How many properties do you own?

How many properties do you own / control

• Total voters
Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess this Poll should include "controlled" properties as well I.e. Rent to rent and lease option properties.

Please also give more details of your portfolio in the comments as we're all interested to see what and where everyone is investing in!

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Voted :)
5 at the moment, all in Barcelona.
What kind of model are you using the rent out over in Spain? Just family lets? Or maybe holiday lets or HMOs? Do they even have the concept or demand for HMOs in Spain?

(HMO stands for Houses in Multiple Occupation or another work for it is Multi let properties and it's where you rent out the bedrooms on separate tenancies)

L

Le Seb

@Nicholas Wallwork i only deal with family lets, less trouble than the others.
In Barcelona you also need a licence for short lets and these days it's impossible to get one.
You can rent bedrooms separately if you want to, it's just more work.
That said, I am getting gross yields on family lets of over 6% (I only buy very good deals of course). Once you factor in the leverage with a 80% mortgage at 1.5% interest, your yield goes nuts.

J

Judith Beilby

Premium Member
Hi, I own 3 flats in London at the moment. 2 are let to families and the other is let on a room by room basis.
I get 6% yield on the family lets and 7% on the room let flats.

L

Luke Masters

Premium Member
Just two at the minute which are both commercial units on long term lets to companies, 5 - 15 year lets with 5% increase maximum every 36 months. I find this a very stress free investment at the occupier treats it as there own, in the longer term I will probably look to convert these units into flats as the local capital appreciation has been fantastic. Both investments are situated in the the Reading area in Berkshire and with HS2 being built I may look to capitalise in 2020 or beyond.

R

Ricky Bhurji

Premium Member
Hi Raizamea - Where have you invested out of curiosity ?

P

PropEx

Does this poll include property options? If so, I "own" 40 this week.

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Does this poll include property options? If so, I "own" 40 this week.
I'd say so! Full control (especially an option) means the same thing in my view and is just another form of financing really...

Sounds exciting what are they and where @PropEx ?

P

PropEx

I'd say so! Full control (especially an option) means the same thing in my view and is just another form of financing really...

Sounds exciting what are they and where @PropEx ?
As I'm sure you can guess, they aren't in the UK and in the USA, by my posts. The UK doesn't really have a property options market like the USA does. To be perfectly honest, I'm not too sure what things I can say on here, but just tell me if I'm out of line. In the US, which is far, far more diverse than the UK, you can buy an option for maybe $1k on a $70k house, but I get them in the wholesale market, so the price would be for example $50k and then at the end of your option(usually 3 months, maybe more),you can either sell your option or take your profit if the property is sold. We look for motivated sellers, as I'm sure you do too. In fact, this will take me far too long to explain, lets speak tomorrow?

P

PropEx

Now that I have 30 posts, can I message you Nicholas? It will need to be tomorrow though, as it way past my bedtime!(My son still doesn't sleep well)

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Now that I have 30 posts, can I message you Nicholas? It will need to be tomorrow though, as it way past my bedtime!(My son still doesn't sleep well)
Yes of course no problem!

N

nmb

At what number does a portfolio of properties become unmanageable for one person?

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes it also depends on your business goals... If you want to build a larger portfolio you are better off outsourcing the management (ideally in house full time manager) early and investing in that so you can concentrate on growing the business (sourcing deals and raising finance).

N

nmb

I think the biggest problem many property investors will have is finding someone they trust at a price they can afford when they are ready to outsource management of their assets. Thankfully, the Internet has made all areas of business more transparent than ever before and it is now possible to do some serious research on management companies to see how they operate and read feedback from their customers.

For those who have outsourced management of their property assets, how did you find the company/person you eventually went with?

T

tringhia1991

I guess this Poll should include "controlled" properties as well I.e. Rent to rent and lease option properties.

Please also give more details of your portfolio in the comments as we're all interested to see what and where everyone is investing in!
I have 1 property at the moment.

A

aurelie

3xBerlin, 1xSouthern France - soon London and Paris, la ville d'amour amour amour... :D
Prices are dropping in Paris and they better will better soon in London :p