Has the worldwide economic downturn opened your eyes to currency risks?

Did you appreciate currency risks before the ongoing economic downturn kicked in?

• Yes

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Over the last few months we have seen some fairly extreme movements in the currency markets with currencies such as the UK pound coming under extreme selling pressure. This has reduced the international buying power of UK based property investors but made the UK property market look more attractive to overseas investors.

However, did you really appreciate currency risks before the ongoing economic downturn kicked in?

D

Damian George

However, did you really appreciate currency risks

Over the last few months we have seen some fairly extreme movements in the currency markets with currencies such as the UK pound coming under extreme selling pressure. This has reduced the international buying power of UK based property investors but made the UK property market look more attractive to overseas investors.

However, did you really appreciate currency risks before the ongoing economic downturn kicked in?
it is a shame that so many people have realised that a currency broker could have helped them rather than think we were just sales men out for ourselves!

had most people used the hedging facilities they would have locked in rates in the region of 2.000 against the us dollar and 1.4000 against the euro.

Personally though i think not many people wil learn that much as greed always clouds most peoples judgement

my 2 cents

B

BartS

Before you wouldn't be looking at CCY as a big risk as they were quite stabile, now I would be pretty carefull with investing in CCY in which I dont; earn:)

J

Journals009

Worldwide Economic Downturn

World Economic Downturn is almost over , there are lot of things improving

* Economic Turnover in Western Countries

* Global Market Recovery

* New Job Opportunities

Last edited:
P

Peterbiv

I definitely appreciate the currency risks, but I agree with the previous poster that there is an enormous change in the value of money and property.

M

Mikeyv

do you think if we were in the Euro we would come out better from these currency fluctations ????

A

andyphillip

I think it is hard to know when the property market will improve, I think we will see a gradual improvement over a long period of time rather than something you will notice over night I think we are currently hearing positive things about property sellings and prices rising which is good news but I would imagine we will get to a certain point where we will level out for a little bit and then it will need to be reassessed again

Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker

Fluctuation of currencies should always be considered as one of the main factor. It has a great effect to the true value of every property. A listing may say that a particular property is priced GBP something, but if it's location makes it unavoidable to deal with local currency in that area, the local currencies value and fluctuations play a great role.

M

mrtmaster

the currencies amount changing day by day is getting trickier

PureFX

PureFX

That's an odd question! I don't think anyone anticipated either the scale of the economic downturn nor the impact it's add. Given this it's inevitable that people are more aware of currency fluctuations.

A

Arcachon

The Grasshopper and the Ants
In a field one summer's day a grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. A group of ants walked by, grunting as they struggled to carry plump kernels of corn.
"Where are you going with those heavy things?" asked the grasshopper.
Without stopping, the first ant replied, "To our ant hill. This is the third kernel I've delivered today."
"Why not come and sing with me," teased the grasshopper, "instead of working so hard?"

The Ants and the Grasshopper

Guess who is the ant and who is the Grasshopper.

Who do you think have Currency risk, the ant or the Grasshopper.

Last edited:
F

FloridaForeignInvestors

While the dollar and Euro are falling, why do people keep tending to think that now it a horrible time for investing in real estate? On thing that should be of note, every form of wealth goes through cycles. Gold,silver, stocks and yes real estate have a rise and fall, but at the end of the day its cyclic. What we need to start looking at is generational trends.

I know that in the US, the timing is getting strong for first time home buyers and family planning. With the median age of 27+ increasing, people are looking for first time homes. Bread and butter homes are quickly coming in demand. With the current credit situation in the US, are we not primed for those with the ability to acquire and rent? My thoughts are absolutely.

J

Janette Guenien

When the Dollar and Euro are turning down, there are lot of other currency are turning up in value and gives hope to other nations.

C

Cosmo

Hi,
I think we will see a gradual improvement over a long period of time rather than something you will notice over night I think we are currently hearing positive things about property sellings and prices rising which is good news but I would imagine we will get to a certain point where we will level out for a little bit and then it will need to be reassed again..

Y

Yaaaa

There is this "Happy Hour" currency exchange rate thing on facebook. They say that they offer mid-market rate for one hour, next week I think. Type in RationalFX on facebook. Is this for real? Can normal person get such a rate?

D

Damian George

Cheap marketing ploy. We often quote against similar "deals" and strangely the client finds they disappear or the Market has moved strangely against them.

The first one is free once your hooked you pay

Status
Not open for further replies.