moroccobound:
" I hope your next experience will be more pleasant."
Not with my looks and luck ???????????, I am fair in complexion, have a british passport, drive a Spanish registered convertable car and usually travel on my own on visits of this nature.

Moroccan, customs can have a feild day. To be fair to them with their working ethos and lack of exposure to the melting pot of indivuals from London. They would find the above combination an abnormal mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.