Dubai International City Smells Awful!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sahar

It is not the question of which clusters recieve the smell or not...

I dont think it is really good for IC to have this problem at all.It makes me laugh while I read people saying that they are lucky to have bought a flat in a certain cluster and they dont smell anything bad.The IC project has suffered as a whole,clusters are not only for the owners to enjoy,people from diffrent clusters (and from outside) come to enjoy each others shops,restaurants and architecture.So please consider the problem in a more logical way,it is not a certain cluster's problem but the IC as a whole.

T

tbashir

Hey let me at least be happy that if I was to stay in my apartment or walk around it I don't have worry about feeling sick due to the smell.

I am of course aware that the smell will still effect me because it is not good for International City as a whole. Also, I would still complain or participate with other residents in trying to get the smell removed for all of International City.

What more logical "way" do you suggest Sahar?

sahar said:
I dont think it is really good for IC to have this problem at all.It makes me laugh while I read people saying that they are lucky to have bought a flat in a certain cluster and they dont smell anything bad.The IC project has suffered as a whole,clusters are not only for the owners to enjoy,people from diffrent clusters (and from outside) come to enjoy each others shops,restaurants and architecture.So please consider the problem in a more logical way,it is not a certain cluster's problem but the IC as a whole.

D

dadruid

Guys,
I live in china cluster. It stinks quite badly here. The only relief is, its not everyday. But the days it does, v need 2 run from my parked car 2 the appartment as its very bad. Forget evening walks or gettin some air on those days. I am not sure where i need 2 go complian. Though i haven't bought this place and am on rent only, i wud still be glad 2 fight with others 2 get this sorted. Yes, wat is unbelievable is that Nakheel could have addressed it much earlier as am sure its not a new problem. They seem 2 b only keen in building and selling/renting away flats.

L

lancashire lad

i have just been browsing on various dubai sites(cronic insomnia) and came across this one,i noticed this thread re:- smell from the sewage treatment plant on international city,anyway i thought i would share my expierence with you.

our company set up a branch in dubai some 4 years ago,we have a factory on the ras al kor industrial estate ,i go out there twice a year and have always stayed in hotels in bur dubai or deira,but because of high costs of hotels now and travelling during rush hour from the city ,and no hotels outside the city, we rented an apartment in international city for one month for our stay in april this year,this was a tester to see how it would work and because the purchase costs were cheap by dubai standards we chose international city,it was our intention to purchase the apartment.
i am not sure which sector it was in but, if you came off the hatta road and drove around the one way road system to the back of the dragon market and carry on round the roundabout and back in the hatta direction there are some new warehouses about 500 meters from the dragon market itself the apartment was just off the main perimitter road here.
the smell from the sewage treatment plant was awful every night,even if we kept the windows closed the smell was always in all the lobby and public areas,the worst thing though was,we are engineers actually working and therfore used the apartments washing machine to was clothes and hung them on the balcony to dry,this was the problem our clothes stank to high heaven it was really bad during all of our stay, to this effect we have decided against purchase here and are now buying a house in mirdif instead,the other thing that struck me about it was when 60,000 + people move in here it will become a slum for migrant workers and resale values will suffer accordingly.

i hope my little input helps you.

B

Barman

It exactly deponds on wind direction

Hi guys, it's really awful, It was better for some time and now it started again these nights as the wind direction has been changed. You think we can not do anything? There should be some where to go and complain. What do you think?

B

Barman

It's not only in China

I went out right now and checked all the clusters. This ...it smell covers all the clusters. But China and Morocco are worst as they are closer to the treatment center.

D

daredevil

What can we all do ?

I have been worried about this issue since a long time, and I have visited Nekheel's office several times complaining about the odor, (Nakheel owns the sewage plant and not Dubai Municipality, this is what I was informed from Nakheel),they have said that either they will move or treat it by the end of the year (2007).

I would like to ask you all, what can we do till then ? How can we resolve this issue ? By complaining to the media we are doing more harm than good as it is damaging the image of IC.... seems like we are in a catch 22 situation ... or are we ?

