I want to invest in property, where is best

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neustria

to Pyramid James
The US real estate market is down 12% overall in the last year but their are great variations region to region. It is misleading to say that it has hit rock bottom when in fact it is still in freefall. It might be time to consider getting into this market when the dollar begins to appreciate against the major currences. Real estate will necessarily pick up when the economy picks up. If house prices start rising again in the US along with an appreciating dollar then investors there will have doubly benefitted. Some "experts" are saying that the US is not in a Recession, but 80% of the population feels that it definitely is. The stock market dropped this week because of the rising price of oil. Americans must drive and for them the rise in the oil price is not offset by a strong currency. As long as they are spending a fortune (for them!!) to feed their cars, the feelgood factor will be hovering around zero.
Neustria

P

paul rizza

think you will find thecaribbean is far superiorto Morocco

Never had a recession, growth approx 11% month and annual rental returns around 25- 35% of completion value
regards
Paul

I like to do a uniqueness test. Problem now is there is so much choice, that competition for your resale market will be fierce and resale costs are high (many agents want at least 5%).

Ive invested in Germany but its a difficult market to operate in.

The best is the Government development known as Saidia in Mediterrenean Morocco - there is nothing that can compare.

You will find immensly more facilities on this one development compared with ANY other, to include the biggest most modern marina in the Med.

M

Maitam

Anyone ever considered Singapore? The country is governed strictly with respect for rule of law and buyers of properties are well protected. Of course, one still encounters shoddy workmanship if one is unlucky, which is same all over the world. But if you pick the developer carefully, you will be very safe.

The market is pretty expensive and rental yield is about 4%, which isn't great. But keep it as an option. If you time it right, you can probably get good capital appreciation.

I am from Singapore and I bought my home in 2002. It has gone up by over 20% in marekt value since then. But that's because my home is not located in the prime Districts 9,10 and 11. In those areas, properties appreciated much more over the same period.

M

Maitam

I thinkk you are wrong...I believe it to be a great area. There is so much going on here....There is a huge theme park that is being built, DUBAILAND, just like Disneyland. Cause of this there are going to be employees, service industry people renting apartments. Throughout the year it is so hard to find spaces in Hotels. You have to book way in advance. People are inquiring everyday for housing.

Another area, DUBAI SILICON OASIS, is being built. This is supppossed to be the technology hub for this area. All the major technological companies are opening their offices here. For this many residential buildings are being constructed. Shopping Malls, hospitals, a new Academic University, parks, supermarkets.

I just told you about 2 projects. There are so many more in development. i would advise you to think about it again and make a journey here yourself. Once you see in yourself you will then realise what its all about.
I agree with you. I just came back from a vacation in Dubai and couldn't stop raving about the place. It's probably a bit of holiday euphoria, but I certainly think Dubai is a place to look into. I am not sure whether right now is the right time to go in since the market there is surrounded by so much hype. But in 2 or 3 years' time, prices might ease off?

I am hoping to invest in some overseas properties, sort of like retirement planning, and had done some research on the internet. It would appear that Dubai is more welcoming than Thailand. In Thailand, up to a maximum of 49% of the apartments in a building can be held by foreigners on a freehold basis. But there doesn't seem to be such a restriction in Dubai.

One thing I have noticed is that developers' websites don't really say much about the interior of their developments. For example, is the flooring wood or marble? How about the bathroom features?

The other major concern is political instability in the Middle East. What if there is a shooting war in the region?

Marcus Ng

Marcus Ng

Property Investment in Singapore

Dear James.

Maybe you can take a look at the singapore property market for investment

I am looking to invest in property, I am purely looking to make money on the property not use it for a holiday home, I have been looking at Dubai, Southern Cyprus but I’m concerned I’m to late, I am also considering Northern Cyprus & Bulgaria, the prices are great but I’m not sure on the risks invoiced or the predicted return I could receive.

I have also looked at the USA as property is hitting rock bottom but again I’m not sure if or when it will go back up.

If anybody knows where the best places overseas to invest I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you

James

Italgenio

Italgenio

italy

italy offers some great investment opportunities at the moment, especially for developers. italianpropertyexpertdotcom

D

DOG

Florida Property

Hi I am new to this forum but have been investing in property for a number of years. One investment was in Florida. It is true that prices have crashed, but if you paid the right price and chose the right location your investment should be sound.
The good news is that the 3 year decline in Florida appears to be over. It had to happen sometime!
I have been following the market closely and use data from the Florida Real Estate Commission - FREC

When buying in Florida remember to learn how the buying system works!! it is not the same as other places. I used a buyer’s broker who had access to all the properties for sale and was working for me NOT the seller.

