getting money out of morocco

A

alfonsooo

Hi all,

I have been waiting 3 months to get my moroccan bank to transfer money sitting in my moroccan bank account over to my UK account with no success.

Does anyone know if i travel to morocco and withdraw the money directly from my branch (totalling about £13k) can i then go to a bureau de change and change it into euros/sterling and take it out the country? is there a limit? Even maybe change it into travellers cheques?

Cheers

L

lurcher21

Hi all,

I have been waiting 3 months to get my moroccan bank to transfer money sitting in my moroccan bank account over to my UK account with no success.

Does anyone know if i travel to morocco and withdraw the money directly from my branch (totalling about £13k) can i then go to a bureau de change and change it into euros/sterling and take it out the country? is there a limit? Even maybe change it into travellers cheques?

Cheers
Hi, Do you have a Moroccan account ''in dirhams convertibles''? Your bank cannot do a transfer out of Morocco without permission from the Office des Changes. You need to prove that the money came from the UK originally, via a traceable bank to bank transfer uk/Morocco. You also have to provide documentation proving that you do not owe any taxes in Morocco. This is called a 'quittus fiscal'. You then have to put your dossier in to the Office des Changes and wait, maybe 3 months maybe longer. The Office des Changes then provides you with the official document your bank has to have in order to transfer the money out. Your only other alternative is to withdraw your funds, and change it on the black market, risking all sorts of things, not least that the euros you are given in exchange could easily be counterfeit! Sorry I can't be more positive but believe me, I have been there done that.

S

sam62

i dont thing will be any problem on getting cash out OF morocco if the currency in foreign not in dirham . as far as i know you have limit up to 1000 dirham to travel out of the country with. but as long as the money in other currency you allow to travel with no limit. BUT AM NOT SURE. ANY WAY 13K IS NOT THAT MUCH TO TRAVEL WITH .

L

lurcher21

Currency restrictions:
Morocco Currency and money Guide.

The import and export of local currency is prohibited; all local currency must be reconverted prior to departure. The import and export of foreign currency is limited to amounts equivalent to £10,000 and must be declared on arrival and departure.

Read more: Morocco Currency and Money Guide

L

lurcher21

Currency restrictions:

The import and export of local currency is prohibited; all local currency must be reconverted prior to departure. The import and export of foreign currency is limited to amounts equivalent to £10,000 and must be declared on arrival and departure.

Read more: Morocco Currency and Money Guide

A

alfonsooo

thanks for all your help. One other question - what is the maximum allowable to exchange at a buro de change in one go? i.e. can i withdraw all my dirhams (173,000) walk to the buro de change and change the lot into euros/£?

R

roodboy

no - they are unlikely to allow you to change that much in one go.

A

alfonsooo

Cheers, do you (or anyone) know the maximum allowed exchanged in one transaction?

M

M2Morocco

The maximum will vary from place to place but for large amounts they will probably ask you for proof of where you got the dhirams from.

Moving money out of Morocco can be a problem for people who do not have proof of bringing the cash in, as long as you have a paper trail showing when the money came in and what it was used for then there usually isnt any problem.