Financial Times - Brazil is the 21st-century power to watch

mrvibe

mrvibe

Brazil is the 21st-century power to watch

By Michael Skapinker
Published: October 19 2009 20:01 | Last updated: October 19 2009 20:01
When I appeared on a panel of journalists from international publications recently, the moderator asked us to nominate our big story for the next year.

One of the panellists suggested the UK parliamentary elections. A second mentioned the continued ramifications of the financial crisis. I said Brazil, which I was about to visit for the first time.

Consider, I said: Brazil had come through the financial crisis in reasonable shape. It was sitting on a vast deep-sea oil find. It had just seen the world’s biggest stock market listing this year – the $8bn flotation of part of the Brazilian arm of Santander. It would also be host to the world’s two biggest sporting events: the 2014 football World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games – which Rio de Janeiro had won this month over Tokyo, Madrid and Chicago.

Yet as I sat on my flight to Rio, I could not suppress some trepidation at the country’s well-known drawback. “Violence and crime can occur anywhere and often involve firearms or other weapons,” the British Foreign Office travel advice on Brazil says. “Cases of carjacking occur, sometimes with the occupants being taken and forced to withdraw money from their accounts at cash machines.”

As for public transport: “There have been instances where gangs have set buses alight leaving passengers inside after robbing them,” the Foreign Office said.

Official advice is often frightening. Should the worst happen, governments do not want you saying they should have warned you.

But old Brazil hand Peter Robb was no more reassuring. Brazil was “a country of immense natural wealth, at peace with its neighbours and facing no unusual turbulence or social unrest within its borders. Yet the killing rate in Brazil, tens of thousands of violent deaths a year, falls within the parameters of the United Nations’ definition of a low-intensity civil war,” he wrote in his hypnotically compelling book A Death in Brazil.

I saw none of this. But within two days of my departure, gun battles between rival Rio drug gangs claimed at least 14 lives, including three police officers killed when their helicopter was shot down.

People who live in high-crime countries often say three things. First, that nothing has ever happened to them in their supposedly dangerous hometown, but that they have been mugged in, say, London. Second, that all you need to do is take the same sensible precautions you would at home. Third, that violence is confined to certain areas and consists mostly of criminals killing each other.

The first defence is silly. Of course people are mugged in London. It is just a lot less common. The second misses the point: at home, you know which neighbourhoods are rough and who the troublemakers might be. In a new place you do not, and miscreants sense your hesitation.

The third is true in some places, but not in Brazil, where violence frequently spreads outside the favelas and where the better-off fret about their safety.

It is to Brazil’s great credit that during several days of talks and interviews in Rio and São Paulo, not one person denied that the country’s violent crime was real and could have a serious impact on its development, not to mention on its two showcase sporting events.

It is not just crime. Brazil’s rail, road and airport facilities require daunting investment. The vast gap between rich and poor is immediately evident.

Yet Brazil is a country with outstanding potential, a welcoming and richly diverse people, excellent food and several world-class companies. Unlike China, Brazil has no sharp ethnic conflicts and is a multi-party democracy. Brazilians complain about their politicians’ corruption, but point out that, unlike in the US, results in presidential elections – the next is due in October 2010 – are announced swiftly.

Extracting the newly-found oil, buried beneath thousands of metres of water, rock and salt, will be challenging. But the reserves present the intriguing prospect of Brazil becoming a major oil exporter while deriving most of its own electricity from hydro energy and powering many of its cars with sugar cane ethanol.

Brazilians know oil can be a curse as well as a blessing. How it uses its new wealth will determine whether it becomes a 21st-century force.

Brazil is a thrilling place to visit. In his book, Robb wrote: “Rio is huge and lovely and terrifying. São Paulo is huger and more terrifying and not lovely at all.”

He is right about Rio’s loveliness – the Olympic marathon is going to make for stunning television. São Paulo, while not lovely, has more shaded jacaranda-lined avenues than you might expect.

Brazil will be a big story – not just over the next year but for many more to come.
Source: The Financial Times

D

DGM42

"But within two days of my departure, gun battles between rival Rio drug gangs claimed at least 14 lives, including three police officers killed when their helicopter was shot down."

I have just come back from Rio, it was around 34 people that were killed not 14 and there was a major police presence for a couple of days afterwards.

A couple of weeks before a gang of youths steamed the beach, which is an organised gang that robbed people on the beach, becasue of the sheer numbers they cannot be stopped and diss-appeared back to their favela, the police have not caught them.

That has happened in London especailly the Notting Hill Carnival.

As for your 3 statements of course people get mugged all around the world even in so called low crime areas,

2, yes take precautions as you would at home buit more important make sure you speak to the locals as to the best places to visit and of course the no go areas.

Example in Rio my fiancee and me went to walk to the Botanical gardens, after about 15 minutes walk we were getting some looks, so we spoke to some locals walking along and they said we have to walk through a rough area and wouldn't recommend it so we went elsewhere.

3. most of the voilence is in the favelas and between themselves and the drug pushers, of course the muggers will venture into richer areas they do in the UK it is richer pickings.

Brasil is a voilent country but a fantastic country, luckily nothing has happened to me in all the times I have been there. Malawi is far more dangerous.

The government really do have to do something about the crime and poverty in Rio, after the troubles last week the worlds papers were all talking about it, how can the country have credibility that it can host the Olympics and keep people safe. Building big walls around the favelas won't help.

On talking to lots of locals about the Olympics like the UK most don't want it as it will do nothing for them the big corporations will make millions the ordinary people nothing but will end up paying for it.

Brasil has a great future ahead of it but the crime, corruption and voilence need serious work.
The infrastructure like roads need totally updating, some country areas are still just dirt roads that lead to wonderful little villages.

J

Jamie Mac

I have to agree with the article in the Times.. for me it sums up Brazil and whats going on. Jamie

Usha

Usha

I have heard Brazil is "going to happen" all my life. However, Brazil as many other countries, has gotten better in some aspects, but deteriorated in others. I just wonder how we can change. Call Obama? LOL

My son has just asked me if I could choose any country to born at, which one I would choose? After thinking really hard, Brazil was my only choice.

There is no amount of violence, of poverty, of everything bad that can happen that will taint the good parts of Brazil. When Brazilians are good, they are the best! But I still hate to drive there, the bureaucracy, the "no respect to clients", the destruction of our most beautiful places by a band of quick profit hungry businessmen that have no idea what sustainability means, etc. But most of all, I hate the fact that it is so hard for people to understand that it is possible to end with poverty and violence, even though it needs a lot of investment. Education, birth control, decent work opportunities, etc. I do not understand how a country with such low wages has expensive goods and services. I do think it is because we do not have enough market, but then, why not create it with better wages? Mysteries that only a genius economist can apprehend!

Sorry guys, I was rambling. But I cannot even think of anyone who does not get why Brazil is so especial: it is the people. But if they are kept being beaten by the system, we may loose our biggest treasure.