ad

If the Union was to break up, which property markets are most attractive?

P

PostBrexitInvestor

There is ongoing concern that the Union may be on the verge of breaking up with England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland potentially going their separate ways. If this was to happen, which countries look most attractive on an independent basis?

D

diyhelp

England would be the main beneficiary if this was to happen. However, everything is relative and assuming trading between the former Union countries was to continue, you could see countries such as Scotland benefiting. However, all of the Union members could find themselves outside the EU and outside the UK - England would surely be able to negotiate the best trade deals?

R

realdeals

England would continue to be the standout market but Scotland might surprise many - assuming it could afford to go it alone. We all know why Scotland joined the Union in the first place - it was bankrupt and bailed out by England.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
After the shambles in parliament today there is every chance we could see a renewed push by the SNP to break-up the Union. Where this would leave Scotland is anyones guess - outside of the EU and outside of the Union?

F

FWL

Interesting to see the DUP suggest they would prefer to protect the UK Union by staying within the EU if it came down to a straight choice between saving the UK Union or leaving the EU. Bet nobody expected that :)

A

Alan GIddins

The most quiet of people have been Senn Fein during Brexit mess. Just think what they could do if they took up their Westminster seats? There is a strong chance the younger generation in N.I. probably will vote to join the Republic in a united Ireland if they are given a vote, which option is in the Good Friday Agreement. Also depending how BREXIT goes, more people in Scotland who voted to remain in the UK union, may shift towards independence now.

R

realdeals

Hi Alan, I live in Scotland and while the independence referrendum continues to be on a knife edge I am not sure we have seen much of a switch in favour of independence or even indyref2.

A

Alan GIddins

Hi Alan, I live in Scotland and while the independence referrendum continues to be on a knife edge I am not sure we have seen much of a switch in favour of independence or even indyref2.
I think everything depends on how BREXIT goes, or does not go!

P

PostBrexitInvestor

I see that Nicola Sturgeon has been in talks with Theresa May today - interesting to see she is no involving the devolved parliaments now. Too little too late?

A

Alan GIddins

Scottish Government are paid lip service by Westminster. PM May had painted herself into a corner from day one of her own making. As Home Secretary cutting police numbers, Windrush scandal, now Brexit. I have always thought May is a remainer and her deal is a remainer deal, maybe she planned this all along?

F

FWL

I dont think any of the front line politicians want to leave the EU - they are all looking forward to climbing onto the EU gravy train when they finish up - Nicola Sturgeon especially. Look at Kinnock, the worst Labour Leader in living history and he has amassed a £5m fortune since joining the EU political gravy train.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I think that investors are now so used to the failings of MPs that property markets especially just ignore the surrounding chatter. You will notice markets work on cold hard facts and can handle any situation when they know the upside and the downside. Uncertainty is the worst possible situation for investors.

F

FWL

One thing I find strange - from a neutral standpoint - if it is bad for the UK to leave the EU in the eyes of the SNP, why does it make sense for Scotland to leave the UK (a market with which Scotland does x6 trade than it does with the EU). Also, as part of the UK, Scotland is one of 4 components, as part of the EU it would be one of 28 with no voice whatsoever.