Golfing in North East Brasil

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Golfingworld

Dee, well you do now..because I have played golf in Sharm El Sheikh! Firstly the course was fantasitic built by Trent Jones, secondly the cost was USD25 per round with buggy, thirdly it is a dry heat not humid, fourthly from the EC the flight time is less than Canaries from UK. Greens were USGA and irrigation very good, fairways were lush. I went for a week and enjoyed it but not SES much...nothing to do..but hotels are very good.."all inclusive" and all the entertainment is in the hotels anyway due to drinks licences..so off plan is a no no there....no logic to going to a flat. Your friend that play golf are a very very small minority..any male tourism to Natal will go to PN and not 80km north, nor will they get up at 5am to travel 80km to play a round of golf! It is an absolute no no golf in NE Brazil....trust me...good news is you can sit on your balcony and not get splattered with Titleist 1's as there won't be any golfer on the course! Long and the short of it is that whoever tried to sell these golf developments is in a dream world and those who buy thinking golfers will rent are in a bigger dream world!

M

michaelbush

JM - have sent PM - would like to meet during your visit - let me know if you are coming to Natal.

D

Dotty

Banned
right on

Thats whats so funny.It is so humid,the golfers will be dropping one by one.This is not Spain.
There are so many new golf courses planned for the North East of Brasil, I think all of them by European and Scandinavian developers. I imagine that none of the management have spent more than 2 weeks at a time here!
If anyone has played in Florida, that is nothing compared to here. Tropical - even equatorial conditions with high humidity, high temperatures and moreover short daylight hours, all make me wonder if golfers will really flock to play!

D

Dotty

Banned
well said

you are absolutely right!
:DNever mind all the hype, conditions for golf are not like Spain and Portugal; in the Natal area the sun rises at 5 ish, and sets at 5 ish and then it is dark- suddenly! From 6 am the sun is hot, by 8am it is really hot. A round of 18 holes would be what - 3 hours or more? How golfers must like to suffer!!!
Then there is the maintenance cost. How many will go bust? did any of them research the market for golf here among Brasilians? I have not met one who plays or has the inclination to play, due to the heat.
In the south of Brasil they have a different climate and even daylight saving!
So if you want golf why buy in the North East?

That should get things going!!
:D

D

Dotty

Banned
maintaining a golf course

As yopu can see Natal is dry and arid,you would need an awful lot to try and keep the grass green and as we know you can only water very early morning or early evening .Might sound exotic,but god no experience.
Hi KDJX
Like the humour, but I was being serious. Whilst I have my point of view, I was hoping that others might like to comment on that. Really, is there anyone who believes that golf courses have a place in this Tropical paradise? I did have a thought that perhaps some floodlit driving ranges with covered practice putting greens could work, as I feel sure that the 19th hole will be calling before they past the 4th!! Not being a golfer myself, I a really not entitled to a point of view but I would hate to see all these courses that are planned get to be built and not get used enough to cover costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.