ad

Falling pound must be attracting overseas investors again?

L

lookinginvest

All of this incertainty surrounding Brexit, etc is taking its toll on the pound again. Will overseas real estate investors make use of what could be a relatively short term window of opportunity?

R

realdeals

I think many investors believe the pound might come under even more pressure in the medium term - no doubt the EU will try to play hard ball as the deadline day for Brexit approaches.

K

kchiggs

A lot of the Forex guys I talk to expect a decline after Brexit day, as they don't think the UK gov is compentent enough to get anything but no deal and WTO rules. Which will lead to slump in pound, a few round of QE to prop up the UK economy, when all the renters go back to the EU and those BTL mortgages fall due.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Once the news, good or bad, is clear then markets will simply recalibrate to the appropriate level. It will be interesting to see how many renters "go back to the EU" as Leave supporters have always argued that immigrants from the EU have been milking the UK benefits system while Remain supporters have always argued they have been starting a new life in the UK.

D

diyhelp

Expect some volatility with sterling if yesterdays farce is anything to go by. As a foreign investor looking in I would be tempted to hold off - another general election almost certain for the new year when the DUP withdraws support for the Tories.

K

kchiggs

Expect some volatility with sterling if yesterdays farce is anything to go by. As a foreign investor looking in I would be tempted to hold off - another general election almost certain for the new year when the DUP withdraws support for the Tories.
I'm not sure a DUP withdrawal would kill off Tories goverment and if they do withdraw they risk a choice of a no deal hard border or having to prop up corbyn(I'm not sure which they would consider worse)

R

realdeals

The DUP/Tory deal was stretched to the limit from day one. Even setting aside the deal between the 2 parties, I think it is a scandal that the EU and Irish Rep are putting pressure on the UK to treat Northern Ireland differently from the rest of the UK - thin end of the wedge in my view.

N

nmb

Brexit phase 1 seems to have been completed (unless it falls apart again). Surely this must at least firm up the pound - will we see foreign investors looking to take advantage of the rate as it stands before a recovery?