ad

Do MP's really need a second home allowance?

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
The subject of MPs expenses and the controversial "second home allowance" has been in the headlines over the past few days, weeks and months!

Check our article "MP's second home expenses to be investigated" and see what you think...

All comments and opinions welcome....

W

web2dude

I think in all fairness, there are pros and cons to this argument. Some of the MPs do need to stay overnight in London, but I struggle to see why they should be able to finance the purchase of a second home funded by the taxpayer.

I think the problems arise when MPs are claiming full benefits (within the rules don't you know!) approved by other MPs, when in fact they are spending little time at the properties in question. Harriett Harmon a case in point. A very poor example to all and highlights how many MPs are on the make.

L

Lysos

Simple solution: after the 2012 Olympics allocate those MP's who can justify needing accommodation in the capital a flat in the Olympic village. Flats will already be paid for and owned effectively by the government, no allowances necessary. Alternatively, the govt builds a block of bedsits for them. The money saved in allowances would soon cover the building costs and ongoing running/maintenance costs.

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the problems is that while some MPs do abide by spirit of the regulations and the regulations themselves, others seem happy to push the boundaries to the limit. As with many things in life, the few who allegedly abuse a system spoil it for the rest.

T

TonyB

SEO Consultant For My Website

Hi Everyone,
I have a carpet cleaning business in Houston,TX that was doing pretty good until the economy went bad, and with it my clientele. I have a website for the business but I dont
know what I have to do the get it to show up in a search. Right now it's somewhere in the yahoo/google netherworld (LOL).

Is there someone on here that can give me some insight or know of anyone that coud give me insight on how I can get my local website on the front
page of a Yahoo or Google search to increase my business without it costing me 5 or 10k $$$? If so please share with me.

I thank you and my hungry over-eating children thank you.

thanks,

T

travelguy

welcome to all at the forum.

great looking forum , there are certainly some interesting things here, i will definately check back a little later.

P

Prop-erty

Simple solution: after the 2012 Olympics allocate those MP's who can justify needing accommodation in the capital a flat in the Olympic village. Flats will already be paid for and owned effectively by the government, no allowances necessary. Alternatively, the govt builds a block of bedsits for them. The money saved in allowances would soon cover the building costs and ongoing running/maintenance costs.
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gawd I needed a laugh after today's cancellations!

J

Jonathan_klein

Just wanted to say Hello

Hello everyone.

My name is Jonathan, currently based in belgium,
I am both English and French native language,
just wanted to say hello and Looking forward to sharing information with all of you:)

T

tmash

I think MP's living in and around London must not claim second homes allowances because they commute from home and they should be paid slightly more money to cover the living costs for London. For those that come from further constituencies they can be allowed to claim travel and rental allowances to cover the period they are attending parliament .It would be unfair to provide flats for MP's to live in together as its not everyone's preference.

N

nyebe

having an home allowance is suitable to have low interest rate in buying a home.

T

tmash

having an home allowance is suitable to have low interest rate in buying a home.
What ever way is finally agreed , lets make sure that this does not discourage the right people from applying to be MPs .We need the best talent and this certainly does not come free.

T

tmash

From an investment point of view! what is better , giving MP accomodation allowance or giving them opportunity to buy a second home?.I think the later is better and cheaper than the former.It world be a wise idea to let the status quo be as it is but make adjustment in pensions and westminister after- life grants-Making a cut back in retirements allowances for MPs to compansate for the houses they have purchased under the second home scheme.The thing is there will always be a loophole in any system which people will use if they are not given an opportunity and fair payments of the work they deliver to the tax-payer.

P

punitalemon

Your City Office

Hi,
Some of the MPs do need to stay overnight in London.when MPs are claiming full
benefits then problems arise.