This way you will find out the facts rather than the fiction the seller will have you believe.

I found a good company based in the UK who has been operating since 1986
they helpt me find a property and set me up with a good management company etc.

I am not sure if I am allowed to name them or give out details so I won’t unless asked.

Now does seem to be Florida’s time again and with the exchange rate at almost 2 to 1 you can get a lot for your money.

Here are some links to some useful information.

(July 10, 2008 – Orlando, FL) Indicators that Orlando’s housing market is marching toward a balance continued their onward progression in June, led by a four-month decline in inventory that has resulted in a 46.18 percent decrease in the months-of-supply since January. Other positive signs include an increase in the median home price and an ongoing increase in the monthly number of pending sales.

B

baqi

The Paradise of Investments only DUBAI

Hi guys i want give you example, the worlds most multi companies now in dubai multi cultural people in dubai many many things, worlds tallest tower ,bigest man made islands, the mall of dubai the worlds bigest shoping mall,indoor ski,world class golf corce, horse corce,water parks,business parks,motor city,sports city , MICHAEL SCHUMACHER business avenue, IRIS BAY,BORIS BECKER tower,,CANDA business center these all in one place BUSINESS BAY 260 TOWERS, First land in the world people become millioner just sitting in homes, in the palm jumerah island one garden home price was in launching 2.8m(AED) NOW 16.2m to 22.5m, ....... Paradise for investers ?

D

deejay-55

From Orlando Business Journal July 30:
"Orlando's inventory of new subdivision housing falls - As people continued moving into new homes faster than builders were erecting them, Metro Orlando's inventory of new subdivision housing fell again during the second quarter ... New-home starts in Orange, Seminole, Osceola and Lake counties totaled ... 12 percent higher than the number of first-quarter starts, a sign that builders were anticipating an increase in demand."

D

DOG

I have been looking at Dubai, but the upcoming problem that I can see is the over supply of property. The numbers of properties being built are not in line with the increase in demand! More units entering the rental market will put a strain on rental yields. More resale’s entering the market as rental falls short of mortgages etc will see prices fall.
I think we have missed the boat in Dubai. 5 or 6 years ago may have been the time, but I can see limited growth now, and difficult times ahead!
We have seen this happen in many other countries Spain, Florida, Bulgaria and here in the UK (a third of buy to let properties remain empty in many UK cities) - and Dubai is not immune.
You cant keep building for buildings sake! You need an internal market in order to sell on your property. With so many new builds coming onto the market, selling a re sale would become be very difficult. Now may be the time to sell.
Sorry Baqy but quoting past growth does not give an indication of future growth.
Why not quote total number of properties to be built, Total visitors for 2005, 2006, 2007. and official growth for the first half on 2008? Prices cant keep increasing at the rate they have in the past and a leveling out is inevitable.

gsinker

gsinker

I work in both Florida & Panama, I have seen the reports in the blogs which the Orlando Business journal is. The so called Real Estate experts on there seem to be in an alternate universe to the rest of the population.

Inventory has gone down because people have stopped listing and are just letrting them go to foreclosure.

There are bargains in Orlando to be had but you need cash as getting a mortgage is next to impossible not just for foreign nationals but also US buyers.

To say I spend most of my time in Panama now is an understatement.

That market is still on the increase. Rents are high and Caribbean property is very strong.

Anyone wants details on Panama and why people are missing the boat on this country email or PM me

L

lena green

Don't come to Portugal

Hi there, this is a warning, don't come to Portugal. There are 2 million people in the UK looking for homes abroad and if they all came here ( I live here) I would never be able to get served at the bar!!
Yes, we do have fab beaches, but please keep it a secret they`re full enough already and don't tell anyone about our fish restaurants, fresh caught delicious but not enough to feed two million.....and our sunshine is permanently out...........out of the question for foreigners as we want it to ourselves.

Our villas, apartments and golfcourses are for us, not to share, so please don't come, I hate waiting to 'T 'off and don't want you livin' next door to me unless your nice. (which you probably are but I`m in the bar and don't have the time to get to know you).

