Converting an apartment into short-term rentals

I

Ittai66

Hi everyone

I bought a tenanted apartment in Berlin, Kreuzberg, and the tenant is moving out. I would like to convert the apartment into a vacation, short term rental place, and in about four years from now to move there myself.

I'm experienced with the business of vacation apartments, but not in Germany. I'll be grateful if anyone could let me know if there are special laws regarding such a business in Berlin, and anything else I should know - including official sites, my German is improving lately :proud:

I'd be glad to provide similar information about vacation apartments in Paris

Thanks!

K

kap-C

There are a number of agencies in Berlin dealing with the letting of vacation apartments/furnished apartments. Google should provide some information in this respect. Even if you intend to do the marketing/letting yourself, you would want somebody locally that looks after the cleaning, maintenance etc. Such an agency would also be able to help you in respect of legalities etc. I know of one agency in Berlin, who take 15% of the rental income plus VAT.

I

Ittai66

Earlier stages

Thanks, kap-C

I'm well aware of that, but I lack information regarding the legal formation of such business: do I need the consent of the neighbors (and is it indeed practiced)? Should the apartment pass any inspection by some municipal or state agency (it may sound absurd, but I have heard about such thing)?

However, I would be glad to know of that managing company - 15%+VAT is a fair price

thanks again

K

kap-C

Under the terms of use of this forum I am not allowed to post the details of the management company here and I can neither send you a PM, but will gladly do so once you have reached the minimum number of postings to enable private messaging.

I

Ittai66

Thanks, I hope I'll be able to accumulate these points within the near future...

P

planner21

I too am hoping to hear from people on this subject, as I need a new management agent for my existing property in Berlin. I never had any 'state' inspection on my apartment or anything like that. It was all pretty easy.

I

Ittai66

Neighbors

Another thing that should be considered: in certain shared buildings neighbors' consent is necessary to make it legal.

K

kap-C

Another thing that should be considered: in certain shared buildings neighbors' consent is necessary to make it legal.
I am not sure about that, but I recently saw a television report about this and about the fact that "normal" tenants are becoming increasingly irritated about their neighbour flats being used as holiday lets (people in and out at all times of day and night in variyng states of intoxication etc. ...).

A factor, that should be considered, however, is that a holiday let may constitute a commercial use of the premises, which may be illegal in a purely residential property. Again, try to find (Google or PM me) a letting agency in Berlin, that specializes in this kind of thing.