Dubai Opera House

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flyhigh

Sheikh Mohammed announced today that Dubai will have its own opera house that will be build in the creek on an artificial island; the project includes 2 museums, and a hotel.
The design of the project is fantastic; maybe u will have the chance to see it later.

R

ronald

As far as I know Dubai (or the UAE) doesn't have an orchestra. It'll need one if it wants to build this. Opera and classical music in general is a worldwide thing, like football so I don't think there's anything major got to do with foreign culture attached to it. It would be like saying let's not build a football stadium since football doesn't come from out culture. DUBAI, in a city of 1.5m there should more than enough people who would go to concerts. Usually there's a membership and some people go every Friday night while others go now and again.

I get the feeling somehow that it'll rip off the Sydney one though.

Z

zane

I am not a fan of opera but I think there are many of them in Dubai , nevertheless, we should encourage more UAE culture to be introduced to tourists and citizens specially non-locals,
it reminds me of Bab al Shams Resort when we used to go there and when ever we come across tourists they start whispering each other and ask us if they can take some photos with us
Zabeel to build Dh2.1b Palm Jumeirah resort
By Saifur Rahman, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Zabeel Investments, a new entrant into the UAE's booming property market, will invest Dh2.1 billion in a new project Tiara Residence and Anantara Resort on the Palm Jumeirah island.

The Tiara Residence will consist of seven 15-storey buildings comprising 644 apartments ranging from 1,200 to 2,250 square feet and 14 penthouses.

Construction of the project, awarded to Malaysia's Peremba, has already started and is set for completion next year. Dar Al Handasah are the consultants for the project.

This is the company's first real estate venture and a number of new projects are in the pipeline.

Zabeel Investments is headed by its executive chairman Mohammad Ali Al Hashimi, who also heads Amlak Finance, a publicly listed mortgage company that will provide a maximum of 90 per cent finance for up to 25 years to prospective buyers at attractive rates, the company said in a release.

"Tiara Residence will redefine the essence of good living offering its tenants an island lifestyle in an exclusive environment. The Anantara Resort will be a distinctive destination epitomizing true elegance and style as well as offering the finest traditions of Asian hospitality," Al Hashimi said.

The project marks Thai hotel chain Anantara's entry into the Middle East.

The Anantara Resort Palm Jumeirah is a 244 room hotel that will be complemented by 132 furnished and serviced apartments. The Anantara Spa is the focal point of the resort and will provide a full range of eastern and western treatments and therapies.

"We have already signed up for another hotel with Zabeel Investments," William Heinecke, chairman, of the Minor Group, told Gulf News.

Bangkok-based Minor Group, which also own The Pizza Company, operates 15 hotels in Asia and seven under development.

Tiara Residence will be promoted at the International Property Week exhibition that opens on Tuesday. The three-day event closes on Thursday

R

raoufzdn

I find this news thrilling. I am an operatic baritone originally from Egypt, and I live, perform and teach in the USA. My special interest is with regard to the translation and performance of operas by Mozart in the Arabic language for audiences in the Middle East. In March I performed the role of Leporello in Don Giovanni at the Al Ain International Festival and was impressed by the level of interest, sophistication and enthusiasm of the audiences there. I had sung opera recitals in Abu Dhabi and Dubai the year before and was pleased with the interest and appreciation of the local audiences. I am interested to be part of a project to train and prepare singers for the purpose of creating a UAE national opera company with its home at this new opera house. I would love to hear from anyone who is interested in this subject.

Raouf Zaidan, baritone and voice professor (Northern State University, SD)
ARCM (London) MM and DMA (USA)

Status
Not open for further replies.