Dubai International City Smells Awful!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

georgihh

Hi Friends,

I think we have a big problem with international city that could cause its price to plunge if it is not fixed which is the foul smell that creeps on the international city project everynight from the Sewage treatment facility nearby.

The bad thing is that Dubai Municipality is not planning to shut this treatment facility down. Worse, there are plans to expand the treatment facility to recieve more sewage water!!!

it really smells like s*it almost everynight depending on wind direction I
guess!!!

did you hear what i said? It smells like s*it!!

Any Solution?????

i can not stand the smell of Fecis in my nose and on my clothes!!

sorry for that, i guess it is a taboo to talk about it but i wanted to open the subject for discussion.
Dubai Municipality (in this case Nakheel) is not only planning to extend these treatment facilities, but they keep on building smaller once inside International city. They built one next to Morocco and one next to Russia; I won’t be surprised if they built one where lost city is supposes to be in the Heart of the city.
Instead of developing the community they build sewage plants.
I think the name of International city is wrong should be The Smelly city.
And what really pissing me off is that we keep on paying ridicules service charges, just to smell more and more ****.
And looks like - no way out – no body is asking us, they just want money.
I suggest we stop paying and find a proper management company which will look after the people leaving in International city.

P

psynath

Hi,
Have read thru the whole thread but do not see much complaints about the CBD location at Intl city.
Can u guys tell me what 's the scene out there? how bad is ithe smell in CBD ??

G

georgihh

Hi,
Have read thru the whole thread but do not see much complaints about the CBD location at Intl city.
Can u guys tell me what 's the scene out there? how bad is ithe smell in CBD ??
just as bad

D

dubaimum

thinking of moving to international city

Hi Guys,

Firstly let me thank you'll for starting this thread and highlighting the unsaid / unspoken problems of IC..
I would require your views on purchasing a flat at the CBD area of intl' city.. I am plannin to buy at the " royal residence " or " lady ratan manor" bldgs at CBD..
Can anyone tell me on the smell situation there ??? Would appreciate your views as this will enable me to decide on whether I should buy a flat here or look at other options???

Thanks in advance,
Sai.
Hi my son is moving to dubai in april and will be renting to start with although his long term plan is to buy and has been looking at International City. We heard it was a bit smelly but it seems to be a lot more than that. I don't want to put him off but on the other hand I don't want him to commit to a year's rent and hate it there. Any advice

F

farooki

Hi my son is moving to dubai in april and will be renting to start with although his long term plan is to buy and has been looking at International City. We heard it was a bit smelly but it seems to be a lot more than that. I don't want to put him off but on the other hand I don't want him to commit to a year's rent and hate it there. Any advice

I would recommend him to first come to International City, move around, visit it again at night time. If he sense any smell tell him to leave this option and if he doesn't then he should opt for it.

A

appeland

Thank you

Hello,
thanks for the info, I was about to invest in the International City but if it stinks there is no point, rental will be impossible.
regards,
Andi

G

georgihh

Hi,
just a note if any readers are thinking of investing in IC, I would be very careful which agent to use in the UK. Unfortunately through my own misfortune I originally bought a 1 bed in Mor 19 and when I got the Nakeel contract through it was only for a large studio. Not what I booked and paid for. When I tried to seek a refund of the difference in price, from the agent in Manchester he offered a third of what I over paid him and now have to go through the courts to seek the rest. If anybody would like to know more info please post a reply.
Also surely Nakeel are aware of the smell and have made a suggestion to improve the matter??

Thanks
Oh yes Nakheel are aware of the problem and they are building new cluster next to the sewage plant to protect the other cluster. Constriction is in progress and in couple of months Morocco will be well shielded from the horrible smell.

A

Anees

I have a studio apartment in International city cluster Spain, which I would like to rent out but our agents are playing game. Is there anyway I can check whether some one is occupied in the apartment or not I live in USA and can not visit frequently. Please help/advice.

G

georgihh

Finally

Finally some good news for all the people living in international city.
Nakheel will build a new cluster named Emirates.

