Happy St Georges day

queenie40something

queenie40something

...to all.

Does anyone celebrate it??

Im going for a good old sing along around the piano at my local today at 4.

R

rayk150

poland

i'm in Poland today and it is celebrated by some locals i was told, invite to a party tonight, hope it will be good night

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Ray - we had a good old knees up round the piano - jellied eels, prawns and cockles. Roll out the barrell, run rabbit, Bless em all etc etc

L

Lsab

Glad you had such a good time Alison. Just watching Sky news reporting that there were many celebrations across England yesterday. It's about time too. I'm half Welsh, half English and for far too long the English have not been encouraged to be patriotic in the same way as the Scots, Irish and Welsh. Maybe St. Georges day will be made a public holiday as are the other patron saints days.

M

M Butler

Glad you had such a good time Alison. Just watching Sky news reporting that there were many celebrations across England yesterday. It's about time too. I'm half Welsh, half English and for far too long the English have not been encouraged to be patriotic in the same way as the Scots, Irish and Welsh. Maybe St. Georges day will be made a public holiday as are the other patron saints days.
Hi,
I don't ever remember having St Andrews day as a holiday in Scotland but I did celebrate St George's day last night (it was my birthday also)!!! so I have always celebrated it and me a Scot too!!

Margaret

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Margaret many happy returns for yesterday - it s a shame because I dont think many people celebrate St Georges do - in comparison to say St Patricks day. Hope you had a great day and lovely evening.

L

Lsab

I went with Sky news on the public holidays so just assumed Scotland had a day for St Andrew. Or is it now and wasn't when you were a girl i.e. 10 years ago:D
Happy Birthday for yesterday - I like to forget mine these days :)

M

M Butler

I went with Sky news on the public holidays so just assumed Scotland had a day for St Andrew. Or is it now and wasn't when you were a girl i.e. 10 years ago:D
Happy Birthday for yesterday - I like to forget mine these days :)
Thanks, I am trying to look on the positive side these days by saying that I have reached this age and everything is working - almost!!! so can't be bad.

Nope!! Don't think St Andrews day is a holiday now either. I think it's more expats that celebrate St Andrews day. Burns day is bigger in Scotland - no holiday for that either.

Margaret