Furniture in Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Lyndsay - he will measure the space where my kitchen will be and calculate how many sq m and then charge me £60 per sq m of space ( thats what I am assuming he meant anyway ) George may know more of how they work this.

L

lyndsay552

Thanks Queenie, just trying to get it right in my head. My kitchen will be in an L shape, 4m x 2.6m. Does that mean he will charge £624 for the kitchen units? If it is, George, can you sort something out? Thankyou

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Sounds right to me but surely this does not include granite or marble work surfaces or white goods?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Sounds right to me but surely this does not include granite or marble work surfaces or white goods?
Hi Peter - no this is for cabinets only and worktops are cheap anyway. It is alot cheaper to do your homework and get a price from a good cabinet / furniture maker and it is solid wood and not MDF sh*te. I have also been quoted from the same fella - fitted built in wall to wall wardrobes, matching bed, mattress, drawers, bedside cabs, dress table, stool and mirror in solid wood ( great if letting as extremely hard wearing ) for less than £800!! How much would that cost from UK??

ScottyMac

ScottyMac

Hi All,

My appartment is ready and im booked to go to Egypt on the 29th of April. I need to furnish the entire appartment so I can rent it out.
I was woundering if the people who have done theres already or in process have any advice they can give me?
My appartment is 2 bedroom. I was going to do one double bed room and then a twin room that the beds could push together to make a double, and have a sofa bed in the lounge.

I was woundering if its going to be cheaper to get it all from one supplier or carpenter or to go to different people? Id like quality stuff i.e real wood and nice worktops in the kitchen.

All advice welcome.

Cheers

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Scotty

From my research on furniture in Sharm it is alot cheaper to get it made from a local carpenter and in most cases the quality is much better.

If you want ready made furniture then Cairo is so much cheaper than the furniture stores in resorts. They will deliver cheaply as well. Might be worth spending a day in the malls in Cairo.

ScottyMac

ScottyMac

Hi

It all depends on time and how you feel about shopping around. Queenie is right Cairo is cheapest for readymade items and they usually deliver but it can be hardwork with the travel.

There are local carpenters in Hurghada who can make anything you want just give them a picture or design. Propertywatch1(Derek) has used a local carpenter and has got some brilliant real wood items eg beds,sofas, wardrobes,kitchen cabinets etc. You can pm him if you want details etc.

Finally there is a lady called Adele who has a company called Blue Horizons who will do furniture packages at very good prices and she will also go with you to pick out any extras etc She is originally from the North East but has lived in Egypt for many years and knows everyone. A good person to know to avoid the stress of Furnishing Apartments yourself etc

Hope this helps

Regards

Westmids33
Thanks for your help people do you have contact details for Adele?

L

lyndsay552

Has anyone used Adele to furnish their apartment? I have been in contact with her by email and she responds quite quickly.

Lyndsay

B

babette

Yes I did, she does her work very well and can help you with everything.

L

lyndsay552

Thanks Babette, she's coming back to me today with a furniture list and prices.

ScottyMac

ScottyMac

Hi All,

Adele raised a point that wood furniture made in egypt always cracks due to the weather and that her furniture comes from abroad suppliers. Has anyone had this problem for the furniture made by egyption carpenters?

Cheers,

S

Sedge

Hi All,

Adele raised a point that wood furniture made in egypt always cracks due to the weather and that her furniture comes from abroad suppliers. Has anyone had this problem for the furniture made by egyption carpenters?

Cheers,
Hi Scotty, all wood here comes from abroad that is why it is a little on the expensive side as Egypt is quite a barren terrain and cannot yield the type of trees that good solid furniture can be made from.The imported wood is then left to season an dry out before it can be worked, after this there is no problem at all as all the carpenters of which there are hundreds will explain to you if you take time out and sit down an talk to them. The rogue carpenters who don`t seem to respect the foreigner thinking we do not know anything about carpentry are the ones who use pallets, fruit boxes and any old wood they can adapt to shape the items they want to make. Anyone who has used pallets and fruit boxes in shed DIY know how brittle they are and how easily they split so a suite made from this material you may find that if you lean or sit on an arm you would get a shock as you hear a horrendous snapping noise and then that awful feeling inside that the beautiful suite you thought you had is made from the above material an it does happen so a reputable carpenter is what you need. There are a great many skilled and talented carpenters here and its not fair to assume they are all alike, just take care.
Sorry its a long one Scottymac but I hope you find it helpful.

ScottyMac

ScottyMac

Hi Scotty, all wood here comes from abroad that is why it is a little on the expensive side as Egypt is quite a barren terrain and cannot yield the type of trees that good solid furniture can be made from.The imported wood is then left to season an dry out before it can be worked, after this there is no problem at all as all the carpenters of which there are hundreds will explain to you if you take time out and sit down an talk to them. The rogue carpenters who don`t seem to respect the foreigner thinking we do not know anything about carpentry are the ones who use pallets, fruit boxes and any old wood they can adapt to shape the items they want to make. Anyone who has used pallets and fruit boxes in shed DIY know how brittle they are and how easily they split so a suite made from this material you may find that if you lean or sit on an arm you would get a shock as you hear a horrendous snapping noise and then that awful feeling inside that the beautiful suite you thought you had is made from the above material an it does happen so a reputable carpenter is what you need. There are a great many skilled and talented carpenters here and its not fair to assume they are all alike, just take care.
Sorry its a long one Scottymac but I hope you find it helpful.
OK thanks alot thats cleared things up. I shall make sure I stick to reccomended carpenters if i decide to go down that route.

Thanks for the help.

derek1959

derek1959

Furniture packs

Hello everyone,
has anyone purchased a furniture pack through Sigma which come from a company called 'A world of interiors'.
Any advise/comments appreciated.

S

Sedge

HI ,I received an email from the forum thinking this was for me but its a general one.
I personally have not heard of them but I cannot understand this package business as everyone has a different idea of what they want in their property.There are carpenters here who will do you whatever you require at a reasonable price just shop around or pm me. Sedge

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sedge

A world of Interiors are importers of Far eastern furniture in the UK & Sigma are a off shore high tech office & furniture co with high prices any more info PM me.

J

Jeremy Sturgess

Hi sadly I dont know how to PM but I wonder if you can reply to this email with address and phone number of ambience as i plan to be in hurghada this afternoon

thanks in advance

jeremy

Theres a new place in Hurghada called Ambiance which has the best quality stock I have seen here with very reasonable prices!! They have just put together some complee packages for us.

PM me for details!

Status
Not open for further replies.