Dream to live in Salema

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harrison

Hi everyone,

I am a newby on here and have got a dream to go and live in Salema, The Algarve. I have not been there to visit yet, but I really can't stand living in England any more! I live alone but own my own house, which I have a mortgage on, but by the time that is repaid, I would not have enough money to buy a place over there outright. A friend suggested that I sell my property and then rent an apartment over there, initially for 2 - 3 months to see if I like it. Has anyone any ideas how I can get over this hurdle please?
Thanks
Harrison

K

kai

Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but have you thought about what you are going to live on. You will have to eat and pay bills as you do in the UK. Jobs are not that easy to come by in Portugal unless you speak the language and then they prefer to give the jobs to their own people. Unfortunately this is a fact of life. The Portugese unemployment rate is high with their recession not expected to end until 2010, this is their best guess. You may need to get away from the UK, but you should look closely at the reasons why. I find it difficult to understand anyone who would wish to live in a place they have never visited, how do you know what it is like? How do you know if you would like it? What would you live on if you didn?t have any money??? The benefits system is very different in Portugal and not as generous as the UK. Please think very carefully your reasons for wanting to leave the country. Perhaps visit Salema first of all for a holiday.
Thanks
Kai

Status
Not open for further replies.