I

ian131

I can't see them moving it, I just hope they treat it:rolleyes:

You would have liked to think that they would have thought of it in the planning stages if they own both sites:mad:

W

wayneis

The Dubai Municipality own and run the Sewage treatment plant at Al Aweer NOT Nakheel

(Nakheel owns the sewage plant and not Dubai Municipality, this is what I was informed from Nakheel),they have said that either they will move or treat it by the end of the year (2007).
The Dubai Municipality own and run the Sewage treatment plant at Al Aweer NOT Nakheel

Website link information here

I rang the Sewage Treatment plant directly Phone 333-0434 who confirmed the above.

2007 link here where https://portal.dm.gov.ae/http://vgn.dm.gov.ae/DMEGOV/dm-mp-content/0,1315,,00.html?articleid=4047
Dubai Municipality in March 2007 signed an agreement with Al Serkal Group to build and operate a waste treatment plant at Al Aweer.

The Al Serkal Group will build and operate the facility, Dubai Municipality through its departments of Drainage & Irrigation and Environment will implement rules and regulations, supervise all operations and play an active role in implementing and adhering to safety policies.

Still waiting for a response from the Al Serkal Group who promised to provide further information.

Last edited:
D

Digitalchaos

I think the best way to fight this problem is for those who owns the appartments to go and complain to nakheel we need to keep on NAGGING!! this is the only way i can see nething happening, me as a person who is just renting an appartment , I will go to my landlord and tell him to Talk to nakheel about it, all im gonna ask him to do is to complain!! coz they wont take my word for it seriously since i dont own the place.

B

Barman

I think complaining to media has more effect,,, don worry about the price of IC, if we dont fight they don care,

G

Gaurav Gupta

Is it really such a big issue for the whole IC or its restricted mainly only to Morocco and China. Can somebody give some sincere idea of this, bcoz I have not noticed any smell whenever I have visited except once that too when I was in China. At least never smelt anything in CBD. I feel there is some kind of over reaction among people in this forum. Somebody plz throw some light on gravity of this problem in Persia, Greece and France.

H

Howsbuya

Is it really such a big issue for the whole IC or its restricted mainly only to Morocco and China. Can somebody give some sincere idea of this, bcoz I have not noticed any smell whenever I have visited except once that too when I was in China. At least never smelt anything in CBD. I feel there is some kind of over reaction among people in this forum. Somebody plz throw some light on gravity of this problem in Persia, Greece and France.
Hi there
I was in Dragon Mart last weekend. No smell - and I have never ever smelt a smell there. Anyway, we were buying some items and my wife was chatting to the sales guy (she is Chinese) and I asked her to ask the guy if he was living there and if there was a smell.
He said there used to be a smell - maybe 1 day a week - but now it had gone. He said they had done something in the sewerage plant and now no more smell.
This is from a resident - and just 1 man's testimony and just passing it on.
Howbuya
PS Prices ar:)e rising

V

vishal73

I have been there many times in the evening to see my flat in England. I also never smelt anything.

G

Gaurav Gupta

Frankly I really don't see a problem and I would suggest people to talk to more and more residents from all areas of IC for feedback on this subject and post them here to share with all.

W

wayneis

Went to Dragon mart this evening and while driving on the road next to China section which faces on to the yet to be built Forbidden City wound the window down and guys the stink is there thats for sure . End of the road near the round about where the high rise start just before England Section and no smell. Wind conditions calm.

C

cacrus

Same here ,
I have been to International City many times , specially England block , never smelt anything .

N

nadeemiqbal1

I went to Iternational city a couple of times but did not smell anything. There are swerage dumps in every colony.

C

chiezelle

We are planning on buying a two bedroom in International City and what worries me is the smell I keep hearing about...luckily, having read this forum, there are many who say it's not as bad as it seems...we will have to still consider IC because it's within our budget... fingers crossed...hopefully we can handle any foul smell...depending on the direction of the wind they say...

Status
Not open for further replies.