How to know the Property boundary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saul

I am hoping to buy a property in Central Portugal and have seen an old house which I am interested in. The property has no distinct boundaries but the estate agent (who is registered with imoppi) has leaflets on the property stating there is approximately 550 square meters of land attached to it.
I have asked the agent for a land plan but he said there is no plan available as in the past, the owners knew where the boundaries were by landmark features such as trees, boulders etc.! He said the land plan will be done on the sale taking place.
Does this mean I will be expected to sign the contract without knowing how much or where the land boundary is?
Thanks
Saul

R

reeta

Have you already read the Certid?o of the property which is obtained in the Conservat?ria do Registo Predial of the area?

The first page of the certid?o contains information about boundaries, sometimes a bit confusing and vague, but that?s the beginning point for an investigation. I would be very careful buying a property whose boundaries is not clearly established.

I once did such an investigation work. I used the names that showed in the Certid?o as the owners of the confining properties, then took their numbers in the phone directory and could reach every owner or a relative that helped to get the owner. Phone directory is such a powerful source of information!!

You may also ask the council to clarify this. They will send the tip?grafo.
Thanks
Kameron

A

abelhas

in theory you should confirm with the neighbours, and also get written confirmation that they have been offered the property for the price you have (it is possible for them to come back up to 15 years later and state they werent offered it, and that they want it!!)

often there will be a stone marker to show boundaries.

good luck

A

alvarojustino

What I would do: See if everything is ok in the ‘certidão’ and ‘caderneta’, get de plantas, knock on every neighbour door that (supposedly) make boundaries with the land, see if they agreed with the limits and have them to sign the boundaries in the planta.
Or even better, have the owner to order a 'levantamento topografico' (that will cost him money)

A

abelhas

get a solicitor to check the papers for you, and an architect to check you can build what you want (if you want to rebuild, extend etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mad_zzzb

I had a similar experience buying a house in portugal regarding the terrain boundaries.

What I did wast two things, first I went to what is called in Portugal "Junta de Freguesia" that is like a township official quarters, and went to the toponomy department to get a print of the area. At the same time I gave the full address so that they could give me the id code of the property. With that I wen´t to the "Conservatória do Registo Predial" (where they keep property ownership records) and to the local Finances Department to check the owner and configuration of the property.

Another thing that helped me out indicating where it was located was a print of Google Earth with the property borders highlighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.