Escrow Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattw

Does anyone know how to confirm whether the account you are sending money to is actually an ESCROW account or the developers account. I'm wary of taking agents and developers word on this.

Would the bank be prepared to give out this info, or is it a matter for a solicitor.

Thanks,

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Hi Mattw

Are you talking about any particular Developer? I have five properties with Resort Alliance in Sahl Hasheesh. All money with them is held by their trustees in Escrow until payments have to be made to the Developer. This way the Developer does not get any money until he signs off on each stage of the project; if he goes out of business or does not complete he does not get paid and RA find another Developer to finish the job. So far everything has been fine and the Developer has no problem building with his own cash and waiting for the money from Escrow when it is due.

A

andyharris

mattw

There are no such things as escrow accounts in Egypt, the monies will almost certainly go directly into the developers account.

As a developing country there are very few global development companies involved that are rich enough to be able to build without using the clients money as cash flow.

However the cost of the land is cheap and the build cost is low, from a developers point of view there is more value in completing a dvelopment and moving on than taking a handful of deposits and 'doing a runner'

A good solicitor can check the due diligence of the developer including if there are any outstanding monies on the land.

Although the local developers will try to get as much as they can for their properties they will almost always carry the development to the end.

As far as the government are concerned the touristic revenue is THE most important revenue to them, and if a local developer abuses foreign investment they are punished beyond belief, I have even known the authorities step in to deliver the developers promises to safe guard the future tourism investment program and industry.

I feel it is a safe investment but you obviously need to check everthing and take as much advice as possible.

Regards

Andy

Z

Zeiad Yehia

mattw

There are no such things as escrow accounts in Egypt, the monies will almost certainly go directly into the developers account.

As a developing country there are very few global development companies involved that are rich enough to be able to build without using the clients money as cash flow.

However the cost of the land is cheap and the build cost is low, from a developers point of view there is more value in completing a dvelopment and moving on than taking a handful of deposits and 'doing a runner'

A good solicitor can check the due diligence of the developer including if there are any outstanding monies on the land.

Although the local developers will try to get as much as they can for their properties they will almost always carry the development to the end.

As far as the government are concerned the touristic revenue is THE most important revenue to them, and if a local developer abuses foreign investment they are punished beyond belief, I have even known the authorities step in to deliver the developers promises to safe guard the future tourism investment program and industry.

I feel it is a safe investment but you obviously need to check everthing and take as much advice as possible.

Regards

Andy
Dear Andy,

I've been reading your posts for a while, and I can tell you you've been useful for people who needed the information you provided them with, and this is exactly why I would like to update the information by saying that escrow accounts DO EXIST in Egypt, and this can be done via 2 banks; which are CIB and Arab African Bank. We solicitors have to check the background of every developer with or without an escrow account, since pifalls can appear at any time, and "better safe than sorry", consequently the lawyer's job includes checking with the authorities for any potential loans, liens, mortgages...etc. on the desired project.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Sahl Hasheesh Escrow Account

mattw

Regards

Andy
All money paid for purchases in Sahl Hasheesh is paid to Resort Alliance Trust AG. The money is held in escrow by the trustees in Germany, not in Egypt.

With regard to your offer I will take you up on that; I am sure that there are things we should discuss.

D

dave99

Anyone that feels that they need an escrow acount by default feels that they cannot trust the developer, or am I mis-reading this. If you are so uncertain about this process then maybe you should only pay anything in stages as you would in the UK, that way YOU control the money not anyone else.
I have just started selling my own apartments in Hurghada and have been asked about escrow accounts, and I am happy to offer this, however so far my new owners have not felt the need for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dave99

Escrow arrangements

Open question -

Why would anyone want to use an Escrow arrangement:

What is the benefit for: -

1. Developer

2. Buyer

3. Escrow Agent​

D

DC

Simply gives a third party account to put funds into whilst paperwork is being looked at. It protects buyer from losing money, shows developer client is serious. Escrow Agent or BANK has money in their account.

D

dave99

How often used

Simply gives a third party account to put funds into whilst paperwork is being looked at. It protects buyer from losing money, shows developer client is serious. Escrow Agent or BANK has money in their account.
How does the developer get the money.

