Diving / Sports / pastimes / recreation

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Many people contributing to the forum talk about many things that they like and dislike about Egypt but one of the areas we have heard very little about is golf. Knowing that there are literally thousands of golfers out there leads me to the conclusion that visitors to Egypt are either not amongst the golfing fraternity or you are waiting for more golf courses to open and for the market to develop. In which case the following articles from the Egyptian Daily News might be of interest.

Who will play on all these golf courses?
By Tom Olson
First Published: December 14, 2007

Last month we talked about the golf courses as part of the development strategies of housing developments. Today, we will answer the question I get asked most often: Who is going to play on all the new golf courses in Egypt?
The easy answer is: golfers who live in Egypt and tourists.
First, let’s look at golfers in Egypt. As I said before, 15 years ago there were only a few hundred golfers playing in Gezirah, Mena House and Alexandria Sporting, mostly Egyptians from wealthy families. There may have been a couple of hundred foreign residents playing as well.
Today, the number of Egyptian golfers has at least doubled, perhaps even tripled. The number of foreign players has probably increased by a similar number. People from the Far East can learn golf in Egypt, whereas the sport is too expensive to play in China, Japan or Southeast Asia. But a couple thousand golfers are not going to fill 20 golf courses, which is the number we will have within a year to 18 months.
Regardless of whether golf is a growing sport, the number of Egyptian golfers is not going to grow overnight. That will take time and effort. I will take up this subject later on.
To fill up the courses quickly, Egypt must attract golf tourists, especially during the seven winter months in Europe: October to the end of April. The number of tourists we are talking about is surprisingly few. In the winter months, an 18-hole golf course in Egypt will comfortably accommodate a maximum of 120 golfers teeing off in groups of four —we call them foursomes — between 7 am and 12 pm, playing their games in four and a half hours.
The typical golf tourist plays five rounds in a week, ideally at more than one course. If all 20 golf courses were full every weekday (we have to leave time on the weekends for local golfers to play),that would be 2,400 golfers per week or 67,200 golfers during these seven months. That’s less than 1 percent of the golfers in Europe. It is also less than 1 percent of the tourists who come to Egypt every year.
Can Egypt attract 1 percent of the golfers in Europe? Only with a concerted effort from all the golf courses working together. Still, this is not really a daunting task. Egypt has all a golfer could want: good weather every day; comparatively low prices for hotels, food, and golf course fees; one of the nearest destinations to Europe, and — very importantly — within one time zone of the tourist market.
It is beginning to happen. The courses on the Red Sea and Sinai are busy during the winter and are making money for their resorts. Golfers typically spend twice as much as the average tourist, so it is worth a little extra marketing effort to bring them.There are some tourist agencies in Egypt specializing in golf, and the courses attract golfers directly through relationships with golf clubs in Europe, but a lot more has to be done. Mostly, it requires cooperation among the courses, and some financial support from the Ministry of Tourism for attending tourism exhibitions in Europe, and bringing golf tourist agents to Egypt on familiarization visits.
Will the cooperation happen? I am optimistic. Already I see most clubs cooperating. It should be a no-brainer. Adding just two foursomes a day to a golf course during the high season brings nearly $100,000 of income that goes directly to the bottom line of the course. An extra foursome on a golf course is like selling four more rooms in a hotel that is not full. There is almost no cost to having the additional guests; in fact, the guests — or the golfer in this case — will also spend money eating, drinking and buying things in the shops.
So, if you are an investor, golf is good. It is certainly not quick money — that happens when you gamble in the real estate or stock markets. But, if you are looking for a steady and rising income, it is a good bet. Besides, if you own a course in Egypt, you can play golf everyday for free!

As always, remember to keep your head down and swing away.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Peter

Desert landscapes and lush green golf courses and the last two things you would expect to find together.

Sharm has an excellent 18 hole PGA course 6021 yards and graded as a par 72 at the Maritime Jollie Ville Golf Resort in Coral Bay. Outside guests are welcome to play a round but reservation is recommended.
Golf lessons are available and karts can be rented from the golf shop. Cant imagine carry your bag in that heat - 19th and a cold beer!!
The club offers internation golf programmes, golf clinic everyday and one hour golf instruction with the highest rated PGA golf trainers in Egypt. There is also a driving range.

There is another 18 hole PGA course being built at the far end of Nabq as well.

There is also the Golf and Fitness Club at El Ghouna - 18-hole Championship Golf Course, Par 72, 6.269 m, resort designed by Michael Graves, golf course by Gene Bates & Fred Couples.

