Diving / Sports / pastimes / recreation

J

jeremy bright

It's not a situation unique to Hurghada - it applies to any tourist destination in the World. Some businesses cater for tourists and some for locals. In poorer countries, prices for tourists are somewhere between the prices for locals and the prices in visitors' home countries.

In Latvia, where I live at the moment, the Old Town is pretty much a tourist ghetto now - the locals can't afford to go there any more as prices are calculated purely for tourists.

There are cheap places in Hurghada and expensive places. My wallet is still in shock after having a meal at Little Buddha and eating anywhere at all in El Gouna is definitely not a bargain basement opportunity. I am sure that it will be the same in Sahl Hasheesh too.
hi just bought your gide to hurghada hoping it had some info on the hurghada village have you got any thoughts on the place

P

propertastic

Thanks for the business, Jeremy.

No, it's not in there as it's not a very high profile development and I didn't come across it while I was over there.

The developers should actually be quite glad that I didn't mention it as I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't have been terribly complementary about it.

The first I heard about it was when I was talking about the book with one of the agents who has done her homework and knows the market in Hurghada well. She asked me if Hurghada Village was there and I said no. She then went on to use it as an example about how terrible it is that some agents sell projects that they know nothing about and where details are really sketchy. The first thing that she mentioned about it was it being on a dual carriageway next to a Shell garage.

Exactly the same points were made on the discussion on this forum about the development.

Are the sea views guaranteed according to the contract? I can't see how they can be as there appears to be an empty building plot between the development and the sea which I can't believe will stay empty for long.

I'm sorry if you're already committed to buying there. Personally I think that, for the same budget, you would have been better off buying in Suleder or Red Sea Pharaoh just a litte bit north or, if you could increase your budget by a grand, then Lotus Breeze would have been a better choice.

J

jeremy bright

yes was one of the peaple on the blog was trying to say some good points as is to late to change now was told that it will have only a low bilding put on the land as not to over shado the mosque by them

D

dave99

Any hotel in Hurghada got golf setup yet

Hi everyone,

I think it is a bit pricey for 1 round,However it's like anything, people who want a round will have one without thinking about price.
Any hotel in Hurghada got golf setup yet.

I've booked at the Steigenberger in Hurghada (not the one in El Gouna) and they claim to have a 9 hole short course.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
don't know about the golf but looks fantastic hotel, let me know about the golf as me and hubbie want to try golf once and want to know prices. When you going to Hurghada?

D

dave99

Going in March

don't know about the golf but looks fantastic hotel, let me know about the golf as me and hubbie want to try golf once and want to know prices. When you going to Hurghada?
Going in early March

J

J4hurghada

Banned
we are out in April let me know about the golf if you don't mind thanks Jayne x

F

flip

Any hotel in Hurghada got golf setup yet.

I've booked at the Steigenberger in Hurghada (not the one in El Gouna) and they claim to have a 9 hole short course.

I have seen the course in this hotel and very nice it is indeed, but I have not played on it yet so not sure of the price. The hotel is very nice too.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
The Steigenberger is very nice but it is a German owned and run hotel and is quite 'formal'. Personally I prefer the Intercontinental. The nine hole course at the Steigenberger looks fine if you are a golfer!

R

Reiska

gym in hurghada

Where can I find a good gym in Hurghada area?

P

propertastic

The Marriott seems to have the highest profile gym in Hurghada. I don't know what the prices would be though for non-residents.

G

GM43

Banned
I think there is also one on the Sheraton Road between McDonalds and El Souk, above a jewellery.

L

laser egypt (Gael)

Laser Game Egypt

Gael and Celia REEB have recently installed a indoor LASER GAME in Hurghada to bring the fun to everyone !
This laser game is based on harmless infrared technology
This team play activity is an easy way to get lot of fun for
Everyone!
Friends, youngsters and parents, men and women will enjoy this indoor place in front of sea gull between Da Capo and El Arabi Café.
Prices are
8 euros for 30 minutes
10 euros for 1 hour
& 15 euros for 2 hours

forget the 25!

They are also searching for business contacts to develop their new company.

J

Jeremy Sturgess

El Gouna golf

I agree with you about the formaility of the steigenberger. Sunbeds all snapped up by 8.30 am !

the golf course at Steigenberger is 18 holes and an excellent resort course. Its very busy in high season but anyone can play and not too expensive by european levels and every bit as enjoyable but best to start early and take a buggy and lots of water.

Gouna are going to build a second gated golf resort starting this year called Ancient Sands Golf Resort because the first is so busy and this will enable them to spread the load and make it much more attractive a destination for european golfers. Course has been designed by the same guy who built the famous emirates golf course in Dubai ,Karl Litten, who is a highly respected golf architect of the old school.

There will be appartments for investors (mainly studios and 1 beds with lock outs so they can be combined for better rental flexibility) with rental management facilities and townhouses and villas - all designed by EDSA the worlds leading masterplanners and SB architects a leading miami practice. Its been on the drawing board for a couple of years and the plans which ive been involved in look fabulous - i expect there will be more news soon but Orascom are definately trying to move even further up the quality scale with this one as you would expect from them.

The Steigenberger is very nice but it is a German owned and run hotel and is quite 'formal'. Personally I prefer the Intercontinental. The nine hole course at the Steigenberger looks fine if you are a golfer!

C

CMChris

I know its nothing to do with golf but it is sport? of a fashion? Does anyone know if its cheaper to book snorkelling and quad bike safaris in UK or wait till you arrive in Sharm? I get asked these questions now because of buying an appartment and I haven't a clue.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi - defo dont book with tour op in the UK as the prices will be soooo expensive. Same as dont do the same if you are booked in a hotel with the tour op. You can find many cheaper deals in Sharm offering the same but at alot cheaper price. I have used a few in Sharm such as Sunnfunsinai and Sharmexcursions. Check their websites to get an idea of prices and still barter. If you get a price for any trip in Sharm let me know what you have been quoted and I will tell you if it is reasonable or not.

Tiran Island is A MUST

Please, please though check out your own UK travel Insurance for trips such as quads to see if they offer you adequate cover if not check who you book the trip with and ask to see their liability insurance cert. If they dont have one then dont touch them. We went on the quads in Hurghada and I was horrified and scared stiff so be warned to make sure you are covered!

queenie40something

queenie40something

I have renamed this thread Sports and Recreation and merged any threads onto here.

L

lyndsay552

I love playing squash and play every lunch time in work. Has anyone come across squash clubs in hurghada? I know they hosted the championships last year but haven't come across any clubs?