Furniture in Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
iain

iain

That's interesting just getting out my calulator. Do the aircon people come and fit? Guess they do.

Iain

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Iain yes they will supply and fit everything from the kitchen to waterheater and aircon. The chap I met basically said whatever I wanted he would make or get for me. This would make life easier as you would only have to deal with one person for everything.
I think the aircons for ground floor is cheaper than anything above as I belive more work is involved??
The chap would also be able to get blinds and curtains made as well as cushions, lighting etc.
This is what I will probably do. Spend a day with him talking through everything and then leaving him to it. We are flying out in Oct so I want to get the ball rolling so he will be able to have everything made and start fitting when we arrive. He also will not make anything until he has personally been to see the apartment and measured up everything for a perfect fit.

queenie40something

queenie40something

I have roughly calulated that I can furnish for quite a high standard for around £3500. Which is alot cheaper than the furniture package. Even if it goes up to £5000 I know it will be much better quality and I get what I want and not what I am given.

Also have you noticed that the furniture pack sofa in the lounge now looks filthy and shabby??

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
I have roughly calulated that I can furnish for quite a high standard for around £3500. Which is alot cheaper than the furniture package. Even if it goes up to £5000 I know it will be much better quality and I get what I want and not what I am given.

Also have you noticed that the furniture pack sofa in the lounge now looks filthy and shabby??
Most of times developer package is more than when you do it yourself but if you like to avoid the hassle you go with developer package :)

queenie40something

queenie40something

Most of times developer package is more than when you do it yourself but if you like to avoid the hassle you go with developer package :)
Hi George but in alot of cases there is no hassle really and buyers can source everything from one person for the fraction of the cost??? It is a case of knowing where to go and my advise is to not to get the over priced packages via developer / agent as you will get much better quality / cheaper sourcing your selves. Please save yourselves an arm and a leg and shop around.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi George but in alot of cases there is no hassle really and buyers can source everything from one person for the fraction of the cost??? It is a case of knowing where to go and my advise is to not to get the over priced packages via developer / agent as you will get much better quality / cheaper sourcing your selves. Please save yourselves an arm and a leg and shop around.
that's true queenie just sometimes it takes time, quality is not what you wished, so if you buy ready furniture this is the best way to do it and should have someone who have the city experience who is good and who is bad, the hassle i meant is going around and spend some days buying, some people prefere to have the flat reaady to live in :)
sometimes i wish to be the one who do building finishing, furnishing, every thing that i can control everything and deliver what is promised to my client but this is impossible that 1 person do every thing :(

ScottyMac

ScottyMac

Hi Iain yes they will supply and fit everything from the kitchen to waterheater and aircon. The chap I met basically said whatever I wanted he would make or get for me. This would make life easier as you would only have to deal with one person for everything.
I think the aircons for ground floor is cheaper than anything above as I belive more work is involved??
The chap would also be able to get blinds and curtains made as well as cushions, lighting etc.
This is what I will probably do. Spend a day with him talking through everything and then leaving him to it. We are flying out in Oct so I want to get the ball rolling so he will be able to have everything made and start fitting when we arrive. He also will not make anything until he has personally been to see the apartment and measured up everything for a perfect fit.
Hi Alison,

You seem to be a lot more organised with all this than me. Its my first time doing anything like this so i feel im in a bit over my head at the moment. I am flying over at the end of the month and my plan was to get hold of a carpenter and ask him to make most of the furniture and I was going to buy all electronics and stuff from stores over there. Then I was going to fly back over again after the carpenter was finnished and fit all the furniture and stuff. But it sounds like your getting your carpenter to make the furniture ready for when you arrive that sounds like a much better idea to me. Is this the same guy you have used in the past? Im only there for a week and would like to get as much done as possible and if stuff could be made for me for when i get there that would be great.... Especially a bed :D

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Scotty - I have not had anything made yet but have been to see a carpenter who has a workshop in Rowaysat. His merry band of workers were hard at it and the impression I got was that they took pride in their work. The quality of the furniture I saw them making was very good. There were pieces that were finished that looked really good - solid wood. At Rowaysat there are loads of different workshops and you can literally get anything there. You can wander around and look in all the workshops / shops. The one I met said it would take about a month to make all the furniture for a one bed. That is why I want to go over soon and spend the day with him planning and ordering and then arrange for it all to be fitted on my next trip in October. This trip we will then use to put the finishing touches such as pots, pans, cutlery etc.
I will arrange for him to pick my keys up from the agent just prior to us flying out in October. He can then arrange to deliver the furniture and fit the wardrobes and kitchen just prior to our arrival. Any problems we can then sort out with him as soon as we arrive.
I have found out that the tiles and shower units are as cheap as chips and that there is a showroom just by Delta Sharm where you place your order and their workshop is at Rowaysat.

