Do i definately need a uk lawyer when buying in Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Silly money by Hurghada standards.

Even if paying for an English lawyer with links in Egypt it should only be about £1000, and that's about double what it is if you go direct to a local lawyer in Hurghada, and even that is much more than you really NEED to pay if everything is straight forward.

correct Dave just people worry so much as buying overseas and may be they don't know anything about the area

L

Lsab

I'd rather go for a lawyer that is a member of the UK Law Society though, so that there's comeback if necessary. Yes it's more expensive but then we're paying many thousands for our property so we shouldn't let half price fees be the over-riding factor.

Thats just my opinion. I'm not saying anything positive or negative about local lawyers.

L

Len Deeley

Managing agent for sahl hasheesh

I am soon to complete on an apartment in Sahl Hasheesh. This was originally begun through Superior Real Estate but they went into administration. However, this did not impact me and the purchase is going through with Resort Alliance, who are located in Cologne.

My intention is primarily to let the apartment but will use it myself on occasion. Superior were intending to provide managing agent services but this is not looking likely with Resort Alliance.

I am therefore, investigating managing agents that can provide this service for me. Maintenance services I understand will be provided by Resort Alliance.

I am also looking into the options for giving power of attorney for the completion, and have written to Hamdi El Sawy who was recommended to me some time ago by Resort Alliance.

Any helpful advice on the above would be appreciated.
Rgds
Len

F

Flyerman

I am soon to complete on an apartment in Sahl Hasheesh. This was originally begun through Superior Real Estate but they went into administration. However, this did not impact me and the purchase is going through with Resort Alliance, who are located in Cologne.

My intention is primarily to let the apartment but will use it myself on occasion. Superior were intending to provide managing agent services but this is not looking likely with Resort Alliance.

I am therefore, investigating managing agents that can provide this service for me. Maintenance services I understand will be provided by Resort Alliance.

I am also looking into the options for giving power of attorney for the completion, and have written to Hamdi El Sawy who was recommended to me some time ago by Resort Alliance.

Any helpful advice on the above would be appreciated.
Rgds
Len
Hi Len,

Are you looking for property management (by which I mean looking after the interior of your property) and a rental company? The terms are confusing and some people assume maintenance means their apartment will be looked after. It almost definitely will not. You are (generally) just paying for upkeep of common areas.

I very strongly recommend you use a UK lawyer covered by UK law society. It is also important for buyers to remember that which ever lawyer you use you must undertake due diligence - a key part of which is understanding how to manage your lawyer from before appointing them, be they UK or Egyptian, and throughout the completion process. My new blog is under development but take a look at some stuff I wrote on due diligence and managing lawyers - this in the first part here.

I am in contact with a UK based rental company for some of my clients so if you are interested let me know. Its not 100% sorted yet but I'm hopeful.

Hope this helps a little,

Lance

L

Len Deeley

buying in Egypt

Lance
Many thanks for your advice. Overseas properties are a new departure for me. As you are probably aware Sahl Hasheesh is part of a major development and the process is nearing completion. I have visited to see progress. The original estate agent when into administration but the developer has completed. I have covered all areas such as A/C. Furniture options are awaited.

Your info on lawyer and notary is very useful.

With regard to management and maintenance. I expected the estate agent to set up a management maintenance arm. This would be similar to Turkish properties which I have just completed on, where the property company have set up a management maintenance system as well as lettings.

I am still unclear re Egypt whether they will do the same but it seems unlikely. As it is part of a major development and not a stand alone property, I would expect that they would require standards to be maintained so would have expected them to provide general internal maintenance services such as cleaning etc. However, if not, I will need to establish the procedure to do that. Similarly, re management and lettings, I am still trying to find out what services will be provided or, if none, what the process is for arranging it separately, bearing in mind again the need for a uniform standard over the development.

So any guidance that can be given by the Forum would be very helpful.

Rgds
Len

Status
Not open for further replies.