Filing German Tax returns

B

Beaufort1

Can anyone point us in the direction of how to contact the German tax authorities or tax advisors. Also more importantly can you tell us when we have to file a tax return. We are resident/domiciled in the UK for tax purposes but realise the Germans require us to declare our modest rental income which we started receiving last September.
We got a letter from our German Lawyer with details of a tax advisor who wants to charge €275 including 19% VAT for preparation of tax returns. I'm not sure if this is for a single or joint return. Does this sound good value?

N

neustria

One solution would be to pay out the €275 this year and then, next year, use this year's return as a model for doing the filing yourself in 2009. Being non-resident and with a sole source of income, the declaration should be pretty straightforward.
Some places (Germany?) also apply a forfeited percentage charge to non-residents to cover their tax obligations. Normally you just have to choose the option but you nearly always, I think, end up paying more than you would if you filed a declaration.
I too would be interested to know more on this if anybody out there has solid information on the subject.
Neustria

W

warwickwanderers

I'd welcome connecting - off line if more relevant - as I suspect we are in the same position (acquired German flat 1st Oct 2007 and now faced with high fee relative to income)!

B

Beaufort1

Does anyone know if the German authorities give you a personal allowance for use against the rental income:confused:

P

PatrickM

Accountant with German background

Hello,

I am an accountant in Australia with German heritage and intend to invest in Germany (2-3 apartments) over the next 6 month. I'll review the german tax law for foreign investors and will publish anything i find (naturally i cannot guarantee teh accuracy but at least give you some indication).

Patrick

R

rightmove

I wonder if the tax return forms available in English? Are they easy enough to fill it myself? Thank you.

R

rightmove

I wonder if the tax return forms available in English? Are they easy enough to fill it myself? Thank you.
May be it will be interesting for someone, I have found out the answers myself. The forms are not available in English. The cost of lawyer's service is up to 300 euros for filling the form (for annual rent).

S

selwood

Hi Everybody
Has anybody found a good cheap accountant who can do German Tax Return Forms on behalf of somebody with an income from property.
When do the forms have to be filled in by?
kind regards

L

Living9

Tax Returns on German btl

I hope I will be able to lodge some useful pointers onsite as I am attempting to do my tax return (with a German speaking friend) this week. My german is very basic but I have managed to get the gist of the form using a dictionary and the free translation web service

Paying the ground rent etc has been simple and as I opened a german bank account I do the domestic transfer online direct to the tax office (bank details on all their letters). Thought it best to be very prompt so as to stay beneath the radar.

Somebody suggested paying an accountant once and then following the mould for sucessive years; yes, good idea; however, like doing UK tax online if you are self-employed; it is actually not that difficult once you get the knack. Even a small internet search has given me details of items I can claim for so hopefully will have something to offer later this week which may be of help.

P

Prop-erty

I hope I will be able to lodge some useful pointers onsite as I am attempting to do my tax return (with a German speaking friend) this week. My german is very basic but I have managed to get the gist of the form using a dictionary and the free translation web service

Paying the ground rent etc has been simple and as I opened a german bank account I do the domestic transfer online direct to the tax office (bank details on all their letters). Thought it best to be very prompt so as to stay beneath the radar.

Somebody suggested paying an accountant once and then following the mould for sucessive years; yes, good idea; however, like doing UK tax online if you are self-employed; it is actually not that difficult once you get the knack. Even a small internet search has given me details of items I can claim for so hopefully will have something to offer later this week which may be of help.
Thank you so much. Any links that you have found useful?

M

mart123

Online Forms

Thank you so much. Any links that you have found useful?
Hi,
Here is the web site for downloading forms which you should be able to fill in and return:
https://www.elster.de/elfo_home.php

The forms you have to fill out as far as I know are

ESt1A

Mantelbogen Einkommensteuererklärung

2006 bis 2008

ESt

Anlage V

Vermietung und Verpachtung

2006 bis 2008

ESt

Renting out appartments is tax advantageous in Germany you can set most costs against your tax, e.g. Property Management, interest etc.

The biggest advantage is depreciation of the Bulding. Basically the tax authorities treat the capital cost as consisting of two portions
Ground
Bricks and Mortar

The bricks and Mortar portion can be depreciated by 2% per year over 50 years. The portion of the building which can be depreciated is set by the tax authorities.
For the flats I owe in Munich it's about 70.
regards,
Martin

H

Hoban

Hi Everybody
Has anybody found a good cheap accountant who can do German Tax Return Forms on behalf of somebody with an income from property.
When do the forms have to be filled in by?
kind regards
I would be interested to know this too. The tax return due date of 31st May is fast approaching and we have been quoted 495 euros by a Irish firm (I think probably associated with the Irish 3-lettered property company that nobody names) which I think is excessive! I'd be really grateful for a recommendation for a cheaper, reliable firm. Thanks!

jugde

jugde

German Tax

Hi All,

We are just trying to fill in the tax return for the last year and have few questions (mainly about Anlage A). We would REALLY appreciate if we could get the answers!!!

1) Where can you fill in the expences for the property costs (heating, water, refuse...) that we are paying to the management company. We thing it is in line 46, but not sure if we can claim 100% of those?

2) Where can we claim costs for the interest on the loan and again can we claim 100%?

3) We know that you can claim 2% for brick and mortar amortization, but not sure if this is in line 33? What is the amount we can use - on the form it looks like it is the purchase price? Also not sure how columns 1, 2,3 and 4 should be filled in.

Thanks for help to all!

Also, does anyone know any "reasonable value" tax advisor (we have been quoted extortionate prices)?

Cheers
Nives

B

bobruisk

So you buy a property, you receive euro 300 a month, you have your expences, paying property management an accountant repairs and so on.
What pretancage do you pay on your clear profits ?