How important is it to keep an eye on international property markets?

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
How important do you think it is to keep an eye on international property markets if you only invest in your own country? Is it naive to think you don't need to stay on top of international property news too?

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's very important to understand international markets and how they effect the property market... don't forget the sub prime issues in the US are what caused the credit crunch in 2008 so it can have massive effects... also inward investment from emerging countries (like China currently as I write in 2017) has a driving force for UK house prices (especially London) as does immigration (supply vs demand) and currency changes... so well worth keeping an eye on international markets...

R

realdeals

While I agree with all of the above comments perhaps the most important thing for me is to learn what makes markets move in other countries. You can never have enough knowledge about property markets! As they say, what happens in the US will eventually find its way to the UK - that includes property market trends.

M

Marinaki

I think is business wise to keep an eye on the surrounding countries and catch opportunities, if the case. Take the example of Greece, after 10 years of economic crisis, many European got themselves very expensive properties for pennies. Greeks sold for nothing and many emigrated. In this moment is a boom on the market due to Golden Visa programme and many Chinese and Arabs are buying a lot, so the prices are up again :)

L

lookinginvest

I read somewhere that the EU is trying to phase out or at least reduce the number of golden visas. Might we see a rush from foreign investors before the decision is made?

M

Marinaki

I read somewhere that the EU is trying to phase out or at least reduce the number of golden visas. Might we see a rush from foreign investors before the decision is made?
I don't know anything about this. But I am watching Greek market for some time now and even if they reduce the golden visas...what they will do with AIRBNB. In the center of Athens people are not selling or renting anymore, they all transformed the homes in airbnb locations creating a huge gap on the market.