Dubai International City Smells Awful!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blue_sky

I have been to International City (Moroco) many times , never smelt anything

A

Abi

I own a flat in CBD part of International City. The bad smell is awful, even though it does not happen all the time. How can it be proved that it is not harmful to the health of the people? This issue is not really in line with the image that Dubai is trying to show to the rest of the world. They'd better do something about it.

V

vishal73

I too moved into my apt. in England,IC and yesterday evening there was a bad smell and even it was there in the morning. You felt some heaviness in the air and I fear that its' even harmful to the health also.

I own a flat in CBD part of International City. The bad smell is awful, even though it does not happen all the time. How can it be proved that it is not harmful to the health of the people? This issue is not really in line with the image that Dubai is trying to show to the rest of the world. They'd better do something about it.

C

cacrus

I agree the smell is there , and its worst in if you move away from england block towards emirates road.

G

Ginger

it is so bad people who do not live there can not even imagine!

Me and my husband – we rent in International City Persia, and last Thursday night 4 AM we were awoken by the terrible smell of burnt spoilt flesh (as it seemed to me),and in a matter of minutes I was all shivering and felt like throwing up. We thought of leaving the place to anywhere - immediately, but it was obvious that I wouldn’t make it till the car. It was that bad. Moreover, it was a smoke, a definite burnt smell, so it is hundred percent harmful to health.
My husband has been having severe migraines for the last month because of the constant night drain smell, as we returned from the vacation. It wasn’t that bad when we moved in but now it became unbearable. The landlord has refused to refund us upon immediate moving out, and Nakheel suggested that we keep patient till we get the new drain factory somewhere very far and this one will be closed… It is impossible to stay there any longer, and we live at our friend’s right now.

K

ksu-joe

Hi, all,
when me and my feonce were coming to IC to see apartment we never smell anything and when my colleague (who stays in china) told me it smells a big time I didn't really believe how bad it could be.
We moved to Morocco and here you go the first evening smells as if you are in the middle of the s**t. And twice or 3 times a week it's a norm.
For the summer time it wasn't a big issue as inside the apartment smell never comes but I'm thinking about oct and nov when you wanna be outside, to have barbeque on the balcony...

I guess other clusters are not suffering as much as Morocco as it's the closest to "s**t factory...

I've also heard that they are intended to solve this and I can not wait when it'll happen as I love the location of IC as well as my apartment and don't want to move out at all.

Please post if you'll have any updated in the above problem.

Thanks

K

ksu-joe

also an advise for neighbours - if you do have a smell inside of the apartment - put your ac on inside circling and buy aroma candles. It really helps :)

G

Ginger

The funny thing is that say in Italy or elsewhere further to Emirates rd it doesn't really smell, it is only the wind that reaches Persia and everybody closer (like Morocco, Thailand, Indonesia and China). England is involved too - a little bit as far as I know.

I think the wind might change in the nearest future because of weather getting colder so there is some small hope that it will get better.
I really like the place too, only smell makes it the worst.

How do you put the AC on internal circulation, which of the buttons is that? :)

D

dadruid

Even i would luv to know Ksu-joe, how do v put the AC on internal circulation??? I live in China cluster and yes we join the cursed group, its the worst in and around our cluster. But i guess we can only wait for things to be sorted as i rented it out from nakheel and at this price there is nothing available in Dubai. Some visitors keep pointing out that there isn't any smell. They should know, it doesnt smell always and perhaps u were lucky that u were not present when it does smell. Take the opinion of people who are living there and don't go by what u feel during your short visits!!!

K

ksu-joe

Even i would luv to know Ksu-joe, how do v put the AC on internal circulation??? I live in China cluster and yes we join the cursed group, its the worst in and around our cluster. But i guess we can only wait for things to be sorted as i rented it out from nakheel and at this price there is nothing available in Dubai. Some visitors keep pointing out that there isn't any smell. They should know, it doesnt smell always and perhaps u were lucky that u were not present when it does smell. Take the opinion of people who are living there and don't go by what u feel during your short visits!!!

Hi, guys,
AC circling inside of the apartment when you press the button - third from left side and press it several times until (the options will keep changing) you'll see a circle in the ac small window on the right side.

I don't know if you can see from the pic below. Hope it'll work out for you...

Cheers

Attachments

V

vishal73

Hi,

I dont know about others. But in my apartment this is not the type of A/C Thermostat that they have used. Even I have seen many apts but didn't seen that kind of thermostat.

Anyway, Joe In which cluster R U staying?

D

dadruid

Yes, even our cluster, the panel is a bit different. Dunno if its just in our area, or the whole of IC, but this smell has been perpetual for the past week or so. Its getting unbearable these days and i wonder how v r going to survive this winter. Is there something all v people in this forum can do?? Am going 2 send letters to 7 days (i know lots of such letters have been sent previously) and appeal to the govt to help us. Hope something happens!!!!

G

Ginger

I have called Nakheel, they said there isn't anything they can do right now, it is an old issue, and the factory is being transferred, and the new one is in the final stage of completion...

