ad

Coronavirus impact on real estate

M

markopovic

Dear all, I am conducting a survey among real estate professionals about the Covid-19 impact on the real estate industry. As part of my MSc studies I want to investigate global market comparisons of the impact on property values and rents. I am looking forward to your participation and appreciate if you share this survey with other real estate professionals.

Kindest
Marko

L

Lamar

I have the same question. How will the pandemic effect real estate prices? I don't see much change so far. Will there be no effect? Will there be a delayed effect? If prices go down, does anyone have an educated guess about how much?

Last edited:
NewOrleansHomeBuyer

NewOrleansHomeBuyer

New Orleans Property Investor
Thats a good study to do. I couldn't see the actual survey, were you meaning to share it with us or just tell us you are working on it

K

KeithR

I guess that depends on your area of the market and strategy Ethan.

If you are a portfolio investor in BTL and in for the long term, any dip in the market won't have a great effect.

If you are buying to update and flip, a downturn could evaporate you profit margin.

L

Lamar

Hi, Marko: I was thinking about your project when a couple days ago, I saw a segment of the PBS News Hour devoted to urban commercial real estate during the pandemic. Here's the link: pbs.org/newshour/show/american-skyscrapers-face-an-uncertain-future-amid-coronavirus

On another note, I'd like to answer KeithR's question about one's reason for purchasing real estate during Covid-19. I'd be buying real estate, not to flip or sell, but as a retirement property. It will be in either the San Francisco or Barcelona markets, somewhere in town rather than in the suburbs. So I guess the question for me would be: does anyone have any educated guesses about what will be happening to urban residential real estate in the next few months?

alisonduffy

alisonduffy

There is no doubt that COVID 19 has completely changed the economy of the world in 2020. The people who are involving in the real estate business, having sadness on their faces. There may be few reasons like Rate Cuts, price fluctuations, Reduced Asset Prices, falling property demand, and shortage of money. There may be a big loss for property agents.

A

Abbie guo

I have the same question. How will the pandemic effect real estate prices? I don't see much change so far. Will there be no effect? Will there be a delayed effect? If prices go down, does anyone have an educated guess about how much?
I think the demands of buying houses do not disappear, they are just delayed.

D

diyhelp

This may be a good starting point for your study. This website highlights the economic projections for the G-7 countries:-

F

FWL

There is currently talk that the Bank of England is looking to move UK base rates into negative territory. This would suggest that perhaps the economy has tanked more than many people had assumed. At the moment everybody is guessing about the impact of the coronavirus in real estate as we move out of lockdown, and pent-up demand is satisfied, only then will we be able to see the real impact. There is a lot more to come!

D

diyhelp

As the UK moves out of lockdown many people may wrongly assume the worst is over regarding the coronavirus pandemic. In many ways, the coming weeks will crystallise a realisation of tenant debt and the fact that landlords will need to "catch up" with the mortgage holiday payments. Reality is just about to hit home!

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Just as the 2008/9 US mortgage crisis changed the worldwide economy or more than a decade (and still not fully recovered) the after-effects of the coronavirus pandemic could also last many years. However, that is not to say that there won't be very attractive investment opportunities because the worldwide population is still growing people still need somewhere to live.

The problem of government debt around the world is often discussed let's not forget that base rates are at historic lows and in real terms, taking into account inflation, these debts are actually reducing year-on-year. They will still need to be paid back, probably by a mixture of investment in the economy and tax increases, but it is not the end of the world.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
While there is no doubt that the coronavirus will have an impact on property prices and rental values, the bottom line is that the population of countries such as the UK continues to grow. As a consequence, there will be a natural demand for property going forward. Interestingly, if new property developments are delayed or even cancelled this would reduce supply while demand continues to naturally grow. Thereby supporting property prices to a certain extent?