Drinking & driving in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
debzor

debzor

I think I am right in saying that Serra, ES is a hotbed of organised crime?

debzor

debzor

How on earth could you take this article seriously ?
I merely said it was an interesting read, and offered it up for discussion as it had been forwarded to me. Now I seriously doubt the wisdom of my decision!

M

Mineiro

I merely said it was an interesting read, and offered it up for discussion as it had been forwarded to me. Now I seriously doubt the wisdom of my decision!
It's about as interesting as reading through the telefone directory which would be far more useful than reading Arthur Wyss's disinformation.

D

Dotty

Banned
Talking about driving. I recently took my driving test and people had told me that you can pay the examiner off to pass the test.I thought it was a joke!!

I was sitting in the car next to my instructor on the way to the test center when she turned to me and said "you know you can pay 50,00 reais to pass the test first go and that way you will not have to have extra lessons and pay another 57,00 reais to do the test again".

I felt so revolted and realised then why there are such horrendous accidents and seriously bad drivers in Natal.Bung the examiner 50,00 and he'll pass you 1st go.Then go off to church and pray,what hypocrites.
Glad to hear this as I do think most Brazilians think they are F1 drivers without the drink LOL Hopefuly they will start to improve things, I have seen way to many wrecked cars on the roadside between recife & Natal :(

D

davehoskings

Talking about driving. I recently took my driving test and people had told me that you can pay the examiner off to pass the test.I thought it was a joke!!

I was sitting in the car next to my instructor on the way to the test center when she turned to me and said "you know you can pay 50,00 reais to pass the test first go and that way you will not have to have extra lessons and pay another 57,00 reais to do the test again".

I felt so revolted and realised then why there are such horrendous accidents and seriously bad drivers in Natal.Bung the examiner 50,00 and he'll pass you 1st go.Then go off to church and pray,what hypocrites.
Are you sure it wasn't because the examiner just didn't want to be in a car with you again and tried to save face by taking a bribe. :D

J

JMBroad

Well I crashed during my exam, scraped the whole of one side of the driving school's car and still passed my exam and got my license.

Turns out the instructor was a fan of the book I was reading (Brothers Karamazov) so was more interested in debating the book than the actual exam, when I crashed we were talking about it and he paused for a few seconds, shrugged and said "bah that car shouldn't have been parked there anyway".

My "parking" part of the test was back at the school where he pointed at an empty space right in front of the school (no maneuvering required) and said "park there". So I did. Passed with flying colours. That was a few millenia ago and I've only had one accident since which wasn't my fault.

G

garrett zwart

I just bought a house on Itamaraca and was wondering where I go to get a drivers permit or license. I can only stay for short periods of time as I'm not retired yet but soon and hate to spend all my vacation time waiting in line and filling out forms. Are there english speaking schools there. PS, I' been driving for 50 years and still have two good eyes.lol

G

garrett zwart

I was looking for a english speaking realator in Itamaraca Brazil to help me rent out my house part time for the next year or so. Any help would be nice?

G

garrett zwart

I am in the process of buying a house on Itamaraca. What am I getting my self into? Can I walk around the town and consider the property in the house will be there when I get there? How about rentals on the island? Can I even rent it out when I'm not there with bad rap you all are telling me about the island. I'm just an average american looking for a nice spot to retire and spend time on the beach. Not rich,not into drugs and fancy stuff,just a quite life. Should I bail out on the purchace?

debzor

debzor

I am in the process of buying a house on Itamaraca. What am I getting my self into? Can I walk around the town and consider the property in the house will be there when I get there? How about rentals on the island? Can I even rent it out when I'm not there with bad rap you all are telling me about the island. I'm just an average american looking for a nice spot to retire and spend time on the beach. Not rich,not into drugs and fancy stuff,just a quite life. Should I bail out on the purchace?
Hi Garrett Zwart

We are Brits who live on the island and can answer all your questions...!

I am a little confused - have you bought, or are you buying or thinking of buying?

I do not want you to discuss your private affairs in public, so why not let me have your email address, and we can communicate that way?

Regards

G

garrett zwart

thanks for the quick reply. I have made the down payment and will close next month.???? I was looking down south closer to Rio but I could not afford the prices they were asking in Cabo Frio/ Buizos area. Sure was pretty though. I'm only out a few dollars if I back away now. I will probably still buy something this year if I get scared off from here? Any words of wisidom would be helpfull. Thanks Garrett I was not allowed to post my email address yet. I need to do a few more postings and become a active member first

G

garrett zwart

:mad::):):):)
thanks for the quick reply. I have made the down payment and will close next month.???? I was looking down south closer to Rio but I could not afford the prices they were asking in Cabo Frio/ Buizos area. Sure was pretty though. I'm only out a few dollars if I back away now. I will probably still buy something this year if I get scared off from here? Any words of wisidom would be helpfull. Thanks Garrett I was not allowed to post my email address yet. I need to do a few more postings and become a active member first

G

garrett zwart

How bad is br101

Aaah! - and just when we thought that the improvements to the BR101 would bring greater safety...!!:D :D
Just how bad is the highway around BR101 in the Itamaraca area going to Recife? Do I need a Jeep or will a normar sufice?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

G

garrett zwart

Maybe thats why so many people drink???

