Expats in Poland

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bryson

Hi,

I'm looking for advice i know so many people are leaving Poland and are looking for a better life, i live in Belfast most of my life and im also looking for a new life and Poland is my choice i can get by with my Polish but as regulars work that?s a different story , i am 47 years of age a very good carpenter and very well qualified and understand wages are very low I have mainly been to Krakow several times ,any one with any tips please let me know.

Regards!!!

D

DC

Dear Bryson, why do you think all the Poles are in London, for the money of course, you can go there to live, but to work forget it. You wont earn much money. Is a place to go once you want to retire.

J

John

Goldberg Global said:
Dear Bryson, why do you think all the Poles are in London, for the money of course, you can go there to live, but to work forget it. You wont earn much money. Is a place to go once you want to retire.
I second that motion!

The Polish are actually now badly in need of skilled tradesmen as the majority of their own are overseas. They are actively trying to woe people back from Ireland and the UK but very few are returning - simply because the money is brutal compared to what can be earned abroad. I think that even with the low (but increasing) prices there, you wouldn't have much quality of life. Unless of course you consider a career move. Maybe others on here have ideas on that...

J

John Mclane

Visiting and living in Poland is a completely different story

S

songo

Living in Poland

Visiting and living in Poland is a completely different story
Oh, don't be so pesymist ;) Everything (like around the world) depends of money - money at your account :D
I travel a lot of Europe - I think that I have compare in this topic.
Shortly:
Plus - still cheaper living prices (house, food, services, beer :) )
Plus - still many 'natural' places to be. No chemistry, central planning, regulated rivers, etc.
Plus - (especially for me :)) good quality, natural food
Minus - If you are not spec in brand office from west company - poor salary :eek:
Minus - crazy law, stupid people in inland revenues ...
Minus - politycs who care only for their own.

O

oregon woodsmoke

A good way to live in a foreign country where wages are low is to have a business that can be worked over the internet.

Usually in countries where the cost of living is low, that is a reflection of the very low wages. Prices for food and housing reflect what the locals can afford, which is not much. It doesn't help you much if best steak is 2 pounds sterling if you can only earn 30 pence an hour.

It's possible (probably) to set yourself up as a handyman service in areas where there is a large ex-pat population that doesn't speak the natrive language. I would think that you could charge the Brits slightly more than the local workers, simply because they can talk to you, and they can't explain to the locals what they need done. You'd have to know a lot about local construction, and it wouldn't make you rich, but you might be able to get enough work to support yourself.

If you have lots of cash, there is obviously a market for spec houses (speculative, you build them hoping you can sell them when they are done) to be sold to in-coming foreign nationals.

G

grabarz

Oh, don't be so pesymist ;) Everything (like around the world) depends of money - money at your account :D
I travel a lot of Europe - I think that I have compare in this topic.
Shortly:
Plus - still cheaper living prices (house, food, services, beer :) )
Plus - still many 'natural' places to be. No chemistry, central planning, regulated rivers, etc.
Plus - (especially for me :)) good quality, natural food
Minus - If you are not spec in brand office from west company - poor salary :eek:
Minus - crazy law, stupid people in inland revenues ...
Minus - politycs who care only for their own.
I agree with Songo. I see you really were here in Poland (I'm living in Poland). The biggest plus in my oppinion is the quality of food.

D

Damian George

Seams to be a exodus from the uk by polish people at the moment as the Zloty is strengthening against the pound and not what it used to be.

Maybe it is the developing countries to do a little catch up and opportunity for the brave.

Why not market yourself to English investors wanting renovation work done for holiday lets?

Status
Not open for further replies.