El Gouna

P

propertastic

It's about the principle, not the money, crombiestone!

Actually, I'm still confused about the money because it all looks the same.

I thought that 50 piasters was 50p and offered him that and then threw a fit when he wouldn't accept it thinking he was trying to cheat me. I'm a pretty big guy and am probably a bit intimidating when I get in a bad temper and so he probably didn't dare charge me the foreigner rate.

I feel a bit guilty now!

crombiestone

crombiestone

It's about the principle, not the money, crombiestone!

Actually, I'm still confused about the money because it all looks the same.

I thought that 50 piasters was 50p and offered him that and then threw a fit when he wouldn't accept it thinking he was trying to cheat me. I'm a pretty big guy and am probably a bit intimidating when I get in a bad temper and so he probably didn't dare charge me the foreigner rate.

I feel a bit guilty now!
I didnt realise that you were not that familiar with Egypt.I'm sure you will get used to the money ;).

I am of the opinion that I am a visitor in a very different country . Egypt may be the wrong country for people with strong principles . Rest asured they aint going to change their culture for us . I'm not saying be a doormat, and if you have the energy then go for it ,but I find it much more relaxing not having a stand up argument every time I have to spend money .

You can also bet if you get into a dispute that involves the police they will side with the local and you will have to get your wallet out to bribe yourself out of the situation.

Making Egyptian friends will put things into perspective .Its a very social country and respect from you earns huge respect in return.

It does worry me that poeople who do not know the country are buying property without visiting . Things are VERY different in Egypt and to some extent you need to go with the flow to enjoy it and that will involve overpaying from time to time .

I'm not trying to talk people out of investing in Egypt . I love it . I just think people need to go in with their eyes open.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Getting around El Gouna

Hi all this is quite a good link that shows a map of El Gouna and details of transport.
City Map

crombiestone

crombiestone

5th El Gouna Run

The 5th annual El Gouna run will take place on Wednesday 20th February 10:00 am .

If you want to take part you can register at the El Gouna Info Centre from 12th-19th feb or on the Day from 8:00 am.

There are 10Km and 5Km runs and a 3Km walk

Shame I will miss it by 10 days :rolleyes:

G

Gawoli

hi guys,
does anyone know of any good websites for property thats for sale in elgouna or sahl hasheesh?:confused::confused:
Hi,

we will get our appartment in Lana Hills Sahl Hasheesh from Blue Heart Immobilien Ltd., that's an new agency especially for high quality or exceptional real estates or private resorts at the region Hurghada. They have exclusive contracts for Lana Hills and it is a competence network of the best and honest (don't smile) real estate experts in Germany, Austria and Swizerland.

The owner of Blue Heart is an expert for real estates in Germany since more than 25 years with his own company. He want to change his life in direction Egypt. The launch from Lana hill Sahl Hasheesh is the 20th of Feb. and they have also a lot of other interesting offers.... not a lot but exclusive. If I know they sell worldwide but the offers will be not complete at the end of Feb. I believe it was a "good will" from their side that we had the chance to choose our apartment so early, because we have bought in the former years 2 flats in Frankurt from the owner of Blue Heart.

I cannot promise something but try the website end of this month

Gawoli

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi,

we will get our appartment in Lana Hills Sahl Hasheesh from Blue Heart Immobilien Ltd., that's an new agency especially for high quality or exceptional real estates or private resorts at the region Hurghada. They have exclusive contracts for Lana Hills and it is a competence network of the best and honest (don't smile) real estate experts in Germany, Austria and Swizerland.

The owner of Blue Heart is an expert for real estates in Germany since more than 25 years with his own company. He want to change his life in direction Egypt. The launch from Lana hill Sahl Hasheesh is the 20th of Feb. and they have also a lot of other interesting offers.... not a lot but exclusive. If I know they sell worldwide but the offers will be not complete at the end of Feb. I believe it was a "good will" from their side that we had the chance to choose our apartment so early, because we have bought in the former years 2 flats in Frankurt from the owner of Blue Heart.

