I got burned too!

A

All at sea

I am also an investor in Belmonte, is there any more news. I was offered a straight refund, but that it would take 3 months and by splitting the planning into 3 sections they should have planning in place soon. This has been going on too long I agree, but for the moment I am (naively?) giving them the benefit of the doubt. Has anyone who has aked for a refund received one?

L

LydiaS

My name is Lydia Stockdale and I am a journalist on a UK magazine called Property Week.

I would like to speak to people who are at risk of losing the deposits they have put down on property developments due to delay and cancellation.

I am also keen to speak to those who have invested money in schemes which have fallen dramatically in value.

I'm writing a feature about people who have put a substantial proportion of thier savings into property.

You can tell me as little or as much as you like. The article is about the people behind the investments.

I am contactable at lydia dot stockdale at ubm dot com

Many thanks,

Lydia

J

JMBroad

My name is Lydia Stockdale and I am a journalist on a UK magazine called Property Week.

I would like to speak to people who are at risk of losing the deposits they have put down on property developments due to delay and cancellation.

I am also keen to speak to those who have invested money in schemes which have fallen dramatically in value.

I'm writing a feature about people who have put a substantial proportion of thier savings into property.

You can tell me as little or as much as you like. The article is about the people behind the investments.

I am contactable at lydia dot stockdale at ubm dot com

Many thanks,

Lydia

Welcome to the forums Lydia

Are you going to be talking to people who have made money on property as well or only showing the "dark side"?

D

Dotty

Banned
From what a gather she is also researching other countries where people have invested money in property and been taken for a ride along the way.These kind of articles do raise awareness in the ever volatile Real Estate market and demonstrates that it is not always a bed of roses and we must not get carried away by glossy folders,amazing locations,cheap land available and estate agent talk.

I am in the process of selling.I read through the compra venda contract.I took it to my lawyer.He says,wow it's says you are signing the whole property over after the Sinal!!Are you crazy of course it doesn't say that.Of course it did.I had misread it.Now imagine a tourist being faced with these crooked contracts. And the estate agent wants 22,000 reais commission!!His commission has definately gone by the wayside.
Welcome to the forums Lydia

Are you going to be talking to people who have made money on property as well or only showing the "dark side"?

J

JMBroad

From what a gather she is also researching other countries where people have invested money in property and been taken for a ride along the way.These kind of articles do raise awareness in the ever volatile Real Estate market and demonstrates that it is not always a bed of roses and we must not get carried away by glossy folders,amazing locations,cheap land available and estate agent talk.

I am in the process of selling.I read through the compra venda contract.I took it to my lawyer.He says,wow it's says you are signing the whole property over after the Sinal!!Are you crazy of course it doesn't say that.Of course it did.I had misread it.Now imagine a tourist being faced with these crooked contracts. And the estate agent wants 22,000 reais commission!!His commission has definately gone by the wayside.
It's very important to highlight what can go wrong however it just seems to me that generally "news" today is only news when it's bad news - wars, terrorism, economic problems, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc have vast coverage and hardly ever is good news given as much attention. I don't know Lydia personally or her writing and therefore I am not jumping to conclusions which is why I asked the question... Is there going to be any focus at all on smart investments by people who profited from their investments and how they achieved that.

Unfortunately in this day and age people just enjoy reading about misfortune - which means people in the business have to resort to reporting misfortune to catch their attention and sell their marketing space. Whether they are doing it to help others or simply because that is what sells is a debate we could have for a long time... It's a sign of the times and an indicator of the type of social animal which we have evolved into (or devolved into perhaps).

Personally whereas I'd like to see what people did wrong so that I can try and avoid the same mistakes, I'd be a lot more interested in what people did right and how they profited.

Your example is a good one Dotty - something went wrong but you caught it in time and were able to resolve it and will profit from it. How much more can we all learn from that rather than if your lawyer had been in on the conspiracy and you'd lost your property (although that may have made a more "exciting" story).

However as I said - not jumping to conclusions - hence my question - are success stories being included as well or just the disaster stories?

J

JMBroad

As well as the one which has been mentioned on the site numerous times: making property payments into a bank account outside of Brazil (aka money never gets sent to Brazil or the property registered in their name).

However, SaoP of all the ones listed I think only the one I listed is a "Brazilian Scam" - and it's being done by overseas agents mainly - not by Brazilians themselves. All the ones you listed can happen or have happened all around the world. Maybe the Registry Office ones happen less outside of Brazil.

Lydia, we look forward to reading your article.

Frank_London

Frank_London

My advise is to hire an independent local lawyer with expertise in property law and investments from abroad before make any money disbursement.

V

vgsriram

Some Place Else/Ben Mason

Is Some place else facing financial problem. Apparently lot of people have had bad experience.