Coming to live in Portugal is not an easy transition so give it some serious thought. You will have to forsake things you are accustomed to which could cause great stress on you, think carefully. You will be living without your current job and will have to get used to lying on the beach all day (not easy). You will have to adjust to cheap alcohol (difficult) you will have to drive very carefully, we have no speed cameras to help you break the laws, you'll really miss your home being broken into regularly (we can help you there).
Your rubbish will be removed so regularly, they take it away before its put out, as much as you like and I know you will have a problem with this. The low taxes will bamboozle you, you'll think the friendly people are after something, they are......your friendship nothing more and you won't believe you get change every time you tender a tenner....lots of it.

So, with all these difficulties, I suggest you all stay away from Portugal its a best kept secret which we are'nt telling anyone about, especially that Sir Cliff Richard has been here since the sixties, grows his own wine and is a great hit. He's on a permanent 'Summer Holiday' and so am I. There just ain't no space left. Go away.

Ps. The wine is a problem as well, we grow our own and its very inexpensive and totally addictive, so beware of Portugal and what it has to offer, you may find if you ever get here, you may never want to go home again.............

Zankee

Zankee

Money is in the Maths

Hi James

Was looking around in the forum and notice that not many people are interested in the numbers! I fail to understand this. I think that investments in 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc properties should be purely about "how much money will this put in my bank account from day 1" taking into account, inflation, interest, cap growth, vacancy rates, maintenance, levies etc.

If your after capital growth, then it doesn't matter where you invest. Capital is a phantom object that does not have to be realized if you structure your finances properly. When capital appreciation does arrive it comes with nasty taxes etc. Not to mention the rule of 72 which is divide 72 by the current inflation rate, the answer you get will be the number of years that it will take for the purchasing power of your money to half.

Property investing is about calculating the rate of your cash flow not the capital appreciation. And your cash flow is determined by at least 18 variables in any property deal, no matter where it is

O

OwnerInvest

Credit crunch and investing

Re-sale property is generally quite risky at the moment because of the credit crunch etc...

People can't get mortgages, value of property is dropping and in countries like Bulgaria and Northern Cyprus there is already a glut of property available on the market.

Generally this is why the prices are dropping because people can't get rid of them. If all you want is a pure property investment then hotel rooms or apart-hotels might be your answer.

We are about to launch a product in Bali that that guarantees a NET return of 8% for 3 years. This might even be for 5 years. However, the management company who will manage the resort are predicting 70% hotel occupancy within 3 years.

If they achieve this (and they have an impressive CV) investors are looking at between 18-19% return and that's aside from any capital appreciation. Another bonus is that for up to 4 weeks a year you get to use it for FREE.

There are no ongoing maintenance costs of any kind and the whole thing has been underwritten by HSBC and Allianz – the UKs biggest insurance company.

Hope that adds something else to the mix :)

L

layangardens

PJ
A couple of pointers my friend. If you looking for a buy too let in the UK. i have a property im wishing to get rid of, for the fact of i'm emigrating, so selling up. I have a four bedroom terraced in the quiet area of Morley Leeds.This is situated close to all schools, amenities and motorway network, As you will propbally know, Leeds is now a major player in the financial market and investors and business people are making Leeds . The norths Capitol, so if your interesed in the house,please reply with your email address and i will send you a picture. Its a bargain for what it is.Also reference your question abouts buying abroad, Have you considered Phuket in Thailand , which is still increasing in equity year after year and has a solid all year round guaranteed rental system. I understand farangs cant buy land or houseother then in their thai wifes name or company name, But condo's are a massive seller and at the moment you have the Russains buying in droves, Hong Kong, Singagporeans people as well. Its the florida coast of asia .If you need any more advise you know where to catch ME. Good luck with the investing

Tony

N

nricklee

Well, i prefer to buy property in Dubai is really good.As u don't have to follow hard terms and conditions and investing here u 'll get surely profit.

P

paryskloof

Hi there,

Can anyone please tell me if they've noticed or are anticipating a rise in interrest from overseas investors in property in South Africa for the 2010 Fifa World Cup?

O

oregon woodsmoke

I'm not sure why an event that only lasts a few days and won't be repeated would cause a rise in real estate prices.

It will be very good for those who own short term rentals--- but only for a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.