Currency and Time in Hurghada

P

philthecar

We are visiting Hurghada in two weeks time and wondered if anybody could tell us what currency we should take with us ? Also what is the time difference in Hurghada and finally will we need a visa to get into the country. Thanks PS is the weather warm enough to sunbathe in ????

A

awahee123

Banned
I usually take a bit of Egyptian pound and change my sterling in Hurghada as you do get a better rate,you will have to get a visa at the airport.Weather is usually warm during the day but very cold at night this time of the year.Maybe someone else can tell you if it's sun bathing weather.

M

Mark .Y.

We are visiting Hurghada in two weeks time and wondered if anybody could tell us what currency we should take with us ? Also what is the time difference in Hurghada and finally will we need a visa to get into the country. Thanks PS is the weather warm enough to sunbathe in ????
Definitely take just a few Egyptian pounds and change the rest over there.
I was surprised that you could get over 10% more - big difference I thought and one I can't recall from visiting other places.

Mark .Y.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi before I got my multi entry visa I used to take USD to pay for the visa $15 each and dont pay for any children that are on adults passports. Exchange rate is as mentioned above better in Egypt and you get well over 11LE to £. I havent been in Jan but was in Sharm end Nov beg Dec and needed extra layer in the evening. Pools were freezing and sea water was warmer.

queenie40something

queenie40something

...and at the moment they are 2 hours ahead.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Make sure that you have some small Egyptian notes when you arrive; try to keep hold of your baggage and avoid the many offers you will get to take it to your bus or taxi. If you do accept help be prepared to tip and use the small notes for this. If all you have is 50 LE (Egyptian pounds) you would dbe tipping a fiver which is a fortune in Egypt! If you go to the loo you will usually be expected to tip the attendant; one Egyptian pound is enough (10p). This time last year we were snorkelling in the sea mid day but it does get chilly nights & mornings but always sunny! For changing money while you are there use the ATM's.

queenie40something

queenie40something

....and ladies always carry tissues with you when you are out as they will expect to be paid for a sheet of loo roll.

D

dave99

Sun bathing

We were there in Mid Dec this year - OK for sunbathing from about 09:30 till about 16:00 when the sun starts to go down - should be a bit later in mid Jan.

If you have a hotel with a heated pool you'll be fine - defo no good in unheated pools - sea just about warm enough to swim if you're hardy but not as good as a heated pool.

If you have a debit card you can use the ATM in the airport arrivals hall in Hurghada. Especially good if you have a Nationwide Bs Account since they do not charge for oversea withdrawals.

People will generally take USD / Euros / British Pounds but you will need small denominations which may not be possible from ATMs etc.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Hi Philthecar

Nick and myself will be in Hurghada from the 25th Jan - 8th Feb if you are still there. Be happy to meet up for a drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

philthecar

hi there and thanks for the offer. Unfortunately we are only going out for a week just to look at our development etc and are returning to the dreaded UK on the l8th of January. Many thanks for the offer though we would have loved to have met up with you both for a drink