Just how bad is the highway around BR101 in the Itamaraca area going to Recife? Do I need a Jeep or will a normar sufice?:confused::confused::confused::confused:
If the roads are really that bad? maybe thats why so many drivers drink? They don't feel all the bumps in the road. If your too drunk to see them and don't feel them maybe they're not there?:confused::confused::DD:eek::eek::eek:

debzor

debzor

The BR101 in this area is mostly a 2/3 lane highway in each direction. Surface in some areas (like the rest of Brazil) leaves a bit to be desired, especially where repairs have occurred, but certainly an ordinary car is fine. On the island the main roads are actually top class - all 3 of them!

The problem in NE Brazil is the poor rail network, so that all goods are transported by road, and are thus heavily used by lorries, combined with numerous repairs, uneven surfaces, potholes, etc.

But things are slowly improving - witness the BR101 new roadworks between Natal and Recife... (slowly but surely!)
:)

E

expat2be

I really don't believe that many people are getting locked up just for drinking and driving in Brasil....anyone who has been to Brasil knows a small bribe will get you on your way.
this is definitly one thing where Brasil DOES NOT need to take after what america is doing...near every damn holiday ALL YOU SEE is those stupid don't drink and drive commercials....P...L...E...A...S...E...........without people getting busted for DUI & DWI, counties across the nation would be out BILLIONS OF DOLLARS! All they do during holidays is try to arrest as many people as they possible can....more arrests = more money = more salary next year....PLAIN AND SIMPLE. And every year more of those stupid comercials, yet nothing changes except more drinking related arrests which is exactly what the cops want. I know first hand how things work, I have been in jail during memorial day weekend, and the pod i was in was over capacity due to Drinking arrests, people sleeping in boats on the floor (plastic thing with mattress)
You have any idea how money money the county is raking in? all those people with fines and probation costs? ALOT!!!!!!!!

I am american and would worry less about drinking and driving in Brasil, than i would in the states....I and millions of others regularly drink and drive without any problems...even with the civil rights violation spots (aka. dui road blocks) that does not stop people from drinking and never will.

debzor

debzor

I really don't believe that many people are getting locked up just for drinking and driving in Brasil....anyone who has been to Brasil knows a small bribe will get you on your way.
this is definitly one thing where Brasil DOES NOT need to take after what america is doing...near every damn holiday ALL YOU SEE is those stupid don't drink and drive commercials....P...L...E...A...S...E...........without people getting busted for DUI & DWI, counties across the nation would be out BILLIONS OF DOLLARS! All they do during holidays is try to arrest as many people as they possible can....more arrests = more money = more salary next year....PLAIN AND SIMPLE. And every year more of those stupid comercials, yet nothing changes except more drinking related arrests which is exactly what the cops want. I know first hand how things work, I have been in jail during memorial day weekend, and the pod i was in was over capacity due to Drinking arrests, people sleeping in boats on the floor (plastic thing with mattress)
You have any idea how money money the county is raking in? all those people with fines and probation costs? ALOT!!!!!!!!

I am american and would worry less about drinking and driving in Brasil, than i would in the states....I and millions of others regularly drink and drive without any problems...even with the civil rights violation spots (aka. dui road blocks) that does not stop people from drinking and never will.

You'd be surprised how effective the clampdown has been here...! But it was most definitley needed, Brazilians would get blind drunk and then still drive resulting in tens of thousands of deaths annually.

And I would certainly be very careful about offering bribes to all police officers here - there are several different forces, and some will simply lock you up for trying, while others certainly will close their eyes - you need to know the difference.

I presume you have never seen the lines of abandoned cars next to some police checkpoints as their drunk drivers are arrested on the spot...

E

expat2be

I definitly believe you about the tens of thousands of deaths annualy..but lets remember this is Brasil and not america.....united states has a constant compaign against drunk drivers, because it pulls in MILLIONS of dollars per year...i've spent plenty of time behind bars(never for alcohol offences) and i've met plenty of people arrested for alochol offences..including BWI (boating while intoxiocated) this being a 18 year old arrested for operating a 12ft boat while drunk...i mean come on...a 12 ft aluminum carolina skiff...what damage could he possibly do? i've been drinking and driving since i was 16 now 24.i think i know a thing or two...i will tell you straight up when ever you go out drinking in the united states you risk the chance of getting pullled over for drinking and ddrinving in brasil that is not so....and in reality if you get pulled over in Rio you are going home. the government is not paying the police enough..which is less then 7k per year USD... if i was a cop in Rio i'd be takiung bribes too if i was getting paid less than 7k USD....what do they expect really...

I have lived in america my whole life, i'd give it up in a second to live in Brasil...it reminds me of when america was a good place to live..less laws...less road blocks...back when citizens had civic rights and such...since 2000 things have chancged..its no longer like that...

i've not seen the lines of cars abandoned by arrested people but i believe it 100%....brasil is taking after american crackdown way too much for drunk driving...
I read 5 % of homicides in Rio are solved...why waste time with DUI's when there are real crimes being commited? they need to start with serious things first....hell 90% of the people in Brasil dont wear seatbelts and thousands die every year, and i still think it should be a choice whether or not to wear it...i personaly about 50% of the time....i shouldnt be getting ticketed for it...IT SHOULD BE A PERSONAL CHOICE...

Anyway what im saying is what makes BRASIL great is it NOT being like america...i love it for that but i do realize it will soon become to be more and more like america

Status
Not open for further replies.