How long must a dispute be declared when selling

S

Sony Tony

Our neighbour sent a legal letter regarding a fence separating our properties around 6 years ago, but nothing has happened since. Now I'm coming to sell, am I obliged to mention it on the property information form? Presumably even if I can stay quiet, if the buyer's solicitor specifically asks I'd have to mention it? It's so frustrating because it was a dubious claim borne of malice and it still seems to hang over us. Thanks

D

diyhelp

This all seems a little unfair to me. On one hand you have been subjected to what you describe as a malicious claim while on the other you are legally/morally obligued to disclose this when looking to sell your property.

As part of the deal I think you are invited to disclose any other points of interest to a buyer - so if you didnt disclose then I assume you could in theory be sued? Does anyone know if this is the legal situation?

P

PostBrexitInvestor

I think it is best to be up front and honest - otherwise this does have the potential to come back and bite you on the backside. Unfair? yes, but legally you are obligued to be open and honest.