I cannot promise something but try the website end of this month

Gawoli
hi there isathread for lana hillsmay be beter to mention this there

S

SuziQ2708

My view on El Gouna

Well, I have returned, I'm sorry to say :( Had a lovely holiday in El Gouna and thought I'd do a write-up on it for any of you that are interested or purchasing in the area.

Downtown - Split in to two areas dvided by a water inlet with a lovely bridge to cross over. Both areas have a square in the centre and a variety of shops, restaurants and bars to choose from. Very pretty to the eye with its cobbled streets that are clear of litter, calm and peaceful. A pleasure to stroll around just browsing and stopping off for a coffee or Sakara. One area has a bazaar where you will experience some haggling, a small taste of 'real' Egypt. Live open-air shows take place on a regular basis during the evening. These can range from Beatles to Belly dancing.

Marina - Again, very clean and pretty to the eye. Various shops, bars and restaurants surrounding the marina with its luxury boats moored all the way around. The 'Duty Free' shop is also located here for purchases within 48 hours of arrival, don't forget your passport! If you venture up the little streets off the main strip you will find other delights such as 'Smugglers', a tiny traditional English bar with seating for approx. 10 people around the bar, where you can enjoy a drink whilst chatting with a few local English and Egyptian residents.

Both area's of El Gouna are bordering the 'Cosmopolitan' touch. Unlike any other area of Egypt I have visited and a complete contrast with its neighbouring Hurghada which is full of the hustle and bustle of Egyptian life. However, El Gouna does come at a price! Holidaymakers/visitors to this area will pay double (on average) for beverages and food, so come prepared!

Access to Downtown and Marina is very easy and convenient. A shuttle bus operates throughout the day/night every 20 minutes and costs just 20 LE (£2) for a weekly ticket with unlimited use. Tuctuc is another popular form of transport, you can travel anywhere in El Gouna for just 2 LE (20p) per person or 8 LE (80p) for up to three persons. Both are readily available at most of the hotels around the area, so just hop on and enjoy the ride :cool:

Georgina

Georgina

Any comments?!?

http://english.ahram.org.eg/~/NewsContent/3/12/13763/Business/Economy/Egypt-banks-eye-rights-of-Orascoms-tourism-develop.aspx

Egypt banks eye rights to Orascom's tourism developments

Banks ask the luxury developer to grant propriety rights in El Gouna as part of revised LE850m loan deals
Ahram Online, Monday 6 Jun 2011

Egyptian banks have asked Orascom Hotels & Development (ODH),a subsidiary of Orascom Development Holding, to revise the terms and conditions for its LE850 million of outstanding loans, Egyptian financial newspaper Al Mal reports.

Under the new terms, the banks will hold proprietary rights of OHD’s properties in El Gouna, a tourist development on the southern Red Sea coast.

The decision to revise the terms and conditions is reportedly driven by the currently reduced occupancy rates at El Gouna. The loan has a seven-year tenor, with an additional two years grace period.

A

Alan Cockayne

Banned
More fool Orascom Hotels and Developments for not paying off the loans when they could.

Banks feed off company crisis. Especially when they put them there in the beginning.
We see this all over Egypt, especially on residential developments. We call it Nationalisation. "Being under government control" was always their intentions.

Alan.

Georgina

Georgina

Well let's hope the banks are only interested in the 17 hotels, universities, hospital, schools, airport, shops and offices in El Gouna before they start on my little apartment!

A

Alan Cockayne

Banned
Hi Georgina.

Well, arn't we having fun? The cheats are getting caught and the recession is biting. The hypesters did not want to understand what was fundementally wrong with our industry and it took a revolution to open their eyes.

Trade will pick up, only if those that run this business sector start listening to International professionals instead of thinking they can do it all themselves, or they lose the $billions they heavilly rely on and so used to having.

Joint Stock companies will always face this sort of crisis. The parent company has the means to stop any downfall or bancruptcy. Especially Orascom Holdings.

Alan.

Last edited:
P

pastaboxer

Being a bit sensational arn't we? This is simply a loan restructuring it's unlikely to affect any individual owners.