Dubai job - please evaluate offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stryf

I've been offered a sales position at a new real estate firm launching soon in Dubai.

I am from the US, and have work experience in real estate in India.

The offer is for 1000 GBP a month. Shared accommodation and transportation are included, and of course there will be a commission on sales.

Is this a feasible offer, or would I be silly to accept it?

My concern is as follows: from what I can tell by reading others' posts on this forum, 1000 GBP will not go a long way in Dubai. However, having accommodation and transportation provided should be worth quite a bit. Still, for food, mobile, hygiene, entertainment, and random expenses, 1000 GBP doesn't seem like it will go very far, especially considering the fact that the company is just launching and will have to build a name in the industry before commissions start rolling in. Therefore I will probably have to survive on my salary for a few months before I start getting any commission.

What are average prices for a month of groceries, and for a sales person's mobile phone?

Also, to those who are kind enough to respond, please tell me how long you have lived in Dubai, or if you are no longer there, how long you did live there and when you left.

Thanks a million!

J

jordandvdj

Well...

Would not even bother. That is rubbish unless commission doubles this.

Shared accomm is always dodgy and no car??

S

sasherwani2

Depends on your lifestyle. People in UAE spent 35-45% of their salaries on rent. You wont be having that problem. Also whats important is how far your accomodation is from your work. There is no reliable source of public transportation in Dubai and traffic is probably the worst in the world.

R

Roshan

I've been offered a sales position at a new real estate firm launching soon in Dubai.

I am from the US, and have work experience in real estate in India.

The offer is for 1000 GBP a month. Shared accommodation and transportation are included, and of course there will be a commission on sales.

Is this a feasible offer, or would I be silly to accept it?

My concern is as follows: from what I can tell by reading others' posts on this forum, 1000 GBP will not go a long way in Dubai. However, having accommodation and transportation provided should be worth quite a bit. Still, for food, mobile, hygiene, entertainment, and random expenses, 1000 GBP doesn't seem like it will go very far, especially considering the fact that the company is just launching and will have to build a name in the industry before commissions start rolling in. Therefore I will probably have to survive on my salary for a few months before I start getting any commission.

What are average prices for a month of groceries, and for a sales person's mobile phone?

Also, to those who are kind enough to respond, please tell me how long you have lived in Dubai, or if you are no longer there, how long you did live there and when you left.

Thanks a million!
You will be living off the edge with that kind of salary. Don't get tempted by commissions. Selling properties in Dubai is no longer easy and you might not be able to make much.

Mobile would usually be covered by the employer.

Shared acco : How many in one room. These questions need to be answered.

It's better to join an established company. What if this company does not do well and winds up. You have to look at those aspects as well.

completed 21 years and this is now my second home.

Regards

Roshan

Status
Not open for further replies.