ad

Care Homes

G

Geoff Spires

Hi, I am new to the forum. Does any one have experience in buy to let Home Care? The returns seem good at 8% to 10% - there does seem to be a growing demand, but what are the problems / main issues?

D

diyhelp

The care home industry is under huge pressure at the moment as a consequence of the coronavirus pandemic. While the UK population is still ageing, it seems inevitable we will see a raft of new regulations post the pandemic. Personally, I would look to wait until the dust settles because this has been a notoriously difficult sector in which to make money.

G

Geoff Spires

Thank you for this info. Being retired, I am looking for good longer term returns - my plan would be to invest in 1 or 2 Care Home units at a cost of 70 k to 80 k each during the course of 2021. Do you have specifics as to why this has been such a difficult sector in which to make money and any particular downside to this sector?

G

Geoff Spires

Any one out there who has personal experience in investing in Care Homes?

E

Emma111190

Are you looking to invest in former care homes or active ones?

A drawback is the care homes reputation.. a bit like a schools Ofsted inspection. A bad rep in the local area can have a detrimental effect.

G

Geoff Spires

Thank you. I will be looking at active care homes with good recent history / reputation in a demand area, which would ideally have a waiting list.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
There is a private care home in the highlands of Scotland which has just been taken over by the local authority. As Emma1111190 said, be careful as I very much doubt they would have paid anywhere near the full commercial value - if they paid for it at all!

G

Geoff Spires

Thank you I will certainly be following up later with Nicholas re Mentorship.
Is there anyone who is currently or just recently entered the Home Care market who could offer some good advice on do's and don'ts - good and bad locations - Residential Care homes vs Care homes vs Nursing homes..... and also on recommending the right agent(s).

L

lookinginvest

There must come a point when these nursing homes are good value for money? Even if you have to factor in a difficult couple of years and then some kind of return to normality?

L

lookinginvest

It does look as though people are not waking up to the problem of an ageing population and the need for suitable accommodation. Investment in care homes is a pittance compared to commercial property. Maybe now, with all the doom and gloom, is the time to look at care homes?

R

rugsters

The demands will shift and this will the new norm in our society. If you pioneered in this then fortune will be yours.

L

lookinginvest

What would you recommend @rugsters ?

I think this is a time we will look back on and wish we had acted.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
How do you gain access to that link Geoff?