Estate agent contract

K

Kirstine

Hello, I am just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the legalities of estate agent contracts, do both owners of the property have to sign estate agent contract or can they just ask for one? Thank you

P

PostBrexitInvestor

I would assume - although I am no expert - that all owners of the property would need to sign to appoint a representative?

Imagine the situation where a property is for sale via different people with different estate agents - oh no, a recipe for disaster!

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
At the end of the day both parties would need to sign documents to complete a sale so why would it be different with an estate agent contract?

K

Kirstine

I agree but my estate agent only has my ex partners signature not mine, he is telling me that he only needs one and im struggling to find out wether they need one or two

D

diyhelp

I dont believe that for a second - they have signed the contract not you. If you agree to sell the house that is up to you but if you dont then where does this leave your ex-partner. They have agreed a sale in principle but the other party wont sell.

If you name is on the deeds then there is nothing your partner can do without your say so. I cant believe any estate agent would agree to act without the consent of both parties.

F

FWL

Is there a dispute between you and your ex-partner? This could get very messy!

P

Paulino

Of course, I am not an expert in this matter, but I can say that everyone who owns real estate must sign a contract with a real estate company. And I think it's obvious because if one of the owners does not want to sell the property, it will be illegal to sell it. It's just logic, man! Although, when I was selling my real estate, I discussed all such issues with this real estate company -- Satchells Hitchin, and they always dealt with everything well: documentation, registration, and so on. I hope my post will help you. Good luck!

Last edited: