ad

Do you teach your children about long-term property investment?

L

lookinginvest

We often talk about property investment gurus, who to follow and who seems to read the market best, but do you pass on this information to your children in the hope it will help them in their later years? Personally, I think it is never too young to teach children about finance and investment. By the time our children retire it is likely that the state pension will be means tested to varying degrees and those with modest savings will potentially be hardest hit.

R

realdeals

I have been banging on about this for years now - we teach our kids some of the mose bizarre "skills" in school yet do not teach them about the real world, about life as they should expect it. I am continuously advising my kids about pensions, saving for the future and, of course, property investment.

A

ananyaselvin

Being a real estate agent for (moderated) & a mother of two, investment is something that easily flows in my blood. Many times I tried sharing my decades of real estate experience/knowledge with children's but they seem to be disinterested or they don't understand it given their age. But I encourage them to read books on finance as this would definitely broaden their financial knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FWL

I have always found it strange that we teach children about many things they will never encounter once they leave school, but life skills we seem to ignore. Learning how to manage your finances should be compulsory in schools.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
For the vast majority of people, the purchase of their home will be their biggest investment ever. So, surely we must start to make children more aware of financial planning sooner rather than later? Get rid of the stereotypical useless lessons and start teaching children life skills which they will use for ever and a day.

A

Ali.M2000

It can't harm them, the better they start to know about this they better they will be in the future :)

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I just find it very bizarre we spend time, money and effort teaching our kids stuff they will NEVER use in real life and ignore the important things such as money managements, buying a home, etc.

M

michael1978

This is so true, complicated math and they will use a calculator anyway..Finances are important and real estate has been growing over the last years and will keep on growing, we should teach our kids a thing or 2 about it.

R

realdeals

By the time many of our children require their own home, the difference between incomes and house prices will likely be wider than ever before. It will probably take some innovative financial tools to allow many to climb onto the property ladder. However, we should still teach children about property, finance and the cost of living.

F

FWL

In the UK especially there is a massive shortage of new builds and private rental properties. Even in light of Brexit and the ever increasing tax burden for property investors, there will be some huge investment opportunities for our children in years to come.

D

diyhelp

To be honest I can’t see the downside of teaching children about finances and property at school. The worst thing is that they will be ready for the real world rather than their head filled with information they will never use in their lifetime. Is there a downside?

R

realdeals

There needs to be a better balance between life skills/knowledge when teaching in schools. If kids left school know about mortgages and the cost of everyday items such as milk and coffee, they would be better setup for life.

D

Dan Veo

We often talk about property investment gurus, who to follow and who seems to read the market best, but do you pass on this information to your children in the hope it will help them in their later years? Personally, I think it is never too young to teach children about finance and investment. By the time our children retire it is likely that the state pension will be means tested to varying degrees and those with modest savings will potentially be hardest hit.
It’s never too early to start teaching your kids about money, says Melanie Mortimer, President of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) Foundation. “By starting as early as 3-years-old, your kids can grow up to be part of a more prepared and financially savvy generation.”

• Setting the stage: From saving to investing.
  • Keep it simple, speak their language.
  • Teach with stories.
  • Know your child’s expense style.
  • “Computer game” the market.