ScottyMac

ScottyMac

Where is Rowaysat? Will they deliver everything to Hurghada? Also what do you do about payment do you give him a percent deposit?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Scotty - I have not had anything made yet but have been to see a carpenter who has a workshop in Rowaysat. His merry band of workers were hard at it and the impression I got was that they took pride in their work. The quality of the furniture I saw them making was very good. There were pieces that were finished that looked really good - solid wood. At Rowaysat there are loads of different workshops and you can literally get anything there. You can wander around and look in all the workshops / shops. The one I met said it would take about a month to make all the furniture for a one bed. That is why I want to go over soon and spend the day with him planning and ordering and then arrange for it all to be fitted on my next trip in October. This trip we will then use to put the finishing touches such as pots, pans, cutlery etc.
I will arrange for him to pick my keys up from the agent just prior to us flying out in October. He can then arrange to deliver the furniture and fit the wardrobes and kitchen just prior to our arrival. Any problems we can then sort out with him as soon as we arrive.
I have found out that the tiles and shower units are as cheap as chips and that there is a showroom just by Delta Sharm where you place your order and their workshop is at Rowaysat.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Rowaysat is an industrial area just outside Hadaba in Sharm. George may be abke to advise you if there is something similar in Hurghada. I would imagine they could make and ship furniture to Hurghada but then this will be extra costs for you. I dont know about the payments and this is what I need to sort out - maybe half on order and rest on delivery / installation?? I know I will be in safe hands as this chap has been at Rowaysat for many many years. But please be careful as there are rogues out there. I have heard of people that have given monies to a bogus Brit couple and they and the furniture were never seen.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi Rowaysat is an industrial area just outside Hadaba in Sharm. George may be abke to advise you if there is something similar in Hurghada. I would imagine they could make and ship furniture to Hurghada but then this will be extra costs for you. I dont know about the payments and this is what I need to sort out - maybe half on order and rest on delivery / installation?? I know I will be in safe hands as this chap has been at Rowaysat for many many years. But please be careful as there are rogues out there. I have heard of people that have given monies to a bogus Brit couple and they and the furniture were never seen.
Dear All
you don't have to worry about furniture issue, what ever you need you can find here for a good quality:)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anita

Hi all

yes i too would be interested in recommended furniture suppliers in Hurghada or Cairo or any websites would be good

thanks

Anita

L

Lisagould

Found a brilliant shop in Al Nassr Street run by a guy called Ahmed Samir. He has a place in Cairo too but has only been open in Hurghada for 2 months. His English is very good and he is so helpful - I've ordered everything I want at a fraction of the cost of readymade and it is done to my specific sizes. He even came to my apartment at DP1 and measured to ensure everything would fit and gave suggestions. You can either order from his shop using designs on show (choosing your own colours) or he will make anything. Company is called InDoors and is almost opposite the Metro Supermarket. Telephone is 0653548783 you can email with your own design and he will give you a price - can't post his email on here as it won't allow me too. Believe me I have shopped around and this is the best I have found! Stuff is made in Cairo and takes a couple of weeks for delivery but for the savings I made it is well worth it.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Lisa thanks for that. Can you, if you dont mind, give us examples of what you have ordered and the prices he charged you. It may work out cheaper for us to order from him rather than Sharm and having it shipped over.

Thanks
Alison

L

Lisagould

Hi Alison - this is what I ordered - 2 x 3 seater sofas, 1 side table, 1 large glass coffee table, 1 TV table (made to measure),1 double bed and mattress, 2 bedside cabinets, 1 freestanding large mirror, 2 twin beds (again made to measure),another bedside table, dressing table and mirror and got the lot for around 2K english pounds. I have been round alot of the shops in Hurghada and this really was the best in my opinion. Will let you know of electrical item bargains as and when I source them. I know that many of the others don't have the time to shop around when they are here due to restriced time so I've hopefully saved a few of them a trek!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Lisa thanks for that and yes please keep us updated on anything else you buy and the prices.
Has anyone bought any washbasins with units, kitchens and tiles. If so can you give us an idea on costs.

Thanks

M

M Butler

Hi Alison - this is what I ordered - 2 x 3 seater sofas, 1 side table, 1 large glass coffee table, 1 TV table (made to measure),1 double bed and mattress, 2 bedside cabinets, 1 freestanding large mirror, 2 twin beds (again made to measure),another bedside table, dressing table and mirror and got the lot for around 2K english pounds. I have been round alot of the shops in Hurghada and this really was the best in my opinion. Will let you know of electrical item bargains as and when I source them. I know that many of the others don't have the time to shop around when they are here due to restriced time so I've hopefully saved a few of them a trek!
Lisa,
We are moving from Cairo to El Gouna in May. We already have a lot of furniture to bring with us which we did have made in Cairo as you said, at a fraction of the cost. We still have some stuff to get so we will try Ahmed.

Have you found anywhere for curtain fabric and anyone to make them up?
I use a guy in Cairo who is excellent (he did the curtains in the Movenpick in El Gouna and has also done some Nile cruise boats. He is willing to come to El Gouna for me and if there is nothing available in Hurghada I am sure he would be delighted to do business. He also makes sofas, armchairs, quilted beadspreads, re-upholstery indoor and outdoor.

Margaret

Status
Not open for further replies.