Electricity and water tariffs as of Oct 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danny

I thought it would be an idea to publish the tariffs for residential electricity consumption as of October 2008 from "The Egyptian Electric Utility & Consumer Protection Regulatory Agency.

Also an average charge for a cubic meter of water which equates to 1000 litres.
Once you have digested the information I suggest that anyone who hasn't yet got a electricity or water meter do so as a matter of urgency.

I have a bill covering a winter month where I have used electric heaters, air con on warm setting, electric cooker, hob, kettle (which is on constantly),fans, lighting, laptop, tv (again on constantly) lighting and many other electrical appliances which equates to using 285kw.

The total charge for this was 32.6 le or £4.07.

Residential users (on monthly basis)
(These charges are piasters not pounds, there are 100 piasters in 1le)

1) The first 50 K.W.H per month 5.0
2) The next 51 to 200 K.W.H 11.0
3) The next201 to 350 K .W.H 16.0
4) The next 351 to 650 K.W.H 24.0
5) The next 651 to 1000 K.W.H 39.0
6) More than 1000 K.W.H 48.0

Alternatively use this link below for bill calculations

http://www.egyptera.com/en/Bill_Calculation.htm

Water Tariffs

The charges and fees are set centrally and they are almost the same all over Egypt. In certain areas they were raised after the reforms of 2005. But they are still low compared with other developing countries. In Cairo they were 29 piastres (about 5 US cents[23]) per m³ in 2008.

So that is less than 4p sterling for 1000 litres of water, that is a lot of showers and lot of pot washing.

Last edited:
Georgina

Georgina

Thanks for this Danny.

My electric bill for a one bedroom apartment in El Gouna for the month of April was LE67. I did not use the A/C but lights, TV, laptop, hot water.

My water bill was LE60 and the recycled waste water used to water the communial planting area for the apartments was LE2 for the month of April.

Called the plumber out yesterday to unblock my bathroom basin and he fitted a new section where the pipe enters the wall. Total cost LE25.

Glad I am living in El Gouna! When I hear about the annual maintenance charges in Hurghada, Sahl Hasheesh of anything up to GBP2,000 p.a. I cannot understand where all the money goes. It costs me GBP400 - 450 maximum for my total bills to live in El Gouna p.a. but I rarely use the A/C as I have windows on three sides and get a lovely breeze.

D

danny

Thanks for this Danny.

My electric bill for a one bedroom apartment in El Gouna for the month of April was LE67. I did not use the A/C but lights, TV, laptop, hot water.

My water bill was LE60 and the recycled waste water used to water the communial planting area for the apartments was LE2 for the month of April.

Called the plumber out yesterday to unblock my bathroom basin and he fitted a new section where the pipe enters the wall. Total cost LE25.

Glad I am living in El Gouna! When I hear about the annual maintenance charges in Hurghada, Sahl Hasheesh of anything up to GBP2,000 p.a. I cannot understand where all the money goes. It costs me GBP400 - 450 maximum for my total bills to live in El Gouna p.a. but I rarely use the A/C as I have windows on three sides and get a lovely breeze.

The reason I started this thread is to make owners aware of what the true costs of utilities are. I have a few friends who have recently recieved demands for upwards of £100 per month for empty apartments who are blatantly being ripped off by developers and management companies who are playing on their ignorance.
Looking at your costs they appear to be in line with mine at about £15 sterling a month, pennies in comparison to my friends.
I hope that anyone being charged such extortionate amounts keeps this calculator and demands to see a reading of their meters or uses our averages as an example if they do not have meters.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi we have elec and water meters fitted to each apartment but the developer sets the charge - water is18le per unit. Elec for 15 nights recently for 1 bed was 50le.

J

johnwayne

Banned
Hi we have elec and water meters fitted to each apartment but the developer sets the charge - water is18le per unit. Elec for 15 nights recently for 1 bed was 50le.
thanks queenie - is this what happens then, the developer sets the rate? has anyone else had any experience of this please?
To whom do you pay the bills to - the developer or the electric/water people?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi from what I can see yes it is norm for the developers to set the rates. We have a meter which is set to their rates. We have a pre payment one for the electric which we have a credit type card and we top up on site in the engineers office. Ref the water whenever I am out they normally knock and give me the bill to settle.

G

GM43

Banned
a bigger part of Hurghada receives water by trucks. Price of that water is much higher than the price mentioned above, I don't know the price exactly, but I think LE18 is normal.

D

danny

a bigger part of Hurghada receives water by trucks. Price of that water is much higher than the price mentioned above, I don't know the price exactly, but I think LE18 is normal.

The price for water originally quoted will no doubt be for mains and a charge of 18le for 15 days is not extortionate, never the less there are developers and management companies who are blatantly ripping off owners of apartments and the idea behind publishing the tariffs was so that owners have an indication of the true costs of utilities and therefore could challenge unfair demands.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Danny - the 18le charge for the water is not for 15 days but per unit x

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Danny think our unit is per cubic meter and only use about 1 per week if that and at the time I did send your attachment to the developer and board last year and didnt really get much response!

D

danny

Hi Danny think our unit is per cubic meter and only use about 1 per week if that and at the time I did send your attachment to the developer and board last year and didnt really get much response!
Maybe they thought that they didn't have much to respond to, at an average of £20 per month for utilities, it seems quite reasonable. My thread was aimed at other developers who are asking for £100 per month (whether occupied or empty) for apartments that have only been used for 2- 4 weeks in the past year.

U

um zineddine

water bill

hi everyone,
I am gald to find this tread, because i am desperate for a logical explaination, in five days of rentale, they charged me 320 egyptian money, saying that the people used 16 tones of water, what do you think about this?
thanks!!!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi have you got your own meter for your water? Alot of people on other resorts have found out that the workers can tap into their water supply. One I know filmed the gardeners tapping into his and watering everyone elses gardens! when he complained about it the manager just said dont worry just pay the bill and next month we will use one of your neighbours instead of yours!

N

nubianqueen

hi queenie

i did not know whether to laugh or cry in reading your post about the water meter!! i laughed, what can you say!!

nubianqueen

U

um zineddine

Hi have you got your own meter for your water? Alot of people on other resorts have found out that the workers can tap into their water supply. One I know filmed the gardeners tapping into his and watering everyone elses gardens! when he complained about it the manager just said dont worry just pay the bill and next month we will use one of your neighbours instead of yours!
Hi queenie,
tell me it is a joke, to tell you the truth i thought maybe they filled up our swimming pool from my water supply, you confirm my thought.
thanks

Last edited:
Georgina

Georgina

hi everyone,
I am gald to find this tread, because i am desperate for a logical explaination, in five days of rentale, they charged me 320 egyptian money, saying that the people used 16 tones of water, what do you think about this?
thanks!!!
My water bill for the whole month of August living here full time was LE72 which includes using about 10 litres per day on my enormous pot plants. My bill for irrigation water for the outside area for the month is LE2. And this is inflated prices for El Gouna.

D

dave99

Different Electric Trafiffs ???

Anyone know if there are different tarfiff / rates for use of electricity in Hurghada for different level of usage.

Is there anything like a standing monthy charge on top of usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.