Furniture Packs - Furniture Direct Worldwide?

G

Gregs100

Hi,

1st time purchaser who's due to complete in Bucharest in the next couple of months and am after any feed-back on the above company or if anyone has had any dealings with them?

We need to funish our appartment for letting purposes and have been contacted by the above company offering to do this on our behalf. We've checked their web-site which looks fine, but I can't find anything else on the web about them...which in this day and age is slightly unusual. We've also got concerns that they won't take payment by card, want payment to a spanish bank a/c and contact is made via e-mail unless they call us etc.

Compared to the package being offered to us by our agent...who shall we say is one of the biggest names in the business and on our TV's....the package from Furniture Direct works out about EUR4000 cheaper.....but we are just worried about how genuine they are etc?

Has anyone had any dealings with them in the past or with my agent *** who are are charging through the nose.

Any advice regarding this or furniture packs would be appreciated.

Cheers

J

Joan

Hi Greggs,

Dont know about Furniture direct worldwide, But we have been badly stung by a company called springblue furniture. They conned us out of 6,000 euro.

They wont answer their phone or reply to emails.

Luckily my daughter paid by credit card, but it will take her months to get the money back.

Dont pay anything iinto a spanish bank, unless you want to kiss your money goodbye.

Regards
Joan

H

hovis

furniture packs

Hi,

1st time purchaser who's due to complete in Bucharest in the next couple of months and am after any feed-back on the above company or if anyone has had any dealings with them?

We need to funish our appartment for letting purposes and have been contacted by the above company offering to do this on our behalf. We've checked their web-site which looks fine, but I can't find anything else on the web about them...which in this day and age is slightly unusual. We've also got concerns that they won't take payment by card, want payment to a spanish bank a/c and contact is made via e-mail unless they call us etc.

Compared to the package being offered to us by our agent...who shall we say is one of the biggest names in the business and on our TV's....the package from Furniture Direct works out about EUR4000 cheaper.....but we are just worried about how genuine they are etc?

Has anyone had any dealings with them in the past or with my agent *** who are are charging through the nose.

Any advice regarding this or furniture packs would be appreciated.

Cheers
Hi Greggs

this is my first time replying on this site - so keeping my fingers crossed that this has got through. It sounds like we are buying through the same agent and I agree that their initial costings were just too high. I too was contacted by Furniture Direct and compared their prices to me doing it myself. By the time I lost my income from my own business, did the flights and accommodation etc, then it was worth my while going with their fees and so I have agreed to use them - but I have to admit to being a little nervous.

I did pay by credit card and they seem set up for installation mid may for me. As you say, contact with them is not ideal. I do email but get no response and will need to call next week. When I have called before they have answered my queries and sent through extra information that I have asked for. Equally, they advised they would pass my details onto a rental firm in Romania who they work with and sure to word - they have contacted me

I hope you are now sorted but I am chasing this company and will probably feel nervous until the day the furniture is installed and thereafter, until a tenant is found. I am a first time purchaser overseas and the whole experience has been daunting.

Hope this helps
Hovis - the dog

D

David howe

Hi Gregg

I am in exactly the same position as yourself - due to complete early next year in Bucharest through a major overseas property company. Furniture Direct Worldwide contacted me a few weeks ago to offer me their package (with 60% to pay upfront). I was nervous of touching them, and was also mystified how they knew the details of my property and its purchase price, so I contacted the property company that I am investing with. They came back after a few days to say that Furniture Direct Worldwide (FDW) is currently being investigated by the Spanish Police!! My property company then quickly produced details of their own "quality" furniture package - substantially more expensive than FDW. I have still held back from doing anything with anybody - not least because of the current strong Euro/weak Pound.
Just today FDW have contacted me once again - a new person, as if approaching me for the first time. So I went onto the Net to see if I could find out anything about them (beyond the site & details posted by themselves) - That's how I found your message. I'm not much help to you - except to say that I would advise you to be cautious. Will they produce the goods? And if they do, how can we get any idea in advance of quality? And if they have furnished so may properties so well and economically, why is there virtually no mention of them on the world-wide web.
For myself, I am not rushing in anywhere, but I am at present more inclined towards the more expensive furniture package of my proven major overseas property developer
Take care!
Al
Very interesting topic and a warning that will surely benefit some. One thing I would like to clarify is that you are comments are directed at "Furniture Direct Worldwide (FDW) " Also and this is not in defence of them, but being investigated does not mean they are guilty. I think to prohibit any libel issues this should be included so people can then make an informed decision, although I do think there could be problems with the validity of the thread due the source of your information.