Emirates cluster is overlooking the sewage plant and is just next to the horrible monster.
Once is build the cluster will serve as a shield form the horrible smell to the rest of the international city clusters.

F

farrka

I have a studio apartment in International city cluster Spain, which I would like to rent out but our agents are playing game. Is there anyway I can check whether some one is occupied in the apartment or not I live in USA and can not visit frequently. Please help/advice.
Hi Anees

Let me know what building number and your apartment number is and I can check if anyone is there if you like. I live in International City in Spain.

G

Gaurav Gupta

Hi Anees

Let me know what building number and your apartment number is and I can check if anyone is there if you like. I live in International City in Spain.
Farrka... what is your experience about smell in Spain? Greece? Persia? CBD?

G

Gashead

Finally some good news for all the people living in international city.
Nakheel will build a new cluster named Emirates.

Emirates cluster is overlooking the sewage plant and is just next to the horrible monster.
Once is build the cluster will serve as a shield form the horrible smell to the rest of the international city clusters.
You win.

That's the most ridiculous thread I've read on this web site. ;)

K

kully sanghera

Hi all,
I have just got back from dubai, and i visited i/city 3/4 times last month, & i spoke to lots of residents / workers, and the smell issue was a problem in the china section ( in the evening ) and i was told by the workers that persia section is NOT affected 100%, but you do get the odd whiff, england,france,spain,italy have got NO smells whatsoever i was told, i did not notice any smells whilst in china section anyway, and it's all rented out anyway!, i/city is so busy now, it seems thats its always been there!, most of the car parks in china/persia were nearly full, theres plenty of grass/trees being laid/planted in every section, its all looking great! Dragonmart sells everything from cheap (copy) mobile phones ,to i-pods & all house furniture,furnishing for your apartments, a nice day out!

D

dalvir bains

There's nowhere to shop, say International City residents

Dubai: Residents of International City are upset by the lack of shops and medical services in the area.

This comes after Gulf News reported last week that residents complained about the traffic and access problems, the lack of signage and the smell of waste water from the nearby Al Aweer sewage plant.

Other issues raised by International City residents in recent days are the lack of shops and facilities.

British-Egyptian A.H. moved to the Spain cluster last month: "My local supermarket is really expensive. I think they know that we can't go anywhere else and there's no competition nearby."

"Things like doctors, forget about it. There are no doctors here," he said.

Local business owner A.S., an Iranian, called an ambulance after his friend had a domestic accident.

"I had to call the emergency services after my friend had an accident, because there's no immediate medical assistance in the area. There aren't even any pharmacies."

Filipino resident W.T. said he leaves International City to do his shopping, because "it's too expensive to buy inside the development".

Another issue still proving to be a bone of contention for residents is the traffic situation.

J.H. a secretary from the UK, said: "Big trucks pull up on the side of the road by the main entrance, making cars drive across two lanes to get in, it's very dangerous.

"I want to know whey there's only one lane leading to the main part of International City."

A spokesperson at the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) said road development projects in the area surrounding International City are on the cards and there will be more roads linking the area with Emirates Road and the Dubai Bypass Road.

Gulf News also received more complaints about the smell. W.T., a Filipino, has been living in International City's Spain cluster for the past three months.

"My daughter is two years old and is supposed to be coming to live with me soon.

"However, I feel it's not healthy to let a two-year-old live in this place, it smells. I was told I would enjoy the community lifestyle, but I don't see anything like that here."

A Dubai Municipality official said there are plans to move the sewage treatment plant, which is currently in Al Aweer. But he did not say when.

Developer's Response

'Vibrant community'

Rashid Al Helli, General Manager of International City, a Nakheel development, responded to the complaints of some residents.

"International City is fast establishing itself as a vibrant community, providing much needed affordable living with excellent facilities for a broad range of people in Dubai. We are delighted with the progress to date and more than 50,000 people have moved into their new homes; facilities are continuously being being made available, landscaping is well underway, and community events are held regularly.

