Construction designs in Brasil

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelbush

I note that many Spanish developers here are using designs similar to those in Spain. Lots of glass, balconies for sun, and air conditioning either pre-installation or fully installed. My architect has made his comments that these designs will be a disaster waiting to happen, unless the owner is living there, or unless there is a very high rate of occupancy. Why? Close up an apartment with no air circulation and very quickly everything will get mildewed!

M

michaelbush

The building designs the locals use have lots of air circulation to combat this- even wardrobes are often open fronted with slatted shelves etc. Furniture is never placed against walls - they always leave a space for air circulation. An English pal who is reforming a beach house near Buzios left his car garaged and closed, and returned a month later to find all the seats mildewed! So I suggest you study plans and check to see that there is provison for air circulation in the design so you do not need aircon running all year when you are not there! If you are buying in an Aparthotel similar to ones I have to offer, then it will be aired every day even when not in use, so would not be an issue, but others will suffer if not regularly aired. There are many design features used to achieve circulation of air and therefore European constructors should collaborate with Brasilian architects so as to ensure suitability of design in relation to climatic conditions.

B

beenthere

The building designs the locals use have lots of air circulation to combat this- even wardrobes are often open fronted with slatted shelves etc. Furniture is never placed against walls - they always leave a space for air circulation. An English pal who is reforming a beach house near Buzios left his car garaged and closed, and returned a month later to find all the seats mildewed! So I suggest you study plans and check to see that there is provison for air circulation in the design so you do not need aircon running all year when you are not there! If you are buying in an Aparthotel similar to ones I have to offer, then it will be aired every day even when not in use, so would not be an issue, but others will suffer if not regularly aired. There are many design features used to achieve circulation of air and therefore European constructors should collaborate with Brasilian architects so as to ensure suitability of design in relation to climatic conditions.
Is this a sales pitch or constructive criticism?? :D

M

michaelbush

This is neither a sales pitch or constructive criticism. I do not need to prove anything- time will tell! It is a warning for those, like you, who do not live here, to be aware that building designs for this type of climate are not like those in Europe, and the European or Spanish design does not work in Spain unless it is modified to achieve air circulation. So study the plans and ask the questions. If the only way to prevent mildew is through aircon drying the air, then what does one do when the place is not used? Leave the aircon running? Not really an option is it? If you do come to Natal I would be pleased to show you exactly what I mean, introduce you to architects, constructors etc so you can understand my point.

B

beenthere

This is neither a sales pitch or constructive criticism. I do not need to prove anything- time will tell! It is a warning for those, like you, who do not live here, to be aware that building designs for this type of climate are not like those in Europe, and the European or Spanish design does not work in Spain unless it is modified to achieve air circulation. So study the plans and ask the questions. If the only way to prevent mildew is through aircon drying the air, then what does one do when the place is not used? Leave the aircon running? Not really an option is it? If you do come to Natal I would be pleased to show you exactly what I mean, introduce you to architects, constructors etc so you can understand my point.
So you mentioning that the property you sell won't have this problem is not a sales pitch???

I have been there many times over the last 4 years and am fully aware of the climate in and around Natal.

All the people that I know who run resorts for overseas investors also have someone go into the empty places each day to make sure that it is aired properly, because as you say the place is not great for renting or holidaying in otherwise.

M

michaelbush

So what you are saying BT, is that it really will not matter too much if the mediterranean design properties' designs are transferred to a climate like in NE Brasil. Fine - you have your opinion, I have advice from Brasilian architects and I know who I will believe!! Not all resorts have a management and letting service that runs a rental pool system. If you are the owner and not there you may like to believe the hype aboout really checking on the apartment ever day. It will not happen epsecially if occupancy rates are low. And I too try to research offerings so that I can help potential investors make a choice that suits their purpose. I prefer to steer people away from potential problems and not look just for the fast buck. As I have previously stated I do not depend on my work to live. By the way BT what have you bought here in Brasil and where?

Status
Not open for further replies.