A

alarprba

Very interesting topic and a warning that will surely benefit some. One thing I would like to clarify is that you are comments are directed at "Furniture Direct Worldwide (FDW) " Also and this is not in defence of them, but being investigated does not mean they are guilty. I think to prohibit any libel issues this should be included so people can then make an informed decision, although I do think there could be problems with the validity of the thread due the source of your information.
I have simply reported a written statement made to me by one of the largest & best-known overseas property investment companies regarding "Furniture Direct Worldwide". I have not at any point suggested that they (FDW) have done anything wrong - though in these circumstances anyone who did not exercise caution could be asking for trouble. I assume that the large property company which I mention will be prepared, if necessary, to stand over the written statement they have made to me

D

David howe

I have simply reported a written statement made to me by one of the largest & best-known overseas property investment companies regarding "Furniture Direct Worldwide". I have not at any point suggested that they (FDW) have done anything wrong - though in these circumstances anyone who did not exercise caution could be asking for trouble. I assume that the large property company which I mention will be prepared, if necessary, to stand over the written statement they have made to me
Delighted to hear it is not just a verbal representation. Well done :)

M

mickthepropertyguru

FDW have a statement on their website that will be of direct interest to you and pretty much casts a shadow on what you were led to believe by the so called self proclaimed experts.
It s a pity that people feel they have to go with the expensive option because this is purely due to a lack of experience and information.
Some would say that investors like you have paid a premium so far without knowing it !
There are always other options, read back through the discussions about furniture packs on other threads and get a few ideas. It will probably save you some money and will pay a few months or more of a mortgage if you have one.

H

hovis

Hi

I too am in the process of buying a one bedded apartment in Greenfields. I went out to see it last week-end as we were beginning to hear that the site was no where near ready for completion on 1st May, and also the rentals expected were not coming anywhere near to what had been predicted two years ago. We went out to see the site for ourselves and also talk with some agents out there.

Prior to going, I had booked a furniture package with FDW - there price came in as what seemed more realistic. However, I did cancel the package for other reasons just before I went out and I am glad that I did so. In our opinion the site is no where near ready for completion on 1st May - and we accept as someone pointed out to us, that our version of 'complete' is very different from the romanian version. But what we saw last week-end, and I had the opportunity to physically go into the apartment I am buying, is a site where works are still going on, the roads around are still building rubble (right up to our front door) and inside is just not ready. I have been told by our agent who promoted this site, that we'd be surprisesd at how quickly all of this can be put right, but we are not of the opinion it will be in a state ready or suitable for anyone to either live in as their own home, or even to offer to a tenant for potential rental.

We met with the lawyers and expressed our concern and sought answers to a list of things. We also intructed that no further documents are signed on our behalf pending answers to those points. I am glad that I cancelled the furniture package for the moment as in our view, it would simply be sitting on a building site collecting dust.

In terms of furniture packages, I am more comfortable leaving this to someone else to complete for me. The Ikea in Banesea is more epensive than you would think and then you have the delivery charge and fitting etc. I was happy with what I could see FDW would give and there are other threads on this site which seem to recommend them from previous use. I also went to see some furniture packages in situ with Investment Romania and have to say they looked really good too so I think you have some good choices.

Regarding rental income, we are prepared for the mortgage not being covered or even coming close to it really. The income that is likely to come in will not break even at all at the moment. Given that the mortgage will revert to the variable rate at the end of the promotional year one, then this will exacerbate the situation for us even more. We are now recalculating the entire purchase and running costs to make sure we are aware of everything that we need to know.

I hope this helps you but I'd be glad to hear from you again and how you are finding the process.

Thanks

T

THUNDERCAT

Oh dear this does not inspire me with confidence. The FDW chap that rang me was suggesting a completion much later in the year.
I will be in Bucharest in a couple of weeks, from what you say is there anything specific I should be bringing to the attention of the lawyers and would I be right in assuming I could not stop the deal and retrieve my deposit.
Working on this assumption if I try to sell the apartment should I sell as furnished or unfurnished and let the buyer furnish to their own taste?
If it came to it, how would I go about selling the apartment?

H

hovis

Hi

My comments are given in the spirit of someone who is purchasing themselves and not as an expert so please receive them in this manner - there are a couple of good agents in Romania who are happy to talk to people re potential letting, selling and furniture packages so your queries around those points are better directed to these.

Regarding the legal issues - there is a thread on this web site that David Howe has posted recently which I think brings some of the legal issues to the surface. It was posted on 9th April and is called 'Greenfields Bucharest' and is clear and helpful.

My understanding of the contract is that the deposit is non-refundable so if anyone does decide to withdraw and not to complete, then they would loose their 30%. But again, you may need to check this for yourself.

