Cut Back Public Housing UK

O

oregon woodsmoke

I'm interested in what you all think.

It was on the news last night. Britain is cutting back the budget to an extreme degree (good for them I say). One of the items being severely cut is public housing.

So what effect for renting in Britain? Will there be more tenants available? Will they be acceptable tenants (pay the rent, not trash the house)?

In short, is it suddenly a good time to purchases house to let in GB?

A

alyna

"Plans to cut the social housing budget will backfire and increase overall welfare bills,housing associations have warned".

If this is so, then tenants will have a "powerful disincentive" to work. The sum charged to tenants will be so high that even if they could get a job, their earnings would disappear in rent repayments.

PureFX

PureFX

Hmm.

Slashing the public housing budget will lock less well off people of all stripes out of the housing market - including young professionals and entrants to the UK.

On the one hand that could means landlords are likely to get enquiries from more well off tenants - since the people who apply for housing benefit are locked out. On the other hand these same more well off people might be inclined to get mortgages instead. So - hey - who knows?

P

propertylettingagents.inf

I think the amount of homeless people will increase and private landlords will be out of pocket.