"As this community develops further, International City will continue to provide a diverse range of commercial and retail offerings for residents. In total, there will be more than 5,000 retail units, with each building in the residential district offering a variety of retail and dining outlets.

"International City continues to be an enormous draw for people in search of quality housing at an affordable price, which was demonstrated by the sales success of the Emirates precinct recently."
(Gulfnews)

G

Gashead

Just came back from Dubai and visiting International City. I went during the day twice and didn't smell anything in any of the sectors.
However on the last night I purposely went there around midnight. Around that time there was an awful smell like burning rubbish, which was very strong around Greece and parts of Persia. In fact when I went to Greece I could see huge flames coming from a plant some distance away where they may have been burning rubbish? I talked to one of the night watchmen and he said that there is a smell around 4am when they clean out the rubbish plant. I'm not sure whether this means there is smell from rubbish burning as well as sewage?
The good news for me was that the smell didn't go as far as Spain (where I have an apartment),and the night watchman said you cannot ever smell anything in Spain. I noticed that Italy and China also didn't smell and some other parts that I couldn't identify.
The flames you saw is the methanol being burned off at the sewage plant. There isn't a 'rubbish plant' and a lot of the smell comes from the nearby labour camp.

It doesn't really matter which cluster does and doesn't smell, the damage has already been done.

G

Gashead

There's nowhere to shop, say International City residents

Dubai: Residents of International City are upset by the lack of shops and medical services in the area.

This comes after Gulf News reported last week that residents complained about the traffic and access problems, the lack of signage and the smell of waste water from the nearby Al Aweer sewage plant.

Other issues raised by International City residents in recent days are the lack of shops and facilities.

British-Egyptian A.H. moved to the Spain cluster last month: "My local supermarket is really expensive. I think they know that we can't go anywhere else and there's no competition nearby."

"Things like doctors, forget about it. There are no doctors here," he said.

Local business owner A.S., an Iranian, called an ambulance after his friend had a domestic accident.

"I had to call the emergency services after my friend had an accident, because there's no immediate medical assistance in the area. There aren't even any pharmacies."

Filipino resident W.T. said he leaves International City to do his shopping, because "it's too expensive to buy inside the development".

Another issue still proving to be a bone of contention for residents is the traffic situation.

J.H. a secretary from the UK, said: "Big trucks pull up on the side of the road by the main entrance, making cars drive across two lanes to get in, it's very dangerous.

"I want to know whey there's only one lane leading to the main part of International City."

A spokesperson at the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) said road development projects in the area surrounding International City are on the cards and there will be more roads linking the area with Emirates Road and the Dubai Bypass Road.

Gulf News also received more complaints about the smell. W.T., a Filipino, has been living in International City's Spain cluster for the past three months.

"My daughter is two years old and is supposed to be coming to live with me soon.

"However, I feel it's not healthy to let a two-year-old live in this place, it smells. I was told I would enjoy the community lifestyle, but I don't see anything like that here."

A Dubai Municipality official said there are plans to move the sewage treatment plant, which is currently in Al Aweer. But he did not say when.

Developer's Response

'Vibrant community'

Rashid Al Helli, General Manager of International City, a Nakheel development, responded to the complaints of some residents.

"International City is fast establishing itself as a vibrant community, providing much needed affordable living with excellent facilities for a broad range of people in Dubai. We are delighted with the progress to date and more than 50,000 people have moved into their new homes; facilities are continuously being being made available, landscaping is well underway, and community events are held regularly.

"As this community develops further, International City will continue to provide a diverse range of commercial and retail offerings for residents. In total, there will be more than 5,000 retail units, with each building in the residential district offering a variety of retail and dining outlets.

"International City continues to be an enormous draw for people in search of quality housing at an affordable price, which was demonstrated by the sales success of the Emirates precinct recently."
(Gulfnews)
There's nowhere to shop because the occupants are low income and retailers aren't interested in taking up units and never will be.

C

cacrus

Stench inside apartments

I have complained multiple times to Nakheel , about the smell coming inside my apartment whenever there is smell outside .

