ad

How do you expect house prices in the north-east of England to perform?

L

lookinginvest

At this moment in time it would appear that the north-east of England is one of the more prominent coronavirus hotspots. This is an economy which has only just lately begun to show signs of recovery. However, like everywhere in the UK, the coronavirus pandemic will have a significant impact on economic growth and unemployment. As a consequence, I how do you expect house prices in the north-east of England to perform in the short to medium-term?

Will there be opportunities to pick up properties for the long term?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
If you asked me this question at the beginning of 2020 I would have said property prices in the north-east of England were almost certain to go up. The problem we have now is an economic crisis brought on by the coronavirus. Again, this has highlighted shortfalls in the local north-east economy and jobs market. It is a given that London and the south of England will recover much quicker and probably attract the lion's share of property investment.

F

FWL

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to decimate the economy of the north-east of England, there is a danger that property investors will revert to type. Will they prefer the "reliability" of London and property in the south of England over the probably volatile north-east market in the short to medium-term?

This would be a shame if it was to happen as there is some good value in the Midlands and the North of England.

R

realdeals

It is starting to look as though the economy of the North of England is somewhat more fragile than that in the Midlands and the South. This will obviously have an impact on property prices with reduced demand. Whether we see investors looking back towards London as a whole is a different subject.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Personally, I believe there will be significant short-term volatility in the UK property market. This will impact property prices region by region. I think it will be at least 12 months if not two years before we see confirmation that investors are returning to London centric property - if this does turn out to be the new trend. Then again, maybe some investors have had a taste of the value and rental yields in the North of England and they will come back?