How much does it cost to use Escro agent or Bank

Is it really needed if there is a staged payment plan over 1 to 2 years.

Does this not imply a serious lack of confidence in the Agent / Developer.

Is it this used very often in:
- Egypt
- other countries​

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

The cost depends on you arrangements with the escrow agent or bank. As a Developer it is for you to negotiate.
From the client's point of view it gives him confidence that his money is protected until he gets what he is paying for; the money is released in stages. If a Developer goes under the clients can prove what they have paid for to date.
Its not a question of trust it is prudent business practice which is common in countries which have no system of bank guarantees.

D

dave99

Is it common in Egypt

The cost depends on you arrangements with the escrow agent or bank. As a Developer it is for you to negotiate.
From the client's point of view it gives him confidence that his money is protected until he gets what he is paying for; the money is released in stages. If a Developer goes under the clients can prove what they have paid for to date.
Its not a question of trust it is prudent business practice which is common in countries which have no system of bank guarantees.
Is it common in Egypt to use Escrow ?

What sort of arrangement do you get with a "Bank Guarentee"

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

In Spain bank guarantees are common. There is usually a major bank financing the project and the 'bank guarantee' is like an insurance against anything going wrong with the project or the Developer.
I don't know if smaller Developers in Egypt use Escrow accounts; RA certainly do in Sahl.

D

dave99

Anyone using an Escrow agreement ?

Anyone using an Escrow agreement to buy a property in Egypt?

If so why ?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi all - I am bumping this thread as there have been a few queries recently regarding ESCROW accounts. I have merged the 2 threads together.

J

Jeremy Sturgess

Hi Mattw

Are you talking about any particular Developer? I have five properties with Resort Alliance in Sahl Hasheesh. All money with them is held by their trustees in Escrow until payments have to be made to the Developer. This way the Developer does not get any money until he signs off on each stage of the project; if he goes out of business or does not complete he does not get paid and RA find another Developer to finish the job. So far everything has been fine and the Developer has no problem building with his own cash and waiting for the money from Escrow when it is due.

Dear peter

Have you seen a copy of the escrow agreement that RA have for Sahl projects. Perhaps you would post it on the forum if you have a copy. I'm interested to see how its structured . Some ive seen are heavily weighted in favour of the developer anyway (as its him thats usually arranging it and i expect few clients actually read it) .

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Jeremy I am in Hurghada at the present and grabbing a short time in bars and restaurants to answer my emails. I have copies of RA contracts with the details of the escrow accounts and I will send you a copy when I get back to my office in Spain next week. Please let me have your email address.

Peter Mitry

S

Sveta and Sergio

hello,
we are new here. we are looking at buying a holiday home in hurghada we met with a couple developers about two moths ago. one asked of the companies asked us to send the deposit to the united kingdom. we asked a attourney that we met with in hurghada about this, and he said this is against egyptian law for a developer have money sent out of the country for a property being biult in egypt, and that the egyptian govermnent is starting to investigate anyone doping this, and to take all there property. has anyone else been asked to send any of there payments out of egypt. can anyone recomend a good honest develper company?
Thank you.
svetlana and sergio and two cats

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Hi Sveta & Sergio be very careful about advice given by Egyptian lawyers; many are incompetent and only after your money. The exception is most certainly our own forum lawyer, Zeiad Yehia from Sharm el Sheikh. Many members have used him and I am sure that he will offer you very good advice on this subject.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi you will get most recommending their developer to you. It is just as important to get a good honest lawyer who will act in your best interest. He will check out all the developers credentials for you. My recommendation is to see as many developments as possible and ask for the developers background - eg what other developments have they completed , have they finished on time etc.

S

Sveta and Sergio

Hi Sveta & Sergio be very careful about advice given by Egyptian lawyers; many are incompetent and only after your money. The exception is most certainly our own forum lawyer, Zeiad Yehia from Sharm el Sheikh. Many members have used him and I am sure that he will offer you very good advice on this subject.
thank you mr peter. i am happy for all advise. the lawyer did not ask for money from us. they just warned us about developments asking for our reservatuion fees or payments sent to another country other then egypt. i talked to one developer who said we would have to send the money to united kingdom. that is when the lawyer said this is against egypt laws. can you recomend good deveopers?
Thank you agaim peter

svetlana and sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.