I am currently working with them to resolve this issue.

They are thinking the smell is coming from the small treatment plants next to england and other clusters , but they are decommissioning them ,and putting a pipe line to connect it to main municipality line (sewarage plant).

I am not very much hopeful of this , however i have seen the pipeline work in progress.

Stench issue is worsen by these smaller treatment plants , but the main plant also emanates stench .

If Nakheel could not fix the smell coming into my apartment , than there is no way ANYONE can/should live in this condition.

I will have no option but to vacate the apartment.

I would urge everyone facing this issue to complain Nakheel , as once the first year is over who knows how they will respond to your complain .

H

helen

Hi all,
I have just got back from dubai, and i visited i/city 3/4 times last month, & i spoke to lots of residents / workers, and the smell issue was a problem in the china section ( in the evening ) and i was told by the workers that persia section is NOT affected 100%, but you do get the odd whiff, england,france,spain,italy have got NO smells whatsoever i was told, i did not notice any smells whilst in china section anyway, and it's all rented out anyway!, i/city is so busy now, it seems thats its always been there!, most of the car parks in china/persia were nearly full, theres plenty of grass/trees being laid/planted in every section, its all looking great! Dragonmart sells everything from cheap (copy) mobile phones ,to i-pods & all house furniture,furnishing for your apartments, a nice day out!
Well, first of all I should say that I am so sorry to read this post from a Senior Member of the Forum! Smell is everywhere and is a real disaster. If you visit any cluster in those smelly nights, which is not every night though, you will see that EVERY CLUSTER has its own share. Nobody is left imune. You should go there about 3 am to check on the smell and not before 9-10 pm for sure. Smell is a seroius problem, but many of us are stuck in IC because we have already paid the rent ahead. LIVING IN IC FOR MANY TENATS HAS BEEN A HUGE MISTAKE AND IT HAPENED BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF INFO. OR JUST SIMPLY NOT BELIEVING IN IT!

Good luck,
Helen

K

kully sanghera

Hi helen,
First of all I am a regular visitor / investor in dubai, and if you read my post properly , I have spoken to residents / indian workers ( who are also residents! ) and i posted MY opinion , as i spend a lot of time in dubai, I have NEVER noticed ANY smells in I/CITY in china ( but the workers / residents HAVE! ) READ MY POST AGAIN!! , you say every cluster is affected! i have units & none of my tenants have complained ! what building are you in?

H

helen

Well, first of all I should say that I am so sorry to read this post from a Senior Member of the Forum! Smell is everywhere and is a real disaster. If you visit any cluster in those smelly nights, which is not every night though, you will see that EVERY CLUSTER has its own share. Nobody is left imune. You should go there about 3 am to check on the smell and not before 9-10 pm for sure. Smell is a seroius problem, but many of us are stuck in IC because we have already paid the rent ahead. LIVING IN IC FOR MANY TENATS HAS BEEN A HUGE MISTAKE AND IT HAPENED BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF INFO. OR JUST SIMPLY NOT BELIEVING IN IT!

Good luck,
Helen
kully sanghera,

I am sorry if there has been any misunderstanding. However, I am quite sure that is just YOUR opinion as a NON_RESIDENT but a VISITOR/ INVESTOR. Here is the point. The witness for the truth of my quote is the whole thread and the pure motive for your denial of smell is all your investment in IC!!!!I would like to summarize my points mentioned in my last quote about the smell affected the IC.

1- Where? If you visit any cluster in those smelly nights, which is not every night though, you will see that EVERY CLUSTER has its own share.

2-When?You should go there about 3 am to check on the smell and not before 9-10 pm for sure.

3- Why all the IC is still full? many of us are stuck in IC because we have already paid the rent ahead. LIVING IN IC FOR MANY TENANTS HAS BEEN A HUGE MISTAKE AND IT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF INFO. OR JUST SIMPLY NOT BELIEVING IN IT!

Good luck,
Helen

Status
Not open for further replies.