How can I sell my property in Turkey?

Sunny Days

Sunny Days

This is a question that we get asked, at my office, all of the time by both potential buyers (who are interested in their exit strategies) and also by vendors who are either motivated to sell or are just interested in testing the waters.
In essence if you have all of the key documents of ownership (deeds and habitation licence) then all you need is a decent agent to promote the property...isn't it??
Sure, all of the above help but you also need to have a strategy to sell, knowing who are the buyers in your local area and how you / your agent are going to target them. There is no point in going to a "nice English guy you know" if he isn't capturing the buyers and similarly, there is no point going to some of the aggressive big name agents who will try to bully you / tie you into an exclusive agreement just because they claim to have hundreds of buyers looking for your type of property (and they'll tell you how much to sell it for).

There are some common cultural differences between selling property in Turkey and abroad and 2 of the the most common mistakes are that 1) in Turkey, multiple agency is common and there is no extra charge for the service and 2) in Turkey, the vendor sets the price and not the estate agent. Of course, the agents may have a good idea about what your competition is selling at so you may want to take their advice before pricing your property.

If you would like more information about selling your property in Turkey, we have a general information page on our website at:
Vendors Guide to selling property in Didim
This explains the three target groups of buyers on the Didim peninsula - very similar to most touristic areas of Turkey. For selling strategies in the big cities, then you will need more specific advice.

If you are in a position where you want to sell and you do not have the key documents of ownership (deeds and habitation licence) then you will need to contact a Turkish solicitor in your area for specific advice, assuming that your agent hasn't been able to assist you. If you are in this position with your property, in the Didim area, by all means drop our office an email and if we can assist you or point you in the right direction then we will try to be of assistance.