But in the meantime, what r we gonna all do! Shall we make a list and all sign up and go to Municipality (I know people did that before with no result!)? Shall we all put our signatures on your letter to 7Days? It's not the first time 7 days writes about it...

What amazes me the most that in a country where everything grows so fast they cannot transfer the plant for quite a long time. Noone is interested?

Another question: why does it smell only in the evenings or nighttime? Is is specially done for all those authorities coming to inspect not to notice anything? Is it for those poor people renting and buying in IC so they realize they've been deceived later on? Thats what happened with me...

Maybe we can somehow unite together and do something.
Suggestions?

K

ksu-joe

I have called Nakheel, they said there isn't anything they can do right now, it is an old issue, and the factory is being transferred, and the new one is in the final stage of completion...

But in the meantime, what r we gonna all do! Shall we make a list and all sign up and go to Municipality (I know people did that before with no result!)? Shall we all put our signatures on your letter to 7Days? It's not the first time 7 days writes about it...

What amazes me the most that in a country where everything grows so fast they cannot transfer the plant for quite a long time. Noone is interested?

Another question: why does it smell only in the evenings or nighttime? Is is specially done for all those authorities coming to inspect not to notice anything? Is it for those poor people renting and buying in IC so they realize they've been deceived later on? Thats what happened with me...

Maybe we can somehow unite together and do something.
Suggestions?

Did they said the date when they'll relocated that SF?

I also can not understand one thing - what all that garbage can not be covered, they definatelly could use cables and not to keep it open just 1 km distance from residential community...

The last 4 days (especially weekend) that's just imposible.

BTW who said it's not bad for health? It's poisoned air!

W

wayneis

Your correct the media have all run articles, examples on page one of this thread from Gulf News and page 2 of this thread from Emirates Today paper.

Keeping the topic in the media is one stratergy as Nakheel have not given this issue a high priority evidenced by the facts that this problem has been known for many years and more so at the development stage!

K

ksu-joe

Hi, guys,

Well, I called today to Nakheel and spoke to one of their castomer care executives...
First he pretended that he does not know about the smell than said that yea they recieved complains about that and that munisipality is planning to reallocated the SF somewhere towards jebel Ali (so they'll have fun in there:))
He said it'll take "a couple of years" as it's a big SF.

So now at least we know that it's not going to happen soon...

I have an idea, it's not the best one but still if we could get the exact hours when SF start smell then at least it's possible to plan when to be at home or to go somewhere on Jumaira beach...let's say to be prepared.

Any Idea how we could get that info?

Cheers

M

Mikeyv

Dubai

I Love dubai, i hope everyone who has property thier reaps the rewards

G

Ginger

I wrote to 7 Days. There is nothing there yet. If you receive this newpaper regularly, please inform me if it'd be published - I don't receive it myself.
Mr. Ksu-Joe, thanks for your advice, it is a little better now with internal circulation.

As you noticed, the smell comes in the evenings, yesterday it was about 9ish PM for instance. There is another time - 3.30-4 AM too. I think it has something to do with the earth getting cooler so the direction of wind changes...

K

ksu-joe

I wrote to 7 Days. There is nothing there yet. If you receive this newpaper regularly, please inform me if it'd be published - I don't receive it myself.
Mr. Ksu-Joe, thanks for your advice, it is a little better now with internal circulation.

As you noticed, the smell comes in the evenings, yesterday it was about 9ish PM for instance. There is another time - 3.30-4 AM too. I think it has something to do with the earth getting cooler so the direction of wind changes...
You know Ginger, I think it depends more on the cleaning stages insite the Plant then from the wind.

I recently read the article which describes the those stages. See below:

Plant/Process Description:
First stage is mechanical treatment which consists of seven screens followed by grit removal. Pre-aeration tanks and then the primary settling tanks. The effluent then passes through the aeration tanks where only BOD is removed. The ammonia is treated with biological filters followed by the tertiary settling tanks. After sand filters the effluent is chlorinated and supplied to the city for horticulture irrigation. The primary and the biological stage sludge is thickened with polymer and fed to the anaerobic digesters. The anaerobically digested sludge is dewatered with centrifuges and sent for thermal drying and windrow drying. The dried product is used for horticulture by the city and the general public.

So I guess depending on the cleaning procedures the smell type is changing as well as the strength of it.

I wrote an email to people in there yesterday to get the "smelly hours" .

I just wanna get an idea and then to find the solution...as I'm sick and tired it.

I'll check 7 days today and let you know.

Cheers

B

Barman

I'm dealing with construction. On last Thursday I went to a company in Jebel Ali to demonstrate our program. It was a large area full of nothing but some machines did excavation. I asked the guy about their project. He replied this will be a sewage treatment plant!! I was interested about duration of job to be complete. The guy : 3 years!!!! And according to my experience when a contractor says 3 years you must know not sooner than 5 years!!
I'm surprised. They didn't do any thing so far and they say it's in final stages!
It used to be 1 or 2 nights at night but for the past 2 weeks every night we have this problem starting at about 10 PM till 3 or 4 AM.
I bought some piece of woods called OUD in Arabic, when you burn them they give some good smells. You can find them in Careefur in Shishah segment. But they are not recommended for people have migrane.

Status
Not open for further replies.