Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

French Healthcare update

Discussion in 'French Property' started by Steve Robert, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. Steve Robert

    Steve Robert New Member


    Just seen an update regarding the recent French Health care proposals.

    According to IFP (Internet French Property), anyone registered with the State health insurance system (CMU) as of the 30th Sept 07 could retain their entitlement to free health care.

    Nothing confirmed yet, but it does seems that the opposition to the proposals is gaining momentum.

  2. Janoulaki

    Janoulaki New Member

    Many people are concerned about this but I have been talking to various of our partners, the main solicitor chap we use for example and also some of my French colleagues and they all seem to think it sounds a whole lot worse than it is.

    As our solicitor says, the healthcare system is still available, it just means that those under retiring age will have to pay more to access it! Maybe we were all spoilt, being able to access the first class French healthcare system for next to nothing! To help you, here is a quote directly :

    "The health reforms are regarded as essential because currently around 80% of France’s GDP is spent servicing the 1.4 trillion euro French debt. It is important to stress, however, in the light of the changes, that healthcare in France, unlike the UK, has always been partly contributory. The state will normally cover between 15 – 70% depending upon the type of the medical treatment and the balance is either paid directly by the individual, or through a ‘top up’ complementary health insurance policy. British expats living in France have always had to pay something into the health system to cover the shortfall.”

    Now under the changes individuals from the EU who are resident in France must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for subscription to the French state healthcare system, the Couverture Maladie Universelle (CMU):

    • They are in receipt of a state pension, which would in the UK qualify then for an E121 form
    • They are in receipt of an E106 – valid for up to 2.5 years upon moving to France
    • They are working in France and therefore contributing to the French system
    Previously, British expats who had moved to France before retirement age could make voluntary contributions to subscribe to the CMU, in much the same way as one can make voluntary National Insurance contributions in the UK. However, under the changes, this will no longer be available as an option.

    What this means for British pre-retirees who already live or plan to live in France, is that once the reciprocal cover provided by the E106 expires, they will have to seek out a comprehensive private healthcare insurance policy for themselves and their dependants. This is likely to cost in the order of 1,500€ per annum for a single person aged 50, or around 2,500€ for a couple around the same age. Although this may seem expensive, it is considerably cheaper than the compulsory earnings-related healthcare contributions made by all of those working in France.

    Alternatively, British expats can start contributing into the French social security system, either by finding employment perhaps as a self-employed tradesman, or by starting up a small business such as chambres d’hotes. This would mean that they are, in effect, paying their own compulsory earnings-related contributions to receive basic healthcare.

    Any more info

    Read France Buying Guide (ask me for link in PM)
    contact me directly
    Overseas Guides Company

    Best Regards,

  3. melanie123456

    melanie123456 New Member

    Thanks for the article, nice to know it isnt as bad as we first thought
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page