Cascades Golf and Country Club at Soma - 18-hole Championship Golf Course, Par 72, 6.864 yds, designed by Gary Player with adjacent 9 hole short range academy course, Par 27, 1229 yds.

Queenie

J

J4hurghada

Banned
peter me and my husband have never played golf but what to when in Hurghada in April what is the average price for a game that would be with everything we do not have them stick things or anything.

queenie40something

queenie40something

peter me and my husband have never played golf but what to when in Hurghada in April what is the average price for a game that would be with everything we do not have them stick things or anything.
Hi J4 the one in El Ghouna has a 5m membership for 338 euros per person not sure what the rate is for around though.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Queenie you're a mine of information, and not just about Sharm! Maybe you can answer Jaynes question about how much golf costs in Egypt?
There are 8 golf courses planned at Sahl Hasheesh; two already under construction and designed by Bernhardt Langers company and a Jack Nicklaus signature course behind Ocean Breeze. Two of them will form part of the Serrenia development.
I am not a golfer either but with all that desert we need to have something to do....!!

J

J4hurghada

Banned
We just want to try it once not to pay for full memebrship do they let you do that, I can see once will be enough as my Hubbie will whip me at it then brag all night.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

In Spain you can play on any golf course as a visitor; you don't have to be a member. I don't know if that will be the same in Egypt. I would have thought so as most visitors are there for a holiday it will be a while before there are too many permanent residents from overseas. I would expect prices to be between 25 -35 € per round. Anyone else know for sure what the prices are?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Queenie you're a mine of information, and not just about Sharm! Maybe you can answer Jaynes question about how much golf costs in Egypt?
There are 8 golf courses planned at Sahl Hasheesh; two already under construction and designed by Bernhardt Langers company and a Jack Nicklaus signature course behind Ocean Breeze. Two of them will form part of the Serrenia development.
I am not a golfer either but with all that desert we need to have something to do....!!
Hi Peter - I am pretty certain that the one in El Ghouna is membership only at 338 Euros for 5 months.

The Jollie Ville is quite expensive at around £30 a round and thats with a resident discount and not iclunding any balls or hire of clubs etc.

The Cascades as Soma is 65 euros for 9 holes and 90 euros for the 18 hole championship course, for the 9 hole Par 3 challenge course it is cheaper at 35 euros and these prices are for non paying guests.

Queenie

queenie40something

queenie40something

J4 - might be cheaper sticking to Crazy Golf LOL

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

The problem is that the average Egyptian will not be playing golf so the prices for the tourists become 'international'. They charge you what any golfer would expect to pay elsewhere in the world. Same in China, I believe the golf courses are incredibly expensive - even though its a communist country.

queenie40something

queenie40something

It is an expensive sport but then again how much is it to watch a premier league footie match. When we used to go when the kids were younger as a family it used to cost an arm and a leg. Anyway off line for a while now as volunteered to take a couple of people to hospital - both had bunions removed OOcchh

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Too much information!!! Thanks for sharing that with us Queenie.....

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi everyone,

I think it is a bit pricey for 1 round,However it's like anything, people who want a round will have one without thinking about price.

G

GM43

Banned
Sports and recreation

You can now play a laser game!
The location is on the top floor of the "Le Passage" mall, located opposite of the Sea Gull hotels in Sakkala.

A

awahee123

Banned
Will definately give this a go next time i'm here.
What are prices like gm43?.

J

jeremy bright

You can now play a laser game!
The location is on the top floor of the "Le Passage" mall, located opposite of the Sea Gull hotels in Sakkala.

you have given me somthing new to do there as want to move to hurghada next year thanks

A

awahee123

Banned
Thanks for that,they seem to be finding the european prices for any sort of leisure activity.Apart from the sun soon it will end up like home from home.

P

propertastic

Why's everything so expensive guys?
It's not a situation unique to Hurghada - it applies to any tourist destination in the World. Some businesses cater for tourists and some for locals. In poorer countries, prices for tourists are somewhere between the prices for locals and the prices in visitors' home countries.

In Latvia, where I live at the moment, the Old Town is pretty much a tourist ghetto now - the locals can't afford to go there any more as prices are calculated purely for tourists.

There are cheap places in Hurghada and expensive places. My wallet is still in shock after having a meal at Little Buddha and eating anywhere at all in El Gouna is definitely not a bargain basement opportunity. I am sure that it will be the same in Sahl Hasheesh too.