Thanks

W

willowtree1

Does anyone know exactly where this company FDL is registered and where its warehousing facilities and showroom is as i am very interested in purchasing some furniture !

H

hovis

Does anyone know exactly where this company FDL is registered and where its warehousing facilities and showroom is as i am very interested in purchasing some furniture !
Hi. From what I can gather they are based in Spain. I'm not aware of any warehousing facilities though. Their packages are really competitive and from other threads on this site, there seem to be people who have used them more than once. Perhaps they are able to offer more detail for you. Hope this helps

D

David howe

6000 euro for a 3 bedroom house will be very sparse, are you taking into consideration that this is 3 bedroom with delivery arrangement nd other snagging? Whilst it may be possibe I think it is very tight.

Furniture packs should not cost more than 6,000 EUR for medium quality furniture.
Question is: do you need to buy it anyway? If a place has no rental potential why the **** put money in furniture? Or maybe it tickles your pride you buy furniture packs from such "big names"?

T

Transylvania Investment

6000 euro for a 3 bedroom house will be very sparse, are you taking into consideration that this is 3 bedroom with delivery arrangement nd other snagging? Whilst it may be possibe I think it is very tight.
I agree it is tight, however we've managed to do it already in Brasov and Sibiu for 3 bedroom.
We've teamed up with a direct importer of Polish furniture, Ikea prices, but much higher quality.

T

Transylvania Investment

Am I right or what?

Hi there Ray,
I've looked for the website you recommend us, but I couldn't find it. Please give us a correct address.
I don't really follow something here (as your message looks to me like it's an advertising one, rather than an innocent advice) how much experience has this company/any of the managing persons running it on the market and from the point of view of rigurous due dilligence could anyone trust a company that came very recently on the market yet claims to hold a solid knowledge of that particular market?

DeMar Furnishing Srl- I don’t know if any one has used this company, but I found them very good for the furnishing of my properties in Romania so far, I also hope to use them for some more properties when they are finished.
It’s run by a very nice Irish women called Elaine based in Bucharest who has helped me very much with the furniture pack fit-out of my properties, I receiver very good quality furniture and have the properties rented now, the website is www. demarfurnishing(dot)com for anyone that wants a good honest service and reliable company based in Romania that does the job good for a fair price.

D

David howe

Dear Dean

I think I will reply to this thread before it gets out of hand and highlight the ethos that I am comming from and possibly the ethos that Diana is also on, either way I reply from my perspective.

Since Amanda Lamb came on TV and said romania is the best place for investment this place has been inundated with new found experts who are only out to exploit investors by professing that they have knowledge and experience on the Romanian market when they do not and blatantly lie about these facts to the detriment of investors.

From my perspective if someone will lie about this what else will they lie about, and I think a perfect example of this can be highlighted in what has been done to investors in Greenfields and Sydney!

There are also other bad examples being offered to foreigners on the internet by people professing to be experts and have experience.

Every person has the right to disclosure be it in law or business and if someone is professing to be something they are not do people not have the right to know this or more importantly to check out who they are dealing with?

My advice to anyone doing anything in business is check out who you are dealing with?

Start with a google search on the company on both the uk or Ireland and the country you are dealing in.

Then do a company records search of the company you are dealing with to give you idea as to date of incorporation accounts last filed etc etc.

Do a search for forums like this and see what people are saying about object or agent.

The reality is a lot of agents rely on deception to exploit investors, investors have the right to know as often it is people who are in their autuminal years or those seeking to support an ailing pension or endowment policy.

These people could be your son, mother or brother, alternatively they are someone elses.

Forums such as this have a very high educational value for the benefit of investors and a lot of agents hate them due to it putting a serious spanner in their works. I do nt think anyone reading this forum will be decieved into paying a well known foreign agent 355,000 for a house in Bucharest that we cannot get 169,000 for the same house in the same development when it was bought for over 200,000 2 years ago.

T

Transylvania Investment

Dear Dean,

Nobody questioned our knowledge. Read again the messages carefully and after you have properly read and understood what you've read, post a message.

And yes (have to agree with David on this one) am fed up with "experts" on Romanian market, with all sorts of benevolent who only seek their profits and have no interest to help their clients make a good deal. Sydney and Greenfields are just a few examples of the horrors revealed to us by our clients throughout the year.
So when I see messages praising the services of a company or another, I always question things. Perhaps you are yet another big expert and of course you don't like us, why should you? Am I right, Dean?

Thanks!

Bravo, Ray.

It seems that a few companies and individuals get a little 'irked' when some one questions their knowledge.

all power to your elbow.

Dean Edgar
Moorcroft Services srl

J

juliadavid

How we can take action against those? What's right procedure?