ad

How would you protect properties in a flood risk area?

D

diyhelp

I would be interested to hear from those who have properties in potential flood areas. How do you protect your property? Are you paying more for your insurance? Did you pay full market price for the property?

Last edited:
L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I don’t personally have property in flooded areas but from what I read they do not receive the level of assistance I would have expected. While I appreciate things change over the years, do local authorities not bear some level of blame for authorising planning permission?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Absolutely agree. To keep allowing development on Known flood plains is insanity.
Also the style of building needs to change to take into consideration the rising sea levels and increased risk of flooding.
New houses should be built raised a few metres from, ground level. There are several ways this can be achieved.
Its high time governments and developers got their heads together to find solutions.
Another problem that needs addressing is deforestation that has taken place in the past. Also the removal of the ancient hedgerows. These are just a couple of mistakes that were made in the past that have made the risk of flooding much worse while at the same time destroying wildlife habitats. The modern farming methods are inefficient and use far more land that is actually needed to feed the population while at the same creating problems that are very hard to overcome.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

There is also the fact that many rivers are not "dredged" any more which further increases the flood risks going forward. All in all a bit of a mess by the authorities.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Perhaps its time that the government made long term unemployed get out and earn their dole money by clearing streams and rivers etc :p

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
There is too much of this human rights rubbish spouted by the idiot lefties. Its high time people had to earn their money (unless physically disabled etc) . Ok a lot of long term unemployed are unemployable as far as business are concerned, but get them in work gangs doing the mucky menial tasks the government cant afford to pay anyone to do because they are paying so much out to these scroungers
Oh dear now I seem to have climbed onto my favourite soap box.:oops:

P

PostBrexitInvestor

Is there any room on your soap box for another :)

I find it difficult to understand where all of the money in this country goes. Time and time again we see property investors being hit with more taxes just because they are an "easy target". When will this continuous bashing of the "rich" end?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
If you take step back and look at this situation from a distance, the property market has been hammered by additional taxes over the last few years. Where does all this money go? It doesnt seem to go on flood defences that is for sure!