Gay scene in Morocco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff2007

I’m gay and interested in buying a property in Morocco. May sound like a silly question, but is there is a gay scene in the country?

F

fuzzbear

Hello Jeff, like most Middle Eastern countries, Moroccan law prohibits relationships between people of the same gender. Officially, society views gay people with the same contempt as prostitutes. Yet, like prostitution, being gay is very much a part of that same society.

M

moroccobound

Jeff, in Morocco, you have Official, and then everything else. There are many gays in such cities as Marrakech, Casablanca and Rabat. Casablanca has its very own 'open' gay bar/disco. There is certainly no problem being a foreign gay man here. There are many foreign gays who own property in Marrakech. Being gay is no barrier to enjoying life here, but as it is a Muslim country, there is not much of a night life, other than restaurants and private parties.

J

jeff2007

Thank you people.

I have one final question - if i do buy something, i would like to move there for a few years and rent part of my property out. If I go ahead, do you think it would be difficult to find someone else to rent or share a flat with? I guess they too would have to be gay to ensure that I didn’t offend anyone. Thanks again for your advice.

M

moroccobound

Jeff2007

Finding a suitable flatmate is not easy, no matter where are. I would look for one in the UK, as the likelihood of finding a true flat share in Morocco is slim to none.

Finding a local to share your flat is dead easy, but not if you do not want to pay for everything yourself.
The cost of living is far less in Morocco than in the UK that you may not even have to have a flat share.

Status
Not open for further replies.