ad

Home Office Organization

George79

George79

For anyone working from the home, you know first hand how hard it can be to stay organized. Dealing with customers first hand who want to make major investments also comes into play so it is always wise to keep your office as well as your home a desirable location. How do you keep your home office organized and a positive reflection of your business?

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
I think it helps to keep an office as a separate and dedicated work space. I have a garden office which is quite large, and a lovely place to work in the summer. It's quite nice to have an outside space because it's away from the house and does feel (psychologically) that you're "going to work"! (Even if it's a 30 second commute :D )

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you don't necessarily want to market to customers the fact you have home office as they might think you're rather small and thus a risk. The trick until your business is large enough is to show true professionalism even if you're small, have good marketing, call answering services (we still have these if in office staff are busy even though we have over 20 people in our team!) and all round good communications.

In this day and age you don't have to have a massive corporate office... in fact if you do this is sometimes see AS the risk... smaller overhead businesses are more likely to survive and make their investors a good return so sell what you have.

Working from a home office is a great way to manage your work/live balance. I see my kids off to school/nursery almost every single day and I also pick them up most days. I run 3 main property businesses, have a controlled property portfolio of over £20m (to date Dec 2015) and over 20 staff and have a better quality of life than anyone I know! Home working for at least a proportion of the time does work and I personally hit the office only a couple of times a week. I get less work done in "the office" than I do at my home office "POD" at home.