J

JMBroad

Is Some place else facing financial problem. Apparently lot of people have had bad experience.
I've no idea but they don't seem to be promoting developments in Brazil so are you just posting on every forum or was there a reason you are posting on the Brazil part of the forums? Perhaps they used to promote a development in Brazil?

J

JMBroad

Not sure - I took a look at their website and while they have a "investing in Brazil" part of the site they don't have any developments in Brazil on offer?

Frank_London

Frank_London

They sold Brazil and Argentina for some clients and then discovered that the developments had no planning permission. They do not refund the reservation fee and advise clients to wait for the permission approval. It can take some years.

A

All at sea

Is anyone still left in Someplace Else's Brazil development and have they had any recent information from them? Ben Mason has not replied to any of my emails or phone calls...the besomeplaceelse website has vanished as well...

D

DominickStuart

Ben Mason

I also am experiencing problems with a developer who has stopped returning my calls. I purchased a land plot in the Belmonte Resort & Residences project in Bahia, Brazil in september 2006 with a company called Someplace Else, run by Ben Mason. They never got the required planning permission passed and I was promised a full refund plus 5% of of monies paid by February 12th, 2009. This deadline has passed and I am having great difficulty contacting Someplace Else or Ben Mason. I would be gratefull if anybody can ofer any information.
Hi, there, join the crew!! Ben Mason has done this to LOADS of people (our research has found 15 individuals so far, all been given the same story); Although there are people who, if they get hold of him, will literally tear him apart, we are currently binding together to go after him (either in civil or in criminal); my email address is dominick underscore stuart at yahoo dot com

A Joint action is also being proposed but to be honest, we just want him stopped!

M

markapple

help is available...

Well having been the prophet of doom for 2 years, my own destiny came to fruition so it seems! Some will delight in the news. I also made what one would think as a safe investment in Natal and now it has stopped and communication with the developers has dried up. I can only assume but the gut feel is not great and trying to communicate with anyone at arms length is not easy.

If anyone knows of or has an interest in...Residencial Atlantic View, Constructora Conera Ltd, Ponta Negra, then please contact me or declare an interest. In fairness to this Developer it is not yet terminal but getting info on the delay is somewhat difficult. If anyone knows how to run a Company search in Brazil or lodge an interest or an injunction, then advice welcome. As I said, not yet terminal but the signs don't look great. Just goes to show how this Credit Crunch has hit the safest of bets...allegedly!
OK, yes, I can explain what you need to do to try to resolve issues with builders as I have been through this. e-mail me at phasinc @ hotmail com and we can chat more. Problems with builders is epidemic in Brasil and especially in the NE. I know of a few of the builders that are repeat offenders so it seems to be their modus operandae. I know of about 70 property buyers stuck in the same situation and have little or no communication or knowledge of what to do...especially in a foreign country, different legal system, different language and ripe with corruption. But there are things you can do. e-mail me and I can explain more....It is complicated but your only other option is to abandon your investment (which is what they expect).

S

Shadow

Can anyone recommend a solicitor who has experience of dealing with a UK based agent selling land / property in Brazil but has failed to deliver on his promises?

Regards

Shadow

S

Shadow

Hi Rob,

I don't want to give too much information away, as you could be the agent posing as an investor. I've been caught out before when dealing with Bulgarian Dreams.
Once bitten twice shy.

Money was paid to the UK agent in sterling and I have the contracts for the investment scheme. Just looking for a solicitor who is familiar with some of the content of this thread.

Regards

shadow

S

Shadow

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

No, as far as I am aware the money never went to Brazil because planning consent was never obtained. The transfer was done to a UK account. Therefore it is a UK solicitor that I need.

Regards

Shadow

S

Shadow

Many thanks Rob, that is definitely a starting place.

Regards

Shadow

H

harold.edwards

Well having been the prophet of doom for 2 years, my own destiny came to fruition so it seems! Some will delight in the news. I also made what one would think as a safe investment in Natal and now it has stopped and communication with the developers has dried up. I can only assume but the gut feel is not great and trying to communicate with anyone at arms length is not easy.

If anyone knows of or has an interest in...Residencial Atlantic View, Constructora Conera Ltd, Ponta Negra, then please contact me or declare an interest. In fairness to this Developer it is not yet terminal but getting info on the delay is somewhat difficult. If anyone knows how to run a Company search in Brazil or lodge an interest or an injunction, then advice welcome. As I said, not yet terminal but the signs don't look great. Just goes to show how this Credit Crunch has hit the safest of bets...allegedly!
Hi

Let me know a little about this I am in Natal a lot and I do not think I know this company.
Where is their office

Regards

Harold Edwards