Free inspection trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Investy

I have had many dealings with agents. The best are a rare breed indeed a world away from the rest, in fact they often dont even need to advertise or sell - they just find the good investments and adivse.

Its dead easy to spot the spivs; The spivs will usually not have sufficient detail on aftersales, rental logistics, rental season, competition etc.

They will say things like "Calabria is a good investment cause its cheaper than Spain" - what you must to as an investor is unpick EVERY word and ask yourself what it means.

M

mickthepropertyguru

Mickthepropertyguru, I have no objections to the idea of a client looking for the best property by its own means, and I, as a company, will never refuse a client coming by appointment, and do all my best to show all my properties (or lets say, those I think are suited to this very specific client).

However, what is the meaning of a viewing trip? Talking personally, although I strongly believe that this trip is more about business than holiday, I also do think that its also about getting the client to know more about the location. To purchase a property is not only about getting 4 walls and a roof, but also a "lifestyle". The house can be absolutely perfect, but it has no value at all if the location is way behind what was expected.

Do you think, a "client" who has 10 appointments, with 10 different agency, and this in 3 days will ever have time to truly discover the place? By night, he will be so tired that even dinner will be most probably forgotten...

I think that your main point is at the "hassle from the eager-to-sell agent", and I agree with you that this can be very very annoying. Aegean has a point when he says that there is no difference between big-small companies for the client. I am not very sure of that, since the client can very easily have an idea about each companies with just a simple click into each respective web sites. One will show 10 countries where they operate, while the other is most probably only operating in just one. Even this may be enough to give an idea about the company.
************************ Exactly an investor shouldn't go out for just three days !! *****************************
Your giving me a pitch as if i was sitting down at a table in an exhibition in front of you :)
Lets not forget that a 3 day trip means that they could be traveling for much of the first and last day leaving most with only 1.5 days in the end or less.
Everything that you said above can be done on a appointment too(i.e. going out by themselves and meeting different companies each day),without being stuck with one company for the duration ! If they go out by themselves they can stay as long as they want, can rent a car (which they cant do on an if) and have choices.
If your read my posts carefully i think you would understand my points better !

What I'm saying is that investors should first have studied the market they would like to get into, this could take months. Also they would have all the info on as many different developments from as many companies as they like, plans, price list, availability, location before they even go!

Then go out by themselves (they buy their own flights and hotel) and when they are out there for four or five days, they make appointments with as many companies as they want and view them rather than being ushered around for one and a half days by one company.
The main issue i have is choice. Inspection Trips by companies limit choice.

You still haven't answered my question !
What can you do on an Inspection Flight/Trip for 3 days (1.5 days really) with a company that you cant do by going out on your own steam and arranging to meet each company on your terms for a day ??????
The only logical answer is that the Inspection Flights/trips are subsidized by the company. So you may save €200 maybe €300 but you sacrifice choice of company and investment ! You can get the same info by asking for appointments as going on an Inspection Flight................................
I cant make my point any clearer.

N

New Home in Turkey

************************ Exactly an investor shouldn't go out for just three days !! *****************************
Your giving me a pitch as if i was sitting down at a table in an exhibition in front of you :)
Lets not forget that a 3 day trip means that they could be traveling for much of the first and last day leaving most with only 1.5 days in the end or less.
Everything that you said above can be done on a appointment too(i.e. going out by themselves and meeting different companies each day),without being stuck with one company for the duration ! If they go out by themselves they can stay as long as they want, can rent a car (which they cant do on an if) and have choices.
If your read my posts carefully i think you would understand my points better !

What I'm saying is that investors should first have studied the market they would like to get into, this could take months. Also they would have all the info on as many different developments from as many companies as they like, plans, price list, availability, location before they even go!

Then go out by themselves (they buy their own flights and hotel) and when they are out there for four or five days, they make appointments with as many companies as they want and view them rather than being ushered around for one and a half days by one company.
The main issue i have is choice. Inspection Trips by companies limit choice.

You still haven't answered my question !
What can you do on an Inspection Flight/Trip for 3 days (1.5 days really) with a company that you cant do by going out on your own steam and arranging to meet each company on your terms for a day ??????
The only logical answer is that the Inspection Flights/trips are subsidized by the company. So you may save €200 maybe €300 but you sacrifice choice of company and investment ! You can get the same info by asking for appointments as going on an Inspection Flight................................
I cant make my point any clearer.

Mickthepropertyguru, i think that there is a clear distinction to be made between 2 types of property purchaser:
1 - Mr.&Ms John, living in London, having each a full day job, and looking to purchase a property overseas for investment purposes, but also as a holiday property. (Viewing trip advised, cost effective, time effective etc...)
2 - Mr. OR Ms John, making a life with overseas property investment, buy-to-let,buy-to-sell etc (Personal viewing advised, appointment with x,y,z agency, taking the time in the country of preference)

A

Aegean

New Home - I am in the game and don't agree with you. I find it best to get people who have been out with other agents - don't put pressure on them - be open and honest (tell them good points and bad points of each property) but most important don't try and push in as many property viewings you can in a day.

I always sit down with them and find out what they want not what you think they may want. In some cases I have said I have not got anything that meets their needs as why waste their time and mine.

N

New Home in Turkey

Aegean, I dont really think that we are discussing about 2 entirely different things.

I totally agree with you, and also think that our job is not only about showing the pros but also the cons.Its a very basic ethical duty that all people involved in this business should follow.

However, although I fear that you are not agreeing with me, I just want to say that a viewing trip is not a trap agencies use to get the client, or lets say, not for all of them. Some may just think that it is a part of their job to bring the client over and show them all the properties they think are suitable for them, and be sure that nothing stays untold or unseen. Simple as that...

Status
Not open for further replies.