Decorating your home on a budget

• Thread starter totallyproperty
  • Start date
T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
Whether you are looking to sell your property or you are looking to give your house a revamp, decorating your home on a budget is on the surface very attractive but you need to ensure you are not compromising quality for cost. This is especially relevant if you are decorating your home to sell as while there will be many simple tasks which you can complete yourself, leave the finishing touches to the experts!

You may find that less than perfect decorating will have an impact upon those viewing your property and while money might be tight at the moment a few hundred pounds could make a major difference. It could literally be the difference between selling your property and remaining in your home for many years to come. Finding a balance is the tricky part!

What advice would you give someone looking to sell their property?

K

Kristine

The most important thing you can do to prepare your property for sale is to get rid of clutter. Make a property rule that for every new item that comes in, an old one has to leave. One of the major contributors to a cluttered look is having too much furniture. When professional staggers descend on a home being prepped for market, they often whisk away as much as half the owner's furnishings, and the house looks much bigger for it. You don't have to whittle that drastically, but take a hard look at what you have and ask yourself what you can live without.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Its also important to de-personalise.
Put all those family photos away. Buyers do not want to see all the pictures of family weddings, children and grandchildren, it makes it harder for them to visualise themselves in your home.

De-cluttering and de-personalising cost nothing. A little bit of paint to cover the patches where you have removed the pictures from the walls puts the finishing touches to the job.

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
I totally agree - if you can give someone a "blank" canvass from which to work then it will let their own ideas flow. If you have your own style, your own colours, etc it can put potential buyers or tenants off your property.

S

shinystar

A re modified or even a well painted home attracts buyers which boosts the appearance and the sale of the property.

N

nmb

First of all you need to make sure the property looks attractive from the outside otherwise it will be difficult to change the first impression of an untidy look. Many people fall into the trap of assuming that decorating a property is expensive. A relatively small amount of money spent wisely can have a significant impact upon your chances of selling the property.

P

Preeti Sharma

A well designed home is always the first choice for any kind of customers. This helps in the easy sale of the property.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

Who thinks it is more important to de-personalise a property for sale or make it as striking as possible.

Personally I would prefer a property where I can add my own stamp - kind of like a blank canvass.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
The main thing when decorating a house to rent to someone else is to resist the temptation to decorate it how you would like it. Ensure it is neutral.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

I have a simple rule, if there is work I am not comfortable doing, get an expert in. This relates to decorating as much as anything else - if you make a mess it will probably cost you more to clear it up than it would have to bring someone in at the start lol

L

lookinginvest

I was given one piece of advice many years ago - ensure that any changes add value to your property. If you are at the local property ceiling, can you add any more value?

Y

yardely26

The most important thing you can do to prepare your property for sale is to get rid of clutter. Make a property rule that for every new item that comes in, an old one has to leave. One of the major contributors to a cluttered look is having too much furniture. When professional staggers descend on a home being prepped for market, they often whisk away as much as half the owner's furnishings, and the house looks much bigger for it. You don't have to whittle that drastically, but take a hard look at what you have and ask yourself what you can live without.

Last edited:
L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
There is a balance between making a property look "homely" and giving the next owner a kind of blank canvas. When looking at a budget for decorating this does not have to be huge because even a lick of paint can make a massive difference to the look of the property. It is more a case of improving and replacing areas where there is wear and tear which will freshen the property up.

Y

yardely26

Would you also like to replace flooring in your budget?
Yes, I want to replace the flooring of my house & I'm thinking about bamboo flooring installation. what do you say about bamboo flooring?

Last edited:
D

diyhelp

Research shows that more and more homeowners have one eye on redecorating and one eye on eco-friendly products. The proposed use of bamboo for flooring is something we are seeing more and more of and from a financial and practical point of view it makes perfect sense.

What other home improvements could heavily involve eco-friendly products and sustainable materials?

M

meehow

Yes, I want to replace the flooring of my house & I'm thinking about bamboo flooring installation. what do you say about bamboo flooring?
Seems a trendy option at the moment but would be good to hear from someone that has had it for a few years. On decorating I always go with a minimalist and neutral look and it does the job.

B

badzyk

What other home improvements could heavily involve eco-friendly products and sustainable materials?
Maybe try a non-woven wallpaper? I have purchased wallpaper cutted to size which was great option because I do not pay for waste of material. Besides, my wife choose this tropical classic wallpaper from (could be crafty advertising) that was printed with eco-solvent ink. Additionally, we received a starch-based glue. It can't be more eco-friendly:D

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Are people willing to pay more for eco-friendly decor in the current environment? Personally, I am not totally convinced....

B

bracknelson

Shop Secondhand - Sometimes, it just isn’t possible to get the furniture you need by using something you already have. But even if you have to buy a new piece, that doesn’t mean it has to be brand new. There are lots of places to find secondhand furniture for far less than you’d pay in a showroom.

Use Paint - One of the cheapest ways to transform a house is to use paint. In a matter of hours, it can make faded or dingy walls look fresh again – or change their color for a completely different look.