ad

Has anyone converted a student accommodation to Resi?

M

Michelle Barringer

Forum Partner
Many of the new build student buildings have full res planning to help to future proof these investments? but has anyone ever converted a student accommodation to resi - if so did you have to follow any procedure? or as it already has planning can you just rent it to a non student as a studio or apartment (for cluster purchase)

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't as I concentrate on the professional market and not come across any student properties for sale. Maybe just chance I haven't!

Unless there is a specific covenant on the building it should be pretty straightforward though. Check these first as in many dedicated student buildings they won't allow a conversion.

Having said that we're seeing more and more purpose built blocks of flats that have planning to allow such flexibility so these are a safe bet if you can find them.

K

KSH

Many of the new build student buildings have full res planning to help to future proof these investments? but has anyone ever converted a student accommodation to resi - if so did you have to follow any procedure? or as it already has planning can you just rent it to a non student as a studio or apartment (for cluster purchase)
Hi Michelle

This may not be relevant anymore given that you posted some time ago and you may have already found a solution, but I would check the lease (if you are buying lease hold) to see if there is anything you also need to follow before letting on a resi basis and with regards to planning, I would imagine if it has consent for resi you should be fine but just to be safe doesnt hurt to check with the council. Hope that helps... though do let me know if youre already sorted as